cost=$75 million
    157 units

Information & Latest News

2/7/09: Developer must climb financing hill
    Links

Sales/Ownership at County Assessor
    The Hill website
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill3.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	1416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill2.jpg 
Views:	1256 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill12313.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	5605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill11314a.jpg 
Views:	1057 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	6144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill11314b.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	6145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill11314c.jpg 
Views:	1082 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	6146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill11314d.jpg 
Views:	1032 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	6147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hillaerial.jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	6210  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hillsitenew.jpg 
Views:	989 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	6211  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Default Re: The Hill - update

Developers hope homes top a hill of downtown OKC rivals
    STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: November 14, 2008

Bill Canfield admits he has kept pretty quiet about his contribution to downtown housing. But he says he’s ready to start talking about The Hill, which is the largest of the for-sale housing projects launched to date.

The first 24 residences at NE 2 and Russell Perry Avenue are set to be ready for buyers to begin moving in next month. Another 26 residences are in various stages of construction as Canfield continues his plan to build 150 upscale homes downtown.

"This is really a neighborhood,” Canfield said. "It’s been planned — the view won’t be obliterated by a low-end condo building going up between you and everybody else. The other projects are like outposts in the wilderness — this won’t be like that.”

Canfield said he shied away from marketing because of the lag in getting started — about two years — that stemmed from replacing early subcontractors who weren’t up to standards and site complications that faced all downtown housing projects the past few years.

"It’s hard to give people a list of features, construction quality, and then expect them to really know what’s it’s going to look like,” Canfield said.

Setting them apart

Model homes have been open for tours the past few months, however, and Michael Biddinger and First Source Real Estate have taken up the task of selling the residences. The first phase, which consists of smaller homes between 1,600 and 2,100 square feet, are selling for $420,000 to $559,000.
    Larger units of up to 3,600 square feet include one unit, already reserved, selling for about $1 million.

Biddinger believes The Hill has a lot to set it apartfrom competitors — fully finished homes that feature granite countertops, 11-foot ceilings, seven-inch crown molding, wood floors, geo-thermal heating and air systems, and storm shelters.

The Hill also will offer 26 designs to choose from.

With residents set to move in, construction will start next year on a "town hall” that will feature a swimming pool, meeting rooms, exercise area and concierge services.

Canfield and Beddinger said they believe Oklahomans will take to urban living if given a chance to see what it’s like.

Michael Biddinger, managing broker and Bill Canfield, principal in The Hill, stand in a home at 216 Russell M. Perry Ave. PHOTO BY JACONNA AGUIRRE, THE OKLAHOMAN

I'm pretty sure they sold a few. I know someone who has a deposit on one. Now, they may have sold a very low percentage for all I know.

I'll look forward to affordable housing downtown.

I can't imagine this is going too well for them.

The swimming pool is one thing that sets this apart, but it still looks more like an apartment complex to me. And, they may not be an "outpost in the wilderness", but they're closer to the freeway. I also think the interiors look more suburban than the others, but there will be people who like that. Luckily, there are different options for different tastes.

Looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The swimming pool is one thing that sets this apart, but it still looks more like an apartment complex to me. And, they may not be an "outpost in the wilderness", but they're closer to the freeway. I also think the interiors look more suburban than the others, but there will be people who like that. Luckily, there are different options for different tastes.
    I can agree somewhat, but even then, there are several other downtown properties with pools. Centennial, Deep Deuce Apartments, Sycamore Square, Legacy at Arts Central, Classen Glen are a few off the top of my head that have pools.

You're right. I forgot the Centennial had a pool. In my mind, I was comparing the Hill with new construction of downtown homes for sale, and was thinking of Maywood, Central Avenue Villas and Block 42 rather than some of the older options or rentals.

10. Default Re: The Hill - update

They look pretty good on the outside, but I agree with betts that the interiors look more suburban. We'll see how this goes.

The one thing I can see people liking more than the brownstones is the fact that the first floor is your main floor, at least in the model. You've got your kitchen, living room, etc on the same floor as your garage at the Hill, whereas at the brownstones you've just got a guest bedroom and entry hall on the main floor, and you have to go up a floor to your living room/kitchen and up two to three to your family room/game room. That doesn't bother me at all, but I can see how the Hill feels more like a regular home to some people.

12. Default Re: The Hill - update

The townhomes in Block 42 are also designed with the kitchen/living on the 2nd floor. I actually like that better, but agree some won't.

Took these Saturday. Looks like Phase 1 is almost done. The common areas/street entry looks suburban to me with the "subdivision signage."

does anyone have any pictures of the rear of these?

I keep hearing people complain that The Hill looks too "suburban". I don't really see that. Having each townhome attached to the other is not suburban at all. In fact, it is pretty urban. Whether it be urban or suburban, I do think they look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by supersooner View Post
    does anyone have any pictures of the rear of these?
    The backs are either all stucco or siding (hard to tell) in a cream color. I don't think it looks good at all, and that's where the common areas are designed to be, so if you're out there that's what you'll be looking at. I don't know why they didn't make them brick as well.

I think this is absolutely hideously ugly. Attrocious. I'll be frankly surprised if they sell anywhere close to the asking price.

The Deep Deuce apartments are much more attractive, actually. The Hill is a bust, aesthetically. Not surprised, unfortunately.

19. Default Re: The Hill - update

They aren't that bad.

They ain't $250/sq. ft. good though

21. Default Re: The Hill - update

Didn't say that, but "hideous" they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Didn't say that, but "hideous" they are not.
    Oh I agree...

If the developer wants to sell them at a reasonable price, we'd probably be interested.

OK, maybe hideous was a strong choice of words. Perhaps "extremely disappointing" would better describe my feelings about them when driving by to get a gander the other day. The design will NOT wear well over time, either.

This is how you entice the suburban minded. Build it to the potential client's taste. We are forgetting, loads of people like this style. There are endless subdivisions full of it. I don't think it is horrible, but it is definitely not what most other cities are building in their cores.

I don't think they are that bad, until I remember where they are. This was a great piece of land to use to try and bring a real urban living flavor to downtown and they certainly do not do that. They may be positioned up against each other, but, just looking at them, I don't think they would be out of place on Memorial Road at all.

It would be nice to see a collection of mid-rise to high rise condos downtown that afforded every tenant a view of downtown, while creating more urban density. This space would have been perfect for that. I can't think of a better previously undeveloped tract of land that is left to do this on.

So, imo, the downside to this development is not limited to the suburban feel of the community, but more the opportunity cost of building this on a prime piece of land so close to downtown. It seems so many keep throwing core-to-shore around as the future of urban living downtown, but there really was no reason we couldn't have done it with the assets that were ready for development when these projects were proposed. In light of how developments have been approached to date, I see nothing to believe that core-to-shore won't end up resembling this more than real urban planning. No matter what is put on the table and no matter what people acknowledge would make downtown more urban and commercially attractive, that is density, this is what keeps getting built.

My real fear is that these projects will not be successful and people will point as say, "see, urban living doesn't work in Oklahoma City", when in reality no one has really tried it with new construction, yet, and any chance of a true urban option for people in Oklahoma City will die with these projects that seem to be trying to draw people out of the suburbs, instead of trying to provide an option for people who actually want to live in an urban neighborhood.

Thread Information