Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

[QUOTE=Prunepicker;282849]I'm not sure what's going on. Is Johnnie Hanyes the owner of Johnnies?
    I don't notice the resemblance in the food.

The Split-T's Theta Burger should be listed as one of the best burgers in
    history.

Prune:
    Theta - has that smoke sauce on it. That sauce is Johnnie Haynes' creation. And it was that smoke sauce that caused the falling out between Johnnie and the owner of Split T. Which led to the creation of Johnnie's.

Quote Originally Posted by nik4411 View Post
    Is this Slpit-T's not around anymore? I've never heard of it before
    It was at Western & Grand where Sonic is/was located. I think it closed up in the mid to late 90's. Is the Sonic still there? We drove around the Chesapeake area when we were up for Thanksgiving but I don't recall seeing Sonic. Maybe I just don't see them anymore because they are everywhere.

3. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Yeah, the Sonic is still there. But it's not the same as Split T during its prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yeah, the Sonic is still there. But it's not the same as Split T during its prime.
    Nowhere close...even compared to when it was more bar than restaurant and the burgers nowhere near what they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    There is a Split T sign there at the Sonic where the Split T parking was.

Prunepicker Guest

The Sonic is really in the place where you parked to order your burgers on
    a speaker. They'd buzz you when your order was ready and you'd drive
    across the street to the pick up window.

The Split-T was on the N.W. corner of N.W 56th & N. Western and the
    Sonic is on the S.W. corner.

Prunepicker Guest

[quote=RealJimbo;283110]
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Theta - has that smoke sauce on it. That sauce is Johnnie Haynes' creation.
    And it was that smoke sauce that caused the falling out between Johnnie and
    the owner of Split T. Which led to the creation of Johnnie's.
    I never knew that. I'll have one the next time we're at Johnnie's.
    When did the falling out occur? Do you know who the owner of the Split-T
    was?

While I still occasionally eat at Johnnie's, in my opinion, it's no where near the quality it use to be. I think their expansion has had something to do with maintaining quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    While I still occasionally eat at Johnnie's, in my opinion, it's no where near the quality it use to be. I think their expansion has had something to do with maintaining quality.
    One thing I hate about Johnnie's is they put so much cheese on the burger that it doesn't melt and makes the burger patty cold!..

Not only that the last two times I ordered out from them the burger patties looked like they had been sitting on the grill for a week and were about the size of a hockey puck but not as thick!..

[QUOTE=Prunepicker;283315]
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    was?
    I once knew who owned it but can't recall now. It was definitely a hang-out for a lot of us. Dark and a little dingey inside, a weird ordering system - mentioned above - stop at the ordering speaker, drive around behind the building, park and wait for someone to come out with your food and try to find you. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Agreed, but the snotty attitude is more of a problem for me. They seem to think they have a power over their customers that will keep them coming back no matter how they treat them.

12. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

The last time Prunette and I ate there, last month, the burgers were very
    bad. The meat was dry and the patties were broken. I emailed the manager
    and he sent us a coupon to try it again. We're hoping it was a one time
    incident because Shorty has made some great burgers in the past.
    Where is there a Shorty Smalls still in business?

a weird ordering system - mentioned above - stop at the ordering speaker, drive around behind the building, park and wait for someone to come out with your food and try to find you. Crazy.
    Isn't that kind of like Charcoal Oven?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    In order:

Shorty Smalls
    Irma's
    O'Connel's
    Flat Tire burger
    Pops
    Red Robin
    Johnnie's
    Boomerang
    Fat Sandwhich
    Ive heard mixed reviews on Flat Tire.. I've been meaning to try it..

14. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    There's one at Reno & Meridian.
    According to a friend, they have a wonderful roach salad special on Mother's Day.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    On the S.W. corner of S. Meridian and W. Reno.

Isn't that kind of like Charcoal Oven?
    No. It's a sit down restaurant.

WOW.. Im eating a Freddy's Burger right now and it is AMAZING!! Best fast food hamburger imo!

[QUOTE=Prunepicker;283315]
    was?
    I don’t know the history on all of this, but he Split T of the 90s wasn’t the original Split T…….. I’m wondering if the original is where all of this hamburger dispute might have started?

The Split T from the 90s was operated by my sister’s boyfriend at the time. She was Miss Oklahoma while they were together – around ’94. I forget his name. Chad I think? His step dad bought it for him. I know his step dad was in construction and lived over on Lake Overholser. He may still own that property where the Sonic is. I would assume so because it’s called the Split T Sonic.

I was personally never that impressed with those Split T burgers…..I may have only had it once, but it seemed rather small to me at the time.

I tried Ron’s yesterday…….sausage/cheeseburger with chili. Wow! I wonder how many calories that was? LOL It was pretty tasty. Not cheap, but tasty. It’s right up from my house in Mayfair West. Probably the best little place to grab a bite to eat near me. I’ll probably be back there.

[QUOTE=Fastfwd;283676]

I don’t know the history on all of this, but he Split T of the 90s wasn’t the original Split T…….. I’m wondering if the original is where all of this hamburger dispute might have started?

The Split T from the 90s was operated by my sister’s boyfriend at the time. She was Miss Oklahoma while they were together – around ’94. I forget his name. Chad I think? His step dad bought it for him. I know his step dad was in construction and lived over on Lake Overholser. He may still own that property where the Sonic is. I would assume so because it’s called the Split T Sonic.

I was personally never that impressed with those Split T burgers…..I may have only had it once, but it seemed rather small to me at the time.

I tried Ron’s yesterday…….sausage/cheeseburger with chili. Wow! I wonder how many calories that was? LOL It was pretty tasty. Not cheap, but tasty. It’s right up from my house in Mayfair West. Probably the best little place to grab a bite to eat near me. I’ll probably be back there.
    Your sisters boyfriend bought the Split-T/ T-Bar from 3 guys, who bought the original Split-T/ T-Bar, from the original Split-T owner.

Yeah, I recall him telling me something about the original owner…..he was maybe a former OU football player? Got caught up in a drug scandal or something maybe? I don’t remember for sure.

Burgers and drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    Yeah, I recall him telling me something about the original owner…..he was maybe a former OU football player? Got caught up in a drug scandal or something maybe? I don’t remember for sure.
    The 3 Guys group had former OSU QB Rusty Hilger as a partner, they sold it in 1994, I think the original owner was out of the picture by the time they sold it to 3 Guys.

I vaguely remember something about the owner or manager after them having some issues with the law/drugs after they morphed it from a full time restaurant to a part time restaurant/club. It closed pretty soon after.

Yeah, I don’t know. I know my sister ended up breaking up with him for whatever reasons. I do know I went up there while it was a club with them one night and Chad was a real prick toward me. Drunk and put his hand on my cap and pulled it off my head just being a dick. He was about twice my size at the time.

My sister still talks to him though. I guess he was supportive of her during her divorce which I suppose was nice of him.

I went to Charcoal Burger yesterday for lunch……pretty tasty. Not cheap tho for sure. This thread has me out hitting hamburger joints all over town.

Who owned the Split T in '89, the year the Gang of 12 used it as their crib before going out and thumping a prominent politico of the day?

24. Default Re: Best burgers in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Ive heard mixed reviews on Flat Tire.. I've been meaning to try it..
    It's ranked the best restaurant in the metro area on Urban Spoon, but I went and was underwhelmed. Earl's has a much better burger, as does Irma's.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I haven't been to Shorty Smalls since the restaurant left Edmond, so I'm going on prior experience here, but they had the best mushroom swiss burger I've ever had. They also had some ribs that would make you believe in God. I miss that place.

Thread Information