Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the former news anchors?

1. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    Yeah, Lee's last name passes me. We really must have caught Bella early in her career. Makes me wonder, for you guys in the TV biz. Is there a preference for locally-raised reporters for local stations? Is there sort of a set local-nonlocal mix of talent? Do they hire only those who they think will stay, or are they realistic that some use stations to advance their careers onto bigger markets? Is that a question in the interview process? I'm pretty sure some who thought that they would work here temporarily find themselves wanting to stay.
    There was a theory I heard a long time ago that says when you are trying to remember something, your brain goes to "file cabinets" and tries to retrieve the information. Well, my brain had to look in a lot of cabinets.

The Lee who died was Lee Evans.

2. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Ahh, yes, she's the one. Thanks, mranderson!

Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Gary Lezak, Amy Hawley and Cynthia Gunn are all on the same station in Kansas City, WDAF NBC 41. Lived up there for a few years, recognized them all from here. Saw Devin Schillian on a Detroit station on a friend's satellite dish (he couldn't get his local channels...)

TulsaTV Guest

Lightbulb Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

There is a good bit of information about OKC TV on my site, Tulsa TV Memories (see my profile for the link). Try searches for George Tomek, Bill Mitchell, Foreman Scotty, Ho Ho, Count Gregore, Trust House, etc., and you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by TulsaTV; 12-14-2004 at 11:30 AM. Reason: minor

5. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

I ran into Cherokee Ballard.

She is doing some freelance work for KFOR. She was the reporter with the great big smile on her face as she did a follw-up story about the arrest of Brian Bates. I smiled right along with her as I watched her conduct her interview.

3laf Guest

I have a question. What ever happened to Butch and Ben from channel 5. It was like one day they were on the air. The next day they were gone.

Jay Guest

Here is a little something on Butch and Ben.

http://www.mccainbrothers.com/

8. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Hello guys, just wondering where Amy Hawley (News 9) went. Is she still a news anchorwoman or is she doing something else now?

OUman

Jay Guest

Amy Hawley is now a reporter with an NBC station in Kansas City, MO.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/ab...803733,00.html

Keith Guest

I sure did like Amy. She did an excellent job in reporting and anchoring, plus the fact that she was very attractive didn't hurt either. Thanks, oklacity75 for posting the info, because I always wondered what happened to her.

11. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Thanks oklacity75.

OUman

12. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I sure did like Amy. She did an excellent job in reporting and anchoring, plus the fact that she was very attractive didn't hurt either. Thanks, oklacity75 for posting the info, because I always wondered what happened to her.
    Yes. But of the Amy's, Amy McRee has her beat in looks.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Yes. But of the Amy's, Amy McRee has her beat in looks.
    Hmmm.....I don't know. It would be a very close race. I think they are both very attractive, and I know that Amy McCree is single.

Amy Hawley

Last edited by Keith; 03-18-2005 at 07:03 PM.

14. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Cherokee Ballard has joined the staff of KFOR as a full time reporter. She has been teaching and working freelance, however, she is now full time. Cancer still in remission.

15. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

IIRC, when Channel 9 did their little piece on former anchors, they reported that Patti Suarez was living somewhere in Arizona and had a small business of some sort, perhaps selling knick-knacks of some sort.

I still have some movies on some very old VHS tapes (Sound of Music, 10 Commandments, Wizard of Oz and such) that my parents recorded in the early 80's when we were kids. It's still fun to go back and watch for the commercials and the news teasers at the end of each commercial break. Lots of fun Patti Suarez moments.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Underling
    IIRC, when Channel 9 did their little piece on former anchors, they reported that Patti Suarez was living somewhere in Arizona and had a small business of some sort, perhaps selling knick-knacks of some sort.

I still have some movies on some very old VHS tapes (Sound of Music, 10 Commandments, Wizard of Oz and such) that my parents recorded in the early 80's when we were kids. It's still fun to go back and watch for the commercials and the news teasers at the end of each commercial break. Lots of fun Patti Suarez moments.
    I have always liked Patti Suarez...it was her co-anchor, Roger Cooper, that I could not stand.

