Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Coach Fired!

1. Default Thunder Coach Fired!

" You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

I'm sure he wasn't surprised at all...God awful team we have but hopefully this will light a fire under them...One thing losing and another getting blown out in EVERY game

Hopefully this opens the door for Avery Johnson

3. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

I feel a little bad. I've spoken with P.J. on the phone and he is extremely nice for being a high roller.

I wish him the best, but this had to be done.

4. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Hopefully he didn't pay for his house and completely relocate everything here.

5. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

He did not. He kept his house in Seattle. Nice enough guy, from what I've heard, but obviously wasn't getting it done. The NBA is a tough gig. Those guys all know what time it is. Good luck in your future endeavors, PJ.

In other news, Avery Johnson, 2006 NBA coach of the year, is sitting on his couch at home. Just a thought.

If Avery Johnson was coach of the year, why is he sitting at home on the couch??

7. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Because Mark Cuban didn't think that he went far ENOUGH in the playoffs the past two seasons. In all fairness, they had the best record in the league before being knocked out in the first round in '06-'07. But Avery IS the fastest coach in the history of the NBA to achieve 50, 100, and 150 wins. He also took the Mavericks to their first-ever NBA finals, eventually losing to Shaq and D Wade. I can't fault him for that last part.

He's by far the best coach on the market right now.

8. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Also, it is well-known that Mark Cuban is an insane person. I personally like him, but he is not playing with a full deck.

9. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Yeah I'm seeing Avery Johnson's name pop up all over the place. Can we afford him?

10. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

I like the Avery Johnson idea. I'm sure the owner's group can afford him. What they can't afford is to continue the current direction, a change was needed. I also wish PJ the best, it's a tough job at this level. I find it ironic should OKC hire Avery after Cuban voted against the team move from Seattle to OKC. Did Avery's staff remain in Dallas or were they replaced also?

11. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

From NBA website today:

Taking over on an interim basis is Scott Brooks, the former scrappy point guard who's a head coach for the first time. Presti can only hope that Brooks, 42, can relate better to a young team looking for direction.

Whether Brooks can keep the gig will likely depend on what kind of progress the Thunder can make and/or who else is available. Former Dallas coach and current ESPN analyst Avery Johnson could be considered. Presti and Johnson do share San Antonio ties. Presti's front-office career began with the Spurs, but he may be reluctant to go back to the San Antonio well after plucking Carlesimo off Gregg Popovich's staff.

Reached on a hunting trip, Johnson told NBA.com that he's "not interested in the Oklahoma job right now." Johnson added that he plans to be "hunting for the rest of the year." Another name with strong local ties is Kelvin Sampson, the former coach at the University of Oklahoma who's currently an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks.

I hope Sampson is not on OKC's radar.

12. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Ugh no Sampson please.

3 years and counting down....

The team played a LOT better tonight, even though we lost. It was a ten point game up until the last minute or so, and the Thunder were always in the game. I don't know whether it was the shock of losing their coach, or that Coach Brooks is a better motivator, but we had a really good shooting percentage and played hard. That makes me hopeful for the future.

During a break in the action of the the O.U./Tex.Tech. game, Brent Mussberger (SP) was talking about how his friend P.J. Carlesimo had been fired as the head coach of the OKC Thunder. Did anyone else happen to catch his comment about the new Thunder owners? He said something to the effect that the new owners had stole the team from Seattle. Anyone else hear that?

Heard it, dinna worry about it. Not the first talking head to get something wrong.

Wrestled it from Seattle, sure, but stole it, awww nopers.

It weren't even too much of a wrestling match. Seattle folk wrestled just long enough to cop a feel or two and then smile and ask Clay if that's his buyout wallet or is he just happy to see them.

17. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    3 years and counting down....
    ??

18. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

I'm with you betts....the players were playing like a different team. They were in the game to the end. If the Thunder can continue their new style of play, this team will win games. It was obvious the players had a spring in their step, high fives, they appeared fired up, all players were contributing. I can't wait for Mason to get back on the court. I watched the Thunder on the big tv with the OU game (sound off) on the little tv, didn't hear the Thunder comments from ABC. I'm looking forward to watching the fired-up Thunder hit the court Tuesday night, hope the crowd shows up and shows them what all the OKC Fan hype was really about.

19. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Very good to hear. It sounds like Carlesimo was a lot of the problem.

20. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. The Seattle folks wanted him gone long before the team left. It's been a downhill slide for a while and he didn't help it any. We need some young blood in there that can fire the boys up and make a difference.

HELL NO TO SAMPSON!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    ??
    He's talking about until the team leaves (I believe OKC has a 3 year guarantee), pay him no attention and support the team.

I agree, if Bennett doesn't get his head out of you know where soon, I wouldn't be surprised if he does hire Sampson. Bennett if you have any of your staffers reading this forum, we DONT WANT SAMPSON. OU got rid of him for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree, if Bennett doesn't get his head out of you know where soon, I wouldn't be surprised if he does hire Sampson. Bennett if you have any of your staffers reading this forum, we DONT WANT SAMPSON. OU got rid of him for a reason.
    That would be a completely boneheaded idea. Sampson would be a disaster in the NBA, IMO. He would lose the players in short order.

agreed betts, hence why I said that, I don't think he's NBA caliber either. But nonetheless, I revert back to my original statement. With the choices Bennett has made thus far though, it surely wouldn't surprise me. He just doesn't get it on so many issues regarding this team.

25. Default Re: Thunder Coach Fired!

In all fairness to Bennett, he had an overflowing plate while in Seattle with getting an arena deal done, personnel changes, law suits, mediocre attendance, a major move and setting up shop within a short timeline, etc. Now with those issues out of the way he can spend more time on quality changes. Remember, a mascot is in the works.

Thread Information