Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Nics, Bunny's, and Rons (sausage burger!)

Yes, it's a chain but Red Robin has the best burgers. The Banzai Burger is to die for. Unlimited fries with the special seasoning. YUMMMMM!

Johnnie's- declining recently
    Braum's - yuck

Best fast food burgers- Sonic

Nelson Ranch House Restaurant at 3rd and S. Trenton in Tulsa has what a friend of mine calls "carnival burgers". They are small, old fashion burgers cooked on a short order grill. The meat is thin and gets browned through. The buns are warmed on the grill too and the flavor is from heaven. Get two or three because they are small, but they are awesome. Tulsa has many older burger joints that have top quality burgers.

My vote is for the onion burger at the cafe inside H&H Gun range. Seriously. One of the better burgers I've ever had. Plus, desert on the firing range right afterward is really good for the digestion! Bang Bang!

The snack bar on the OKC golf course had some awesome burgers back in the 70's. Not sure if it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    The snack bar on the OKC golf course had some awesome burgers back in the 70's. Not sure if it's still there.
    Are you talking about the club house at Lincoln? I used to go there with a friend at noon during the week and eat a burger and watch the old geezers turn the corner. We'd bet nickles on who out of a foursome would get nearest the pin on their tee shot. Without fail, the feeblest guy with the worst form always won. My friend said it was because they were in too bad of shape to walk much if they hit it in the rough or had extra shots.

We always played at Hefner and they had the best burgers, it was never the same after the remodel when they went from the old, well seasoned griddle to the "chargrilled" type. I didn't play Lincoln much but I think they had a pretty good one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Are you talking about the club house at Lincoln? I used to go there with a friend at noon during the week and eat a burger and watch the old geezers turn the corner. We'd bet nickles on who out of a foursome would get nearest the pin on their tee shot. Without fail, the feeblest guy with the worst form always won. My friend said it was because they were in too bad of shape to walk much if they hit it in the rough or had extra shots.
    The place I'am talking about was a small bldg. out on the course of the OKC golf and country club, just N. of N.W. 63rd between May and Penn.. I just looked at streetview and there's still a bldg. in that spot but, doesn't look like the one I remember.Anyway, they had good burgers.
    Last edited by gen70; 11-20-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add

Every once in a while, I like a Steak n Shake burger, usually the mushroom and onion. They have a new one on the menu -- Wisconsin Butter Burger. Yummmm.

Alright, since I mentioned Dan's in an earlier post, I'm going to mention one that may not be as popular. I love the Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger at TGI Friday's! It's a bacon cheeseburger, but also has a fried provolone patty added to it with the cheddar cheese. It's amazing!

Ya know... Good burgers are just good..

Went to Meers a month ago on the Harleys. What a nice ride down & back on the back roads. The Meers burger use to cover the whole pan tin, not now its much smaller and the price went up. I wasn't impressed, I like Dan's and want to try the Bunny Shack. Johnnie's is good and so is Sids in El Reno.

Not just a burger, but the Patty Melt at McNellie's is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Not just a burger, but the Patty Melt at McNellie's is excellent.
    Ha, I just had that last night, betts! I have to agree, it is quite excellent. On the other hand, the 3 dollar Wednesday burgers from McNellie's are as tasty as hockey pucks. I know, I know its a 3 dollar burger, what does one expect, but still...

Don't yell at me, please...but I love Braum's burgers in the fast food category. Funny, everyone else I've met from the east coast agrees that Braum's has just like the best fast food burger ever, but when I say that to the locals I get frowns or things thrown at me. Why is that? You guys don't know what a good thing you've got. Really.

Kobe burger at Red Prime. The best burger 20 dollars can buy. It is truly a 20 dollar burger.

Onion burgers from 15th Street Grill or Bunny's, or Johnny's Grill or Sid's Diner in El Reno (that's all I've tried really, so I just like onion burgers in general)

Meers burger is good for the experience more than for the burger, but still a tasty treat.

Used to like the No Name burger at Irma's, but for some reason its fading on me. Don't know why. Theta burger is pretty good.

