Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cuppies & Joe

Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Just a heads up, if you are wanting a dozen or more, make sure you call early in the day or the day before to put your order in.

We've been to C&J a couple of times now (as well as Sara Sara), and it's been a wonderful experience. The coffee, both brewed and espresso based, is of very nice quality with one of the most modest price tags I've come across. As we sipped our drinks today, the rooms were lively and full. During our hour long stay some 25-30 new people came though - I just hope the staff can keep up the quality of service demanded from such a turnover.

I haven't tried the coffee yet,
    A final word on the coffee - I'd rate it just slightly below Coffee Slingers, and probably better than Red Cup - it's fresh and there's certainly nothing to complain about. Lastly, I did try the coffee at Sara Sara, it was the most expensive of the lot at around $2.70, and not very good (it seems like a an afterthought in their model).

Quote Originally Posted by SavageDigital View Post
    I just hope the staff can keep up the quality of service demanded from such a turnover.
    They have hired on 3 employees working part time. Come summer time, they will have a lot more help, 1 daughter is a teacher and the other is in college. That said, they still are swamped on the weekends when the whole family is working. My wife has volunteered up there the past 2 Saturdays because they have been slammed the entire day. At times, its all they can do to keep the shelves stocked.

I still think Cuppies & Joe needs to do something about their sign. It's so easy to miss because the sign is very small and the colors do not stand out. I had driven by there dozens of times and never had noticed it. ANyone else have this problem?

It is hard to notice if you don't already know where it is or aren't looking for it.

My wife and I ventured out to Cuppies & Joes for the first time tonight. We were fortunate to find street-side parking right in front. First thing I noticed about the place is that it does not resemble any other coffee shop or cupcake place I've ever been to. Instead, the place looks like a house with different rooms which feature couches, chairs, tables, etc. I liked the uniqueness of the layout.

The place was definitely hopping. We arrived around 7:30 and the place was packed. There was a whole mix of people, including families, college kids, older adults, and young kids. I was and still am a bit bewildered about how this place has been able to be so apparently successful. I've been to a number of coffee shops around this time of day and they can be absolutely desolate (i.e., coffee slingers).

On to the food...We have the OKC City Card which lets us get 1 cuppie free with an order of a cuppie and a drink. So we got a vanilla with buttercream frosting, vanilla with chocolate frosting and a hot chocolate.

The cupcakes are the size of your normal cupcake. From what I hear, Sara Sarah cupcakes are larger. Nevertheless, these cupcakes were GREAT. No complaints at all. They were moist with just the right amount of frosting. They were also not so large so where you felt like you were killing your diet. They were just perfect. We ordered the small hot chocolate and it came in quite a big mug. It was a nice, standard hot chocolate.

One cannot complain about the prices. Our hot chocolate was $1 something, and the cuppie was $2.

All in all, I have to say that this place is pulling off something pretty special. The atmosphere is relaxed, the people are friendly, the food is tastey and the prices are very affordable. It also has a very "active" feel to it, with workers buzzing around and conversation going at a fast clip.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It is hard to notice if you don't already know where it is or aren't looking for it.
    Metro, are you gonna give this place another shot? Seems like they may have just had an off day when you first visited them.

Yes, I will definitely give them a few more tries. It's hard because even Sara Sara doesn't come close to the upscale cupcake places I've had in California. Amazing!

9. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Yeah we know...

10. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

lol.

Yes, I will definitely give them a few more tries. It's hard because even Sara Sara doesn't come close to the upscale cupcake places I've had in California. Amazing!

For Pete's sake! Enough about your California cupcakeries. You're in Oklahoma, not California!

I only said it like once or twice, everyone just keeps quoting the same quote. How about enough with the quoting. And If you know me or read many of my posts, I prefer local places, but simply stating the obvious that the local cupcakeries don't hold a candle to out of state gourmet cupcakeries. Keep in mind San Fran is like the foodie capital of America.

I only said it like once or twice, everyone just keeps quoting the same quote. How about enough with the quoting. And If you know me or read many of my posts, I prefer local places, but simply stating the obvious that the local cupcakeries don't hold a candle to out of state gourmet cupcakeries. Keep in mind San Fran is like the foodie capital of the western part of America.
    There, fixed that for you....I think NYC probably blows San Francisco out of the water, Chicago is probably up there as well but San Francisco is the best of the cities out west.

