Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bricktown Fire Station

Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

If they are going to display a 1910 fire truck they should include the pole in the display

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    This a a little off subject, but I wish someone with inside knowledge of the OKC Fire Department would start a Fire Department History Thread. I know we have the Fire Fighters Museum, but I would guess several on this Thread would have some good storys/comments to share.

I just turned 50, and lived just W. of Downtown on NW 3rd and Blackwelder until my family moved in 1970, I have fond memories of the Station that was at NW 2nd and Douglas and the fireman that worked there.
    A retired Chief from okc has written down some of the okc history. If you contact the Local 157 union office they might have some information, or can put you in contact with the OkC Retired Firefighters Associatoin

Saw this on the okc.gov website:

Fire Department breaks ground on Bricktown Fire Station
    (February 9, 2010) - Mayor Cornett, Ward 7 Councilman Skip Kelly and Fire Chief Keith Bryant broke ground today on Fire Station 6, 21 North Lincoln Boulevard in Bricktown.

The new fire station will be the first LEED certified building constructed with City funds. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is the nationally accepted benchmark for design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings.

The station will include a reflective roof, recycled material and enhancements designed for low energy consumption. The foyer will feature the City’s first motorized rig, a 1910 fire engine, along with a mural and historical information about the Fire Department. The foyer floor will be made of salvaged brick pavers.

OERB and the Oklahoma Corporation Commission recently completed their 10,000th remediation project on the site, removing contaminated soil left by abandoned oil wells and tanks. The large building currently on the site will be broken down and recycled.

The new station replaces Fire Station 6, NE 8 and Lincoln, and will serve Downtown, Bricktown, the Capitol complex and the Oklahoma Health Center campus.

The $2.9 million station is being funded through the 2000 GO Bond Issue and Capital Use Project Taxes.

City of Oklahoma City | News from OKCGOV

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    ...The $2.9 million station is being funded through the 2000 GO Bond Issue and Capital Use Project Taxes.
    So good to know things are done in a timely manner. The funding for this was 10 years ago.

There was an Oklahoman article a couple of years ago where a audit showed projects having gone undone dating back 3 bond issues and some projects going back 18 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    So good to know things are done in a timely manner. The funding for this was 10 years ago.

There was an Oklahoman article a couple of years ago where a audit showed projects having gone undone dating back 3 bond issues and some projects going back 18 years!
    Not to mention it was funded at $1,875,000. I wonder where the City will get the extra $1,025,000. from?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Not to mention it was funded at $1,875,000. I wonder where the City will get the extra $1,025,000. from?
    While borrowed money (paying interest), maybe the City has been earning interest on it as well. They worked some sort of similar interest miracle under MAPS. Towards the end (2/99, the MAPS tax ended 7/1/99), MAPS Mgr Jim Couch said they had earned just under $4.7M in interest (due to construction delays on the Arena) then somehow according to the City's website, they earned $54M in interest. So who knows?

This project is coming along nicely.

Looks great and much better than I thought it would. Not sure if anyone has taken new pics of this or not.

It was mostly finished on the exterior work back in January. It looked good from 235, like hell from Lincoln.

Thread Information