BTW, does anybody know what Jerry Adams and Jack Bowen is doing now? They both had brushes with the law, which pretty much ended their broadcasting careers.

Randy Renner.....I remember when he was with Channel 9...he was an excellent reporter, and then he got into some trouble with the police, and he had to leave Channel 9. Last time I saw him, he was reporting for OETA, channel 13.

billywa Guest

Jack Bowen is selling Volkwagens at Cable Volkswagen on 39th.

When the wife and I were in the market awhile back, we talked to him and another salesman on different days. Jack put the hard sell on and freaked out the wife. We bought from the other salesman...

billywa

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by billywa
    Jack Bowen is selling Volkwagens at Cable Volkswagen on 39th.

When the wife and I were in the market awhile back, we talked to him and another salesman on different days. Jack put the hard sell on and freaked out the wife. We bought from the other salesman...

billywa
    Wow.....talk about going from a well known newscaster to a no name car salesman, ole Jack really messed himself up. Thanks for the info, billywa, and I would like to welcome you to this forum .

19. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning.

"I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning."

This is a hateful and ridiculous thing to write. What makes you think a job change would be demeaning? Most TV people work long hours that include holidays and weekend. There is very little job security, contracts that protect the TV station at the expense of the worker, and most do not make much money. Most TV people I know that get out of the biz are much, much happier.

21. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry
    "I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning."

This is a hateful and ridiculous thing to write. What makes you think a job change would be demeaning? Most TV people work long hours that include holidays and weekend. There is very little job security, contracts that protect the TV station at the expense of the worker, and most do not make much money. Most TV people I know that get out of the biz are much, much happier.
    I am aware of the hours a lot of media people work. I have a college degree in the subject, thank you.

Now. Think about it. You are a well known celebrity who is recognized on the street daily, then you are forced to sell cars. Think about that. Besides. I said "PROBABLY think are demeaning."

Interesting thread. Really brings back some memories of folks I had forgotten about.

I remember visiting a girlfriend up in NW OKC around 1992 and hitting the swimming pool on a weekday afternoon. Just me and the girlfriend. There was only one other couple in the pool that day and it was Cherokee Ballard and some guy.....I'm assuming her boyfriend. They were rather frisky and making out the whole time. It was almost annoying. Even more annoying, I knew I recognized the girl but couldn't remember who it was until seeing her on TV later.

Anyone remember Ray Preston at channel 4? His wife was killed doing the story about the pilot providing rides without a license. She was killed in a plane crash while giving a demonstration. I knew Ray then and can remember how devastating that was. He is reporting in St Louis now doing quite well.

Whatever became of....

Dan Slocum
    News 9 weekend morning guy Paul Stanley
    Lola Hall

mpsosu Guest

Just an FYI: Bill Mitchell is the Senior reporter for KTUL-TV in Tulsa.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpsosu
    Just an FYI: Bill Mitchell is the Senior reporter for KTUL-TV in Tulsa.
    Thanks, mpsosu, I appreciate the info. I had wondered what became of him.

mpsosu Guest

You'd be surprised at how many former OKC anchors and reporters are in Tulsa now...just to name a few....Carole Lambert, Cindy Wall-Morrison, Bill Mitchell, and Taft Price (all formerly of KOCO...now at KTUL). Also, Russ McCaskey and Deborah Lauren-McCaskey (formerly of KWTV...now at KJRH). Oh yeah, and KOKI-FOX23 just hired Ron Terrell from KOCO as their sports director...strange move.

Dan Threlkeld (former KFOR meteorologist) is now chief meteorologist at KJRH. Wouldn't you think these moves are in the opposite direction???

I'm sure it's the same for former Tulsa reporters and anchors now in Oklahoma City.

Thread Information