Braum's is one of the best "fast food" burgers, we all know the service is lacking at most of the stores but it doesn't make the burger any less tasty. We usually stop at the Braum's in Hillsboro, Texas on the way back to Austin (the furthest south store on I-35) to stock up on milk and other stuff and many times that is about dinner time so we will eat there and it is consistently good.

We have quit going to Johnnie's, the last few times we went when we were up there it was disappointing and my parents have said that it has declined further...I don't really know what happened, I wonder if the sons are still running them.

PawPaw's in Chickasha is my favorite, followed by J&W Grill. I also like Irma's Burger Shack.

I love Braums burgers, too. Not the fries, though.

Meers burger is over rated and way overpriced.

We stopped at Meers on the way up earlier this year, it was not the same as I remember. Maybe their "fame" has gone to their heads.

Have to agree with the Braums burger as one of the better fast food burgers around. I like the pepper they put on it, and agree the fries aren't worth the calories. But they are dominated by Charcoal Oven in the burger category, it trumping Johnnie's onion rings as well. I've been disappointed in Johnnie's lately too. Either my taste buds have changed, or they've changed some ingredient in the Johnnie's sauce.

I used to love burgers from Johnnie's but anymore it seems like the only flavor comes from the toppings on the burger, not the meat itself. Makes me think the patties are the frozen kind that goes straight from the freezer to the grill.

I will have to agree with betts, Charcoal Oven is great. I'm sad that the West location was closed, as it's closer to my office.

I'm on the fence regarding burgers from Braum's. It's like, when they're good they're great but when they're bad they're horrid. Also, seems like their buns are stale more often than not.

I love Charcoal Oven but it has been years since I went. Need to stop by, next month.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Have to agree with the Braums burger as one of the better fast food burgers around. I like the pepper they put on it, and agree the fries aren't worth the calories. But they are dominated by Charcoal Oven in the burger category, it trumping Johnnie's onion rings as well. I've been disappointed in Johnnie's lately too. Either my taste buds have changed, or they've changed some ingredient in the Johnnie's sauce.
    Agree with you Charcoal Oven has the better O rings. Less breading means more onion flavor. Johnnie's have become too dominated by the taste of the breading. The burgers at C.O. are better too, as you have observed. Can't beat that good old honest to goodness charcoal taste. AND they are nice to you! Johnnies has adopted the "we're doing you a favor just by being here" attitude. I hate that. Johnnie himself was a great guy who got fed up being pushed around at the Split T, went out on his own, took over the old "Mr. Mac's" drive in on Britton Road and University and made history. Where is the Split T now?????? Wish his offspring were as nice as he was.

I think Stumpy's in Bricktown is delicious.

Prunepicker Guest

Prunette and I love Bunny's Onion Fried Burgers just south of N.W. 50th and
    N. Meridian. They're as good as Johnnie's in El Reno or Geary.

Prunepicker Guest

Agree with you Charcoal Oven has the better O rings. Less breading means
    more onion flavor. Johnnie's have become too dominated by the taste of
    the breading. The burgers at C.O. are better too, as you have observed.
    Can't beat that good old honest to goodness charcoal taste. AND they are
    nice to you!
    The Charcoal Oven makes one great burger. I've eaten there since the
    60's and every time I say to myself, "why don't I eat here more often?"
    Yeah, the Charcoal Oven is expensive but you can't expect the best burger
    at McDonald prices.

Johnnies has adopted the "we're doing you a favor just by being here"
    attitude. I hate that. Johnnie himself was a great guy who got fed up being
    pushed around at the Split T, went out on his own, took over the old "Mr.
    Mac's" drive in on Britton Road and University and made history. Where is
    the Split T now? Wish his offspring were as nice as he was.
    Johnnie's has a good Caesar Burger. You're right about the breading on the
    onion rings. I really like them but less breading would be better. I've not
    noticed the "we're doing you a favor" attitude at Johnnies. We've been
    eating at the one on the southside.

Man, the Split-T was incredible. Everything was perfect. The Theta
    burger! Oh yeah! Fries! Man, to have some Split-T fries.

Thread Information