Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1117

Thread: Hill, The

Default Re: Hill, The

Any updates on the contract or work? Are they even working on the next units currently or is everything at a standstill?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Any updates on the contract or work? Are they even working on the next units currently or is everything at a standstill?
    The city and the developers are in negotiation.

The deal is setup where Canfield (the developer) gets to purchase more tracts as he finished phases. But he has been moving very slowly and the city wants him to build smaller more affordable units.

I believe he's completed 88 units but it's taken him more than a decade. He has also been building much bigger, more expensive units than he had originally proposed when he won a competition to develop the land for OCURA.

This is from the last OCURA meeting; they went into executive session to discuss. Sounds a bit ominous:

"To engage in confidential communications between the Board of Commissioners
    and its attorney concerning a pending investigation, claim, or action involving the
    Contract for Sale of Land and Redevelopment, as amended, with The Hill at
    Bricktown, L.L.C., and where on advice of its attorney, the Board of
    Commissioners has determined that disclosure will seriously impair the ability of
    the public body to process the claim or conduct a pending investigation, litigation,
    or proceeding in the public interest."

So is the official status of this development being on hold now? The current developer is out and new proposals will be offered or simply a new development to finish the current plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So is the official status of this development being on hold now? The current developer is out and new proposals will be offered or simply a new development to finish the current plans?
    I believe there are still on-going negotiations with the current developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe there are still on-going negotiations with the current developer.
    Wow. Hard to believe with what seems to be a majority of the development complete that it is held up.

Wow. Hard to believe with what seems to be a majority of the development complete that it is held up.
    I think it is harder to believe that it took this long before the city decided to take some sort of action. The Hill has been in development for 11 YEARS. And I would say it's barely past the point to be able to claim that the majority of it is complete. At the current pace, it will take another 8-9 years before this development is completed.

^^^^ +1

Looks like OCURA has come to a new agreement with the developer of this project.

They keep extending the deadlines... This project was awarded in July of 2006 (!) and is still only half built.

10. Default Re: Hill, The

Not surprised. They are just kinda locked in there. I HOPE in the next phase they have drastic changes in design. People, for the most part, don't want traditional finishes in an urban environment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Not surprised. They are just kinda locked in there. I HOPE in the next phase they have drastic changes in design. People, for the most part, don't want traditional finishes in an urban environment.
    Not necessarily true. I've seen tons of traditional styles in other cities. But, cutting out things like trim, expensive flooring and other materials, etc. can lower construction costs while developers can sell contemporary. Right now we are going through a contemporary/modern style era in OKC, so it works.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    High end market is kinda being tested at Hill right now.....4 units priced at $899,900 or higher. The 899 unit is marked down from 939 original list. Two of the 4 are over $1 mill.
    Update. None of those units have sold in the 13 months on the open market. KD's entertaining side was remodeled back to living unit and did sale to a Trust for $724,000. Was re-listed then was recently released from the listing at $899,000. 2 doors down another of the large units (3600 sq ft) is down to $850,000. Those larger units at that price point aren't getting much action

Pete, any details on the new agreement?

I don’t mind “traditional,” but why would someone pay 800k for a downtown condo with interior finishes like some average Edmond tract home?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I don’t mind “traditional,” but why would someone pay 800k for a downtown condo with interior finishes like some average Edmond tract home?
    I know it’s hyperbole, because if you think those finishes are the same as some average Edmond tract home you either are lost about construction or you have to imagine houses in Edmond are an INCREDIBLE bargain. Maybe you think tract houses sell for $800,000. Lol.

Don’t understand the hatred some have for Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I know it’s hyperbole, because if you think those finishes are the same as some average Edmond tract home you either are lost about construction or you have to imagine houses in Edmond are an INCREDIBLE bargain. Maybe you think tract houses sell for $800,000. Lol.

Don’t understand the hatred some have for Edmond.
    Can’t speak for the quality of the hill but some recent developments in Edmond have been, quite frankly, comically bad as far as interior finishes go.