They definitely have a following. They have over 500 friends on their facebook apge.

I and about 40 of my coworkers will never step foot in this place again. We had just tried Sara Sara cupcakes yesterday and wanted to try this one to compare. We tried to get a dozen and were turned away. Apparently, they will only sell you 6 or less. I could understand if they had run out not being able to fill an order, but an hour after opening? And, seriuosly, can't you bake another batch if you feel you are running low? It's not like they take a long time to bake. Trying to give the new company some business and they make it hard to do business with. I'll stick with Sara Sara...

Me and a friend of mine tried Cuppies and Joe last Saturday evening. It was about 6pm I believe. We got in line to order and noticed there were only a few cupcakes left in the case. As we waited to order, the line continued to get longer behind us. We ordered the Na Na and a regular cupcake with chocolate frosting (all they had left). The cupcakes were great! Though smaller, I definitely think they were a bit better than Sara Sara. And the place is very nice and cozy. I just hope they get some more help in there so they can keep up with their business.

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
    I and about 40 of my coworkers will never step foot in this place again. We had just tried Sara Sara cupcakes yesterday and wanted to try this one to compare. We tried to get a dozen and were turned away. Apparently, they will only sell you 6 or less. I could understand if they had run out not being able to fill an order, but an hour after opening? And, seriuosly, can't you bake another batch if you feel you are running low? It's not like they take a long time to bake. Trying to give the new company some business and they make it hard to do business with. I'll stick with Sara Sara...
    See the post below yours as to why they don't allow people to buy more than 6 at a time. They bake non stop from 8am until 9pm. At first every other person came in and would order 1 or 2 dozen and it would completely clean them out. Thats not really fair to the people in line that just want to order 1 or 2 and there is absolutely nothing to choose from. Sure, they would like to be able to sell every person a dozen, but they bake as many as they can and still cant keep up. If you want to order a dozen or more, all you have to do is call a day in advance. I posted a message about this a while back on this thread, its posted on their website and its posted at their store.

Sure it doesn't take long to bake them but to frost them the way they do it takes a few hours of cooling before you can put the frosting on them or else it bleeds into the cake or will melt/slide off, especially with butter creme frosting since they are not as dense as the shortening based frosting.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Sure it doesn't take long to bake them but to frost them the way they do it takes a few hours of cooling before you can put the frosting on them or else it bleeds into the cake or will melt/slide off, especially with butter creme frosting since they are not as dense as the shortening based frosting.
    You mean they can't just open up a box of Betty Crocker and have some cupcakes ready and frosted in 15 minutes????

20. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mecarr View Post
    I still think Cuppies & Joe needs to do something about their sign. It's so easy to miss because the sign is very small and the colors do not stand out. I had driven by there dozens of times and never had noticed it. ANyone else have this problem?
    Not a problem with me, but you may have been brain-washed by the BIG SKY HIGH SIGNS ARE BETTER mentality that pervades Oklahoma in general and OKC in particular. Just like the cupcakes at C&J . . . with signs, smaller is better. And if you have to park a block down the street, the walk just adds to the appetite.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Yeah, I don't think they are having any problems with people knowing where they are. It is always packed when I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    You mean they can't just open up a box of Betty Crocker and have some cupcakes ready and frosted in 15 minutes????
    And you would pay $2.00 for a Betty Crocker cupcake? Their cupcakes are made from scratch. You have to let them cool down awhile while before you can ice them.

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
    They bake and bake and bake, but the demand for cupcakes is so high, especially on a Friday/Saturday. They also bake fresh daily, refusing to use any leftovers from the day before. You can't just whip out a new batch in a few minutes. You must allow time for the cupcakes to cool before icing. They limit to half a dozen so others will have the opportunity to have a cupcake. Call a day ahead of time and they would be glad to have a dozen FRESH cupcakes waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AB'smama View Post
    And you would pay $2.00 for a Betty Crocker cupcake? Their cupcakes are made from scratch. You have to let them cool down awhile while before you can ice them.
    I was being sarcastic. My wife has volunteered there the last few saturdays, I know how hard they work back in the kitchen.

25. Default Re: Cuppies & Joe

Dropped by last Thursday w/ my girl. Loved it! The staff was great and the vibe of the place was unique for OKC. Cupcakes were really moist and the frosting was really good. The girl had a hot chocolate that she raved about all of the way home. I hope that they're around for a long time.

Thread Information