Widgets Magazine

Thread: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

1. Default Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:12 AM CST
    Office Depot to close 112 stores
    Dallas Business Journal

Office Depot to close 112 stores - Dallas Business Journal:

Anyone hear any rumors of stores in our area? Could the the long-discussed Office Depot in MidTown fade away?

Default Re: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

wow thats is our main supplier for the airport ampco division, we just got bags of supplies today from them.. wow this pre-depression or recession whatever it maybe is starting to affect everybody in one way or another

3. Default Re: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

I think it faded away several months back.

Maybe that's why there is a for sale sign in front of Office Depot in MWC.

i think there will be plenty of office depots left, there is almost 10 in this metro alone, so we might have to drive a little further, hopefully not

> drive a little further

Or have them bring it over. Doesn't add much, cheaper really than the expense of sending someone RT for the supplies.

This economy is going to get much worse...With so many people losing their jobs, what's gonna happen to people's health insurance?

"So many people" aren't loosing their jobs.

edit: Unless they work at Office Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    "So many people" aren't loosing their jobs.

edit: Unless they work at Office Depot.
    Well I think a lot of people are losing their jobs. Last month's job loss was the worst in 36 years. But we're getting off topic here....Poor office depot!

just the other day, I was wondering why there were so many office depots around the city, but not as many Staples. they opened too many stores, kind of like starbucks

I'm guessing at least one of these three goes: Moore, Norman, or the S.W. 74th & Western. The Moore and Norman stores are pretty close in distance, but the store on Western is pretty old, so they might get rid of it.

the one in moore, just recently opened, i woulld think they would keep that one open. my sister out in cali toldme last night mervyns is closing there doors down there, its seems almost daily now we find out major retailers are closing stores or going belly up..

12. Default Re: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    but the store on Western is pretty old, so they might get rid of it.
    Is that the one on 240? That is a very old store and I agree it's probably one to go.

Office Depot to close stores

BY ASHLEY M. HEHER
    Associated Press

Office Depot Inc. said Wednesday it will close about9 percent of its North Americanstores and cut 2,200 jobsover the next three monthswhile planning to open fewer
    locations next year in an effort to cut costs. No Oklahoma stores will close, said company spokeswoman
    Mindy Kramer. Office Depot operates five stores in Tulsa and one in Owasso.....

Tulsa World: Office Depot to close stores

Trevor Davis of the Tulsa World Business
    sta4 contributed to this story.

I

The store at I-240 & Western is the highest grossing store in this area and I am sure that store was paid for long ago so I would doubt it would be one that they will be closing. I believe they moved in there not long after Handyman closed at that location.

Well, I'm glad to hear none of ours are going away. Office Depot is my favorite of the 3 major office supply chains (of which I am aware, that is). There is a young man in the Edmond store who is missing part of an arm and has a shoe lift and happens to be about the most helpful person I've ever worked with. (If I was any good with names, I would have used that instead.)

I did notice they cleared the old Ashley's/Kettle lot. I wonder if they have plans of building a new store on the Ashley's/Kettle lot and removing the old one once the new store is ready for occupancy.

17. Default Re: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

Ashley's has been gone for quite some time. I'm not sure what benefit they would have to putting out the cost for a new building when the lot would be oversized for only an Office Depot. They'd have to create a multi-use plot layout if they did that.

there were plans to put in a shopping strip where ashley's once stood but i think they've since fell through. -M

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Well, I'm glad to hear none of ours are going away. Office Depot is my favorite of the 3 major office supply chains (of which I am aware, that is). There is a young man in the Edmond store who is missing part of an arm and has a shoe lift and happens to be about the most helpful person I've ever worked with. (If I was any good with names, I would have used that instead.)
    His name is Eric. And that store is actually the highest grossing Office Dept in the metro.

None of the OKC stores will be closing down, at least in the first wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    The store at I-240 & Western is the highest grossing store in this area and I am sure that store was paid for long ago so I would doubt it would be one that they will be closing. I believe they moved in there not long after Handyman closed at that location.
    Office Depot owns that building on I-240 and Western. It isn't closing anytime soon. I had asked the manager of that store that very question a few months ago, and he 'splained their situation to me when I thought the Moore store would replace it. That Office Depot location is there for the long haul. I think they got that building on the cheap after it was vacated by a carpet/flooring company, who occupied it after the original occupants, Handyman Hardware Stores, folded tents eons ago.

-SoonerDave

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I did notice they cleared the old Ashley's/Kettle lot. I wonder if they have plans of building a new store on the Ashley's/Kettle lot and removing the old one once the new store is ready for occupancy.
    There were plans for a specialty, security-oriented strip center at that location, as shown at Expect to be impressesed…. The site was listing Fall 08 occupancy, which obviously didn't happen, but there is a construction firm sign in front of the lot.

22. Default Re: Office Depot Closing 112 Stores Nationwide

When I was at the store by Target at NW Expressway & May a couple of days ago, I asked the cashier if that store would be closing. She said, "No."

Thread Information