Blog Entries

I've been inside a few Hill units. Back when they were first built, before I moved downtown, they were a "dream home" type scenario for me. But once I saw the inside, not that I wouldn't appreciate such a place in a lot of ways still, they were just not my type of decor, so I'd have to spend a bundle changing it up after having just spent a bundle acquiring the place.

Blog Entries

Can’t speak for the quality of the hill but some recent developments in Edmond have been, quite frankly, comically bad as far as interior finishes go.
    As some have been in OKc, Yukon, Shawnee, Dallas, Tulsa, Chicago, NYC, Austin, .....

People need to stop using Edmond as their whipping boy for all their boogie men. It’s petty and inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I've been inside a few Hill units. Back when they were first built, before I moved downtown, they were a "dream home" type scenario for me. But once I saw the inside, not that I wouldn't appreciate such a place in a lot of ways still, they were just not my type of decor, so I'd have to spend a bundle changing it up after having just spent a bundle acquiring the place.
    in what ways??

I’ve been in a few houses at the Hill. Finishes are fine, although not ultra high end. They’re a style you see more in suburban homes, but taste is relative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I’ve been in a few houses at the Hill. Finishes are fine, although not ultra high end. They’re a style you see more in suburban homes, but taste is relative.
    It’s not the style you are seeing in the new homes in many of the suburbs like Nichols Hills which are contemporary... but it isn’t the price either. The Hill homes by in large have pretty quality construction with cabinet construction, hardware, plumbing systems, real wood trim, real wood floors, elevators, etc. Just because many have a style of a base or ceiling trim or particular color of wood doesn’t reduce its quality. A lot of urban development uses modern design with lack of certain elements because it is cheaper and even can Be more trendy. Polished concrete floors and no trim, or flat front cabinets of laminate isn’t better quality. Much new construction isn’t nearly as well sound insulated or use the same quality of Hvac, etc as the Hill. Plumbing and hot water systems can be cheapened in many ways and are. Most wouldn’t know until their utility bills, or repair and maintenance shows up In 10 or 15 years. Hardware can really be a differentiator.

Bottom line is that the Hill isn’t trendy design and isn’t designed for that market.

This type of development for the area is outdated. It looked good a decade ago, but now the price points are too high and people don't want those types of builds downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    ItÂ’s not the style you are seeing in the new homes in many of the suburbs like Nichols Hills which are contemporary... but it isnÂ’t the price either. The Hill homes by in large have pretty quality construction with cabinet construction, hardware, plumbing systems, real wood trim, real wood floors, elevators, etc. Just because many have a style of a base or ceiling trim or particular color of wood doesnÂ’t reduce its quality. A lot of urban development uses modern design with lack of certain elements because it is cheaper and even can Be more trendy. Polished concrete floors and no trim, or flat front cabinets of laminate isnÂ’t better quality. Much new construction isnÂ’t nearly as well sound insulated or use the same quality of Hvac, etc as the Hill. Plumbing and hot water systems can be cheapened in many ways and are. Most wouldnÂ’t know until their utility bills, or repair and maintenance shows up In 10 or 15 years. Hardware can really be a differentiator.

Bottom line is that the Hill isnÂ’t trendy design and isnÂ’t designed for that market.
    The interior finishes at the Hill are designed for the old man yelling at the clouds and his third wife "Karen". They aren't looking to be in a dense urban area with no space and too many scary people. If the developer at the Hill would go look at the Wheeler District or Kayla Baker's work on 6th Street and incorporate one of those finishes his product would start selling again. Different people want different things and people that intentionally chose an urban lifestyle often want true historic, modern or Scandinavian.
    The gaudy interior style in the Hill isn't a natural fit for the existing customer base. Obviously the market has spoken because homes keep selling in Sosa, Heritage, Mesta, and the Wheeler District.

Another 20 years and they might even finish.

Thread Information