Widgets Magazine

Thread: Home builders (MWC) Price range: $250k - $350k

Default Home builders (MWC) Price range: $250k - $350k

First thanks for reading my post. My question as you can probably tell from the title is who you consider to be a good builder (new home construction). My price range is $250-$350k for a house that has 4 bedrooms and 3+ bathrooms (approx 2500-3000 sq feet). Basically who's trustable? Who's easy to work with? Who uses good quality products and has the know-how to do the job right?

A second question is what do you think of SWM&Sons? Have you dealt with them? Any opinons/concerns?

Finally feel free to offer any advice on building a home i.e. things to know and to watch out for...

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice you can offer me...

Default Re: Home builders (MWC) Price range: $250k - $350k

Check your PM....

Check your PM...

So many builders are allied these days under the banner of a "corporate" building entity it makes knowing who is really good/bad much harder, and lots of smaller builders have gotten out due to the market.

I can offer that I've heard *nothing* good about Ideal Homes. Anecdotal stories of substandard construction, to the point that one land developer in the area stopped selling lots to them - stories about foundations eroding/failing, walls sagging, and at best they drag their feet on fixing issues.

I recommend pursuing an individual builder anyway, because their name and their reputation goes on every house they build. You can get better information on a specific builder rather than general info on a building "company" (eg Ideal Homes). Also, take a visit to some local electrical and plumbing shops that work as subs for new home construction and ask them who *they* recommend as a builder.

Next best thing to do is to go out and look at the kind of house your builder constructs, *not* how well he/she appoints the house after its finished. Many people get suckered by a great looking spec house and have no idea the innards are junk. And don't think that just because you're buying a relatively expensive house that it will get you a "good" builder - I've seen some of the dirtiest tricks done by builders in some of the most expensive houses around.

As examples, for me, look for walls built with studs on 16" centers; look for roof construction using W-style flashing in the valleys rather than just shingles; look for copper plumbing rather than flexline; look for an excavated, steel-reinforced footing and stemwall in the construction of the foundation. Some of these items are mandated by construction covenants in the additions where the home is located. Ask a builder how often they personally visit each job site, or do they relegate that to a site foreman? Mind you, the absence/presence of any one item doesn't necessarily imply a bad (good) builder, but they generally point to the kind of home that builder *does* build, and where the corners may be cut.

Many of the really good builders I knew when I built my current home have retired and/or passed away, unfortunately...

Good luck in your search for a quality builder!

-SoonerDave

SoonerDave, Thank you for all of that great info. I am completely ignorant when it comes to home building - i will be sure to use your suggestions in narrowing down a builder. Thanks again!

6. Default Re: Home builders (MWC) Price range: $250k - $350k

I've heard similar experiences about Home Creations. Crumbling foundations especially. They'll make it look pretty, but it falls apart. I heard this from one of their finish carpentry contractor's mouths, "I'd never buy one of these pieces of crap".

7. Default Re: Home builders (MWC) Price range: $250k - $350k

You want a modern home? I could design it for you.

MySpace.com - greg - 33 - Male - OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - www.myspace.com/homesbygregsmith

Greg Smith, custom homebuilder's site. There are pics to look through. He pretty much builds in the east metro, but does a little in the southside/Moore area too. Friendly guy and will let you look through his spec homes.

SWM & Sons is excellent. I have several friends who used them and they are 100% satisfied. Stan (the owner/builder) is a local guy who takes pride in every house they build.

SWM and Sons has built two houses for me. I've been very pleased with both of them. Very easy to work with and do quality work.

Thread Information