Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sara Sara Cupcakes

Default Sara Sara Cupcakes

Okay as you all know, they opened the day of or after Thanksgiving. I made a stop by there last week. Looks like they are still putting some finishing touches on both the interior and exterior. They have artificial turf for a lawn (kind of cool, keeps down on the maintenance and looks good all year long, and conserves water).

Anyhow, the cupcakes are $3.25 each. I tried the bacon, egg and cheese (comes with sour cream and chive frosting) and I also got a classic vanilla with chocolate frosting.

I must say I was wanting to like the bacon egg and cheese one, but it is still missing something, it was too sweet tasting, like it had sugar in it or something. The frosting was pretty good, but they need to work on the flavor of the actual cupcake.

The vanilla with chocolate frosting, was very good after growing on me. The frosting they have nailed down perfectly (could use just a touch more), however the actual cupcake itself was a little dry. After eating it though, it left me wanting more.

They are still a far cry from the other gourmet cupcake places I've had outside the state, but they are the closest thing I've had so far in OKC. I'd give the place about a 7.5 with room for improvement. Hopefully since they are new they will work the kinks out and continue perfecting flavors. I'll definitely be back soon to try some more!!

Sara Sara Cupcakes, gourmet cupcakes in Oklahoma City

Default Re: Sara Sara Cupcakes

3.25 ... for a breakfast cupcake. And one that's apparently lacking from its description.

What is it about a cupcake shape that makes this shot at breakfast more interesting than another all in one offering such as the McGriddle?

Anyone try the cupcake shop on 23rd street? I think it's between 23rd and walker and 23rd and classen on the north side. They are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mecarr View Post
    Anyone try the cupcake shop on 23rd street? I think it's between 23rd and walker and 23rd and classen on the north side. They are very good.
    Cuppies and Joe I think... Haven't been in there yet. Need to, though. I believe I went to college with the owner(s).

5. Default Re: Sara Sara Cupcakes

I hope it's better than Hey Cupcake! in Texas. They are the pits.

I heard today that Cuppies and Joe is supposed to be opening their doors for business (they already do catering) in just a couple weeks. I've had a couple of their cuppies and I'm a big fan...

Cuppies and Joe

Quote Originally Posted by amaesquire View Post
    Cuppies and Joe I think... Haven't been in there yet. Need to, though. I believe I went to college with the owner(s).
    Yea that's the name. My wife brought home two of their cupcakes and they were quite tastey. However, they need a better sign for their business. I've driven by there every day for a year and just noticed it the other day when someone pointed it out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    I hope it's better than Hey Cupcake! in Texas. They are the pits.
    What I have had from there has been pretty good. Reps drop off food quite often and it is one of the places that they use. Although, Tiff's Treats is where most of that stuff comes from especially since they have opened up a North Austin location the delivery fee is much less.

bluedog, is the Airstream Cupcake Trailer still on South Congress? I have got to get me an Airstream.

Never heard of cuppies and Joe, will have to try it out too. I hope SaraSara makes it. I just hope they continue to improve or our market gets another gourmet shop, similar to ones I've found in San Francisco. mmmmmmmm. Anyhow I snapped this pic when I ate at Sara Sara last week.

I've have the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese several times... I'm in love with it. Of course it has sugar in it metro... it's a cupcake not a muffin.

Anyway, I was there the day after they opened and guess who showed up... none other than Candace Nelson... of Sprinkles... I think she nearly gave Toni a heart attack.

12. Default Re: Sara Sara Cupcakes

How do you all feel about Sara Sara's price points? They are the exact same price per cupcake and dozen as Sprinkles but Sprinkles is nationally reknown if not world reknown and they have a good reputation. I can't personally speak for the quality of Sara Sara cupcakes and they might as well be worth the Beverly Hills prices but I would have liked to see them priced below $3.25. I would also like to see an 'about' section on the website.

