Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cuppies & Joe

Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Is Cuppies and Joe still open? Every time I go there they are closed. If not, they have extremely strange hours for a "neighborhood/college" coffee shop.

My husband brought back a half dozen last week. They are open on Friday and Saturday until 11. Not sure what time they open. They are closed on Sunday and Monday so maybe you happen to go by on those days?

They open at noon...

4. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

From the Owners:

"ANNOUNCEMENT:
    Dear friends and family of Cuppies~ 11.5 years ago we opened Cuppies & Joe with a desire to create a community around the table and have been so honored to see that become a reality. We have had the privilege of being a part of major milestones/events in your lives, daily studies, moments of grief, and everything in between and it is something we have never taken lightly. We have loved being a part of the local business community here and especially being a small part of the @uptown23rd revitalization. Since opening, we have seen our family grow from 5 to 16 (#16 arriving 2 weeks ago). Months ago we started thinking & praying about the future for the shop and, through many tears, we have decided it is time for us to step away to be with our children, grandchildren, aging parents, etc.
    Our hope is that someone with the same heart for the community would take Cuppies, breathe new life into it and make it their own. We plan to remain open in some capacity through the month of June and hope to have some sort of goodbye at the shop to see your faces (or the unmasked part of your faces).
    We will be entertaining offers through the month of June for a potential purchaser of the business. If interested, please send serious inquiries to info@cuppiesandjoe.com

We cannot thank you all enough for believing in and supporting our sweet little shop all of these years. We have been forever changed by the relationships we have built here."

Well that's disappointing to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Well that's disappointing to hear.
    That's too bad. My wife loves this place. It sounds like this was a bigger decision than just being hurt by the pandemic.
    We wish them good luck from here!

Hopefully someone else carries the torch. I didn't personally go to this place that often but I know a lot of people did and I want to see local places like this stick around.

As a former barista at Cuppies (over a decade ago now - which is absolutely mind boggling to me) I'm very sad to see it close. However, the Diefenderfers definitely deserve a break and I'm hopeful that some like-minded people are able to continue its success. As good as the cupcakes are, I'll miss the orange brownies, Oreo cookies (especially the original recipe!), and Peggy's pies even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    As a former barista at Cuppies (over a decade ago now - which is absolutely mind boggling to me) I'm very sad to see it close. However, the Diefenderfers definitely deserve a break and I'm hopeful that some like-minded people are able to continue its success. As good as the cupcakes are, I'll miss the orange brownies, Oreo cookies (especially the original recipe!), and Peggy's pies even more.
    I miss Peggy. They are all good people.

Sad news! I wish them the best in retirement!

Has anyone tried out Cuppies since this? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kevok View Post
    Has anyone tried out Cuppies since this? Thoughts?
    Yeah, we have, weren't too impressed with them before they retired and pretty much the same. For reference, we like Elemental and Classen.

My only thing with new owners is that you need to check their social media before going because they open and close as the please rather than set hours. I’d hate to travel there and then they are closed so make sure to check social media as they close early or completely for day pretty frequently

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    My only thing with new owners is that you need to check their social media before going because they open and close as the please rather than set hours. I’d hate to travel there and then they are closed so make sure to check social media as they close early or completely for day pretty frequently
    That's a crappy way to run a business.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's a crappy way to run a business.
    I feel like this was super common for almost all OKC local businesses 5+ years ago. It was even worse then because none of them kept up with social media or their google business listings. My wife and I basically gave up on supporting local after so many empty treks from Yukon to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by okcoolcoolcool View Post
    I feel like this was super common for almost all OKC local businesses 5+ years ago. It was even worse then because none of them kept up with social media or their google business listings. My wife and I basically gave up on supporting local after so many empty treks from Yukon to the core.
    It's gotten better since then, apparently - that's about the time we moved to Venice, and we've had very few experiences with unannounced closures around the core since then, and we go to *lots* of local places in the area bounded by 235, 44, 63rd, and Reno (almost exclusively for eating/drinking, and mostly local for retail). Weather has been the reason for most of the unannounced closures, which is understandable.

They posted on Jan 11th they were closing due to Covid, then a week later said they remain closed due to personal issues.

I believe they have yet to reopen, and this is starting to become ominous.

It seems from all indications that this business is permanently closed.

Thread Information