Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Market C (closed)

Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

That is pretty competent competition to go against. Othellos was there when I was in school at OU.

Victoria's, Othellos, and Toto's have been on Campus Corner for 20 plus years. Victoria's and Othellos have had more than one owner. Brothers has been there for over 20 years but it has seen changes too. Campus Corner seems to be a tough place for restaurants. Remember Al Eschbach's? One of the reasons Bob Stoops invested in Louie's on campus Corner was to liven Campus Corner up. Hopefully, Louie's and O'Connell's can help bring some stability to Campus Corner.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    I have no idea what Bates does. What I do know is that he's being a bit of a jerk, even when corrected, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't ever be so obtuse in person to tuck or anyone else. I'd like to know what he does so I can try to understand why he's being combative instead of collaborative, and also so that I can avoid his business.
    That's what he does ... he's the guy than chases down hookers with his video camera and from what I heard in the past has paid them to set some poor guys up so he has his footage, not saying that's true but what I heard.

4. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't ever be so obtuse in person to tuck or anyone else.
    If you knew me you'd know I don't mind saying what's on my mind to anyone, in person or otherwise. One reason I'm one of the few who doesn't use anonymity online to give me confidence to spew B.S.

Steve, sorry to be late back to the party. Been playing with grandkiddos. Y'all be fun, but yeah, no contest on who be funner.

Bigray hit it pretty well in #37. Add to the long term mix Orient Express, another long time player. Not my watering hole, but I imagine Sugar's is still slinging beer at frat boys, and others, who are willing to pay the cover to observe the semi-sorta covered.

One I still miss, even though it's been near on forever since it left, was Town Tavern.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 01-14-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added mini tribute to Town Tavern, (r.i.p.)

6. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    I've only been in Norman for 7.5 yrs, but during that time the constants on CC have been Victorias, Othellos, Totos, La Luna, Hideaway, NY Pizza, Cafe Plaid and Pepe Delgados.
    Not being a Campus Corner regular, my question was sincere. Because it seems as if the casual observer only hears about the failures.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Not when you consider their customer service was lacking and for their price you could easily go out and eat. It was one of those places where I knew a couple of people who loved and it and many who didn't.
    I would say I went to Market C about 25 times when it was open. I never experienced bad customer service. The price point didnt bother me, (I mean do I wish it were cheaper, of course). I think some people liked the appeal of being able to stop and get restaurant quality food that they could reheat at home. Some people like to stay home once they get home from work. I for one will miss their chicken strips, portabello relleno and being able to buy some pops soda when I was in there.

Good Egg also ended their management relationship with POPS.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Any chance you could re-locate and re-open Market C?

I am sure you wouldn't have trouble finding another small space especially nearby along 23rd.
    ??

10. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

okclee, not to answer for Tuck, but it was my understanding that the business model was based on operating Market C out of the same building, same staff as catering. A separate location might not have the same ability to cash flow....

Regarding Campus Corner, Louie's has already been there about five years and before that Town Tavern was there forever.

As for AGE, it seems pretty obvious they are focusing on those businesses that are really thriving. When you have big hits like Cheevers, the orignal Iron Starr and now RePUBlic, why dilute your time and attention on endeavors that aren't yielding the same great results?

I'm just glad they are around and providing OKC with some great dining options in primarily historic, beautifully remodeled buildings. They are one of the best things OKC has going for it and whatever makes them more successful is only going to be good for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Regarding Campus Corner, Louie's has already been there about five years and before that Town Tavern was there forever.
    With a small handful of short timers in between the two. And while I'm not a fan personally, Louie's does appear to have adequate staying power that some others have lacked.

the sad thing about iron star closing in norman .. is that they saw that as their big "growth" vehicle. now i guess they will have to rethink their growth plan ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the sad thing about iron star closing in norman .. is that they saw that as their big "growth" vehicle. now i guess they will have to rethink their growth plan ..
    I remember them saying that too. Interesting to see where they go from here. Again, it could have been that the campus corner location didnt suit them very well. Iron Starr is something that might have done better by locating off I35 ala the Norman Teds.

IMO, Iron Starr would do very well in Edmond.....atleast I would to have them up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    okclee, not to answer for Tuck, but it was my understanding that the business model was based on operating Market C out of the same building, same staff as catering. A separate location might not have the same ability to cash flow....
    I suspected that was the case too, very sad to see Market C closed.

Doesn't Good Egg own the small building on the south east corner of 23rd and Hudson? This has been vacant for the last few years, could be an easy setup to sell a few items out of here?

Also, if anyone is listening.... I think a small New York style pizza parlor could make a nice addition to Uptown 23. (Think Falcone's the original N. May, when it first opened.)

17. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

If you knew me you'd know I don't mind saying what's on my mind to anyone, in person or otherwise. One reason I'm one of the few who doesn't use anonymity online to give me confidence to spew B.S.
    Well aren't you just enlightened as can be? ::eyeroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll Saying what's on your mind to anyone whenever you feel like it! Classy!

Anyway, I'm sorry about Market C. Only once would I say I had questionable customer service, and really, I didn't make what I wanted known, so I can't blame it 100%, and it had nothing to do with prepared food.

The only thing wrong with Iron Starr in Norman was that it was in campus corner, a very tough place to break into. I would love to see Iron Starr open something up in Tulsa, perhaps in the Brookside area. I think it'd do great, as there is not any BBQ restaurant in that area.

Guess the Groupon I bought for Market C was a big waste of money. I forgot to take it with me a couple of times I went, so not long ago I put it in the car so I would remember to use it. Now it's just more trash in my car.

20. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Guess the Groupon I bought for Market C was a big waste of money. I forgot to take it with me a couple of times I went, so not long ago I put it in the car so I would remember to use it. Now it's just more trash in my car.
    Groupon will gladly and quickly refund your money. I bought a Groupon to a BBQ joint that went out of business (I think it may have since reopened) and they refunded my money to my credit card the same day.

Groupon will gladly and quickly refund your money. I bought a Groupon to a BBQ joint that went out of business (I think it may have since reopened) and they refunded my money to my credit card the same day.
    Thanks for the tip. I've already called them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What restaurants on Campus Corner have stood the test of time? I guess La Luna has been there awhile... have others been there more than a few years?
    Oh, geez, hmmm. Othello's, Victoria's, New York Pizza, Hideway, Brothers, Pepe Delgado's. Town Tavern was there about 50 years until their owners decided to stop paying sales taxes. Heck, even the Earth has been on Campus Corner for more than a few years.

People in Norman don't spend $18 a plate on "urban" barbecue. They go to Van's and get the real deal.

23. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Oh, geez, hmmm. Othello's, Victoria's, New York Pizza, Hideway, Brothers, Pepe Delgado's. Town Tavern was there about 50 years until their owners decided to stop paying sales taxes. Heck, even the Earth has been on Campus Corner for more than a few years.

People in Norman don't spend $18 a plate on "urban" barbecue. They go to Van's and get the real deal.
    I've never had an $18 plate of anything at Iron Starr...
    Still corrupting young minds

24. Default Re: Market C Bites The Dust

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

One, I went to Van's lately and it was nothing special for the price. Two, I believe the only thing on the Iron Starr menu that is $18 or more is the tenderloin.

Their prices are actually very good for the quality of the food. The wife and I usually split the $14 large rib dinner and its plenty of food for two.

I love GEG, but one could see it coming, it was too big, formal and pricey for campus corner.

Thread Information