Price point is okay, I wish the cupcakes were "topped" with a crown and not shaved flat even with the cupcake paper, the quality is pretty good, but not as good as some of the chains that I've had. I definitely hope this place makes it though.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    bluedog, is the Airstream Cupcake Trailer still on South Congress? I have got to get me an Airstream.
    Taste no Evil Muffins? next to Maria's? it was still there in late september... unreal muffintop ice cream sandwiches... my stomach gets happy just thinking about those!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I think so, I don't get over on South Congress up that way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Taste no Evil Muffins? next to Maria's? it was still there in late september... unreal muffintop ice cream sandwiches... my stomach gets happy just thinking about those!
    Maria's Taco Xpress? That is on South Lamar.

i think we've had this discussion before about my confusing Congress/Lamar in Austin! i can never keep those straight! but i can keep straight about how great Taste no Evil Muffins are...

Maria's Taco Xpress? That is on South Lamar.[/QUOTE]

I could eat Maria's every mornng if I had the chance...love that place!!!

GRAND OPENING PARTY

SATURDAY, DEC. 13th from 5-9pm
    Live Music
    Free Champagne
    Free Mini Cupcakes
    Milk Moustaches...Etc.

I went to Sara Sara this past Sunday. I was really impressed with how the place turned out. Everything, the exterior, the floors, walls, ceiling, and furniture, is all white. And I loved the fake grass out front! They did an amazing job transforming that old, dilapidated house into what it is today. I hope someone has similar plans for the remaining two houses to the east.

I had the "Crimson and Cream" and my friend had the "Count Chocula". Also, I had a frosted glass of super cold milk (~35 degrees) and he had a glass of eggnog. The cupcakes were great! I believe I got the last Crimson & Cream (which is their version of red velvet) and although it was a bit dry, it was still great. I had to give them a pass on this one, since it was the last cupcake and it was just about an hour before they closed. My friend's cupcake was excellent as well. The little roasted marshmallows and bits of cereal on top were a nice touch. Also, I parked on the street out front, but they do have a parking lot behind the store.

Overall, it was a really great experience. The woman at the counter was very nice. I asked her about their recent Grand Opening Party and she said it was a huge success, with about 800 people in attendance.

Lastly, I emailed Cuppies and Joe. They're looking at opening up for business sometime this week, or as soon as the last two inspectors give their stamp of approval.

Taylor, as in my first couple of reviews of the place, been there 2-3 times now at different parts of the day. There cupcakes are on the dry side and crumbly, but still very good. I called the owner of Cuppies and Joe and she said they are hoping before Christmas but will immediately post on their website when they are going to open as soon as they know if that helps you any.

21. Default Re: Sara Sara Cupcakes

Regarding Cuppies and Joe. I am friends with the owners. Just got over there today to take a little walk through of the restaurant. The interior is really intriguing. Lots of small rooms, nooks, and areas all warmly and uniquely decorated and painted. Local artwork on the walls (and for sale). They will have free wifi available as well.

Not open yet, but as a few of you have mentioned, it's just a matter of days as they are just waiting on the inspectors.

I'm not a big dessert eater, but I have sampled their cupcakes and they are always very moist and very good. I'm not a coffee drinker either, but they are a full coffee shop and the brand new, beautiful espresso machine is all installed and ready to go. Man, I am truly the worst person to review this place, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think of it once they are open.

I can tell you this -- the family that runs it is over-the-top delightful and I know they are very open to constructive feedback so they would love to hear what you think.

Oh, and also, I think the cuppies are going to be around the $2 price point.

22. Default Re: Sara Sara Cupcakes

What are their regular hours?

i haven't been to sara sara, but i have had cuppies and they are absolutely amazing! not only are they cute but they are so tasty! the owners are so incredibly friendly, and their space is so cozy! the old bungalow, located on 23rd, is so intimate and has such a warm atmosphere; my personal favorite is the "book nook". they do have wi-fi, which as a college student, is music to my ears. they should be opening in the next week or so, and would recommend that everyone go and visit, and be prepared to be impressed i know i sure was.

I'm sure they are really great people... just something about the name 'Cuppies and Joe' that bothers me.... 'CUPPIES' c'mon really.... it's like baby talk... "I'd like a cuppie please."

Nope... can't do it LOL

I agree Platemaker, not the best of names IMO either for the same "baby talk" reason.

Thread Information