Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregame prayer

Default Re: Pregame prayer

Okay, that is TWO I am putting on ignore...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Offend how? It's the truth there is only 1 true God and thats the God that created us and this world and everything in it. All other gods are false gods and are worthless. The people who worship idols like Buda or a stick of wood are worshiping false gods. There is only 1 True God and he sent his son to die on the cross for us so that we may have our sins forgiven and be able to enter into Heaven and be with him for ever and ever.

3. Default Re: Pregame prayer

Offend how? It's the truth there is only 1 true God and thats the God that created us and this world and everything in it. All other gods are false gods and are worthless. The people who worship idols like Buda or a stick of wood are worshiping false gods. There is only 1 True God and he sent his son to die on the cross for us so that we may have our sins forgiven and be able to enter into Heaven and be with him for ever and ever.
    Because the zombie son of himself that says we're going to hell if we don't symbolically (and literally if you're Catholic) cannabalize his body makes WAY more objective sense than Buddha or a stick of wood. Just sayin' for argument's sake.

Besides, if it were such plain ol', easy-to-see truth, then no faith would be involved. Always baffles me how people are proud of having faith and say you need faith are very quick to assert the absolute concrete truth of their beliefs as well. The two, in the purely objective sense, are mutually exclusive.

Mods? I smell a thread move/lock?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    The two, in the purely objective sense, are mutually exclusive
    This is because most folks fail to independently consider/analyze their own beliefs and the foundation thereof. But you knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    Are you Jewish or something ?
    and yes i am baiting you .

My faith or lack of faith is immaterial. But if it make you judgemental folks feel better, I belong to the Methodist Church but I don't go regularly.
    Everyone is judgmental, including you. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Your statement that all religions are equal is a judgment call. I'm saying, your religion (or at least your worldview) claims that all religions are equal.

And all I'm saying is that other religions claim that all religions are not equal and some even say that everyone but theirs is wrong.

From my philosophical (not religious) standpoint, all religions that claim to be the true religion are wrong. Any religion that concedes that there can be no certainty is on the right track...

Luke, I think southern might be confusing the principle of tolerance (good) with that of acceptance. While it's fantastic to tolerate other religions and cultures in a civilized society (within the bounds of reason, e.g., I do not support honor killings in fundamentalist Islamic culture), it's not mandatory that we accept the veiwpoint of others.

Without a tolerated diversity of opinion and belief, we have intolerance or homogeneity, one of the two.

Part of faith is believing that of all the thousands of other belief systems out there, yours is the right one. Sure, it's kind of a gamble, and it's unlikely that if there's ONE true path that yours is right, but that's faith... and in the U.S. of A, we tolerate various faiths.

Or at least we're supposed to.

All that aside, southern, while I don't see how it would bother you all that much (since you profess to be a Christian) that we have prayer at games, you're entitled to your beliefs. I think your belief and stance are something only a high functioning retard could come up with, (ergo, no acceptance), but I tolerate you nonetheless.

You are free not to go to games, but I guarantee you, in Oklahoma, by contributing to a more pro-Christian atmosphere, the Thunder will see a lot more families, church groups and religious folks in the stands, and that's what it's all about.... $$$

Quote Originally Posted by JakeZula View Post
    From my philosophical (not religious) standpoint, all religions that claim to be the true religion are wrong.
    Is that absolutely True?

Would a mod please move this to the religion thread.

i went to a La Clippers game, they prayed before hand.

I thought it's a NBA thing, they all do.

I'm not going to get into an argument about religion. I'm not a fan of prayers in school, or other institutions operated by our government, but these prayers at the games are pretty innocuous. I'd look for other things to get upset about, if it were me.

Maybe just Maybe if we allowed Prayer and religion back into our schools and public places this world just might be a better place and we wouldnt have kids shooting other kids at school and all thats going on today in our schools we didnt have 10-20 yrs ago.

true that for shizzle, religion never sparks violence.

14. Default Re: Pregame prayer

Maybe just Maybe if we allowed Prayer and religion back into our schools and public places this world just might be a better place and we wouldnt have kids shooting other kids at school and all thats going on today in our schools we didnt have 10-20 yrs ago.
    Or we can have parents parent. Agnostics and atheists can also be moral people.

Midtowner, I have no idea what you were talking about in response to me, but it smacked of your usual unprovoked sarcastic derision. Forgive me if I misread your tone.

Lord Helmet Guest

See, but that's all pure speculation and blind faith. I don't see anything out there that's proof of one religion's viability over another. Heck, there isn't any proof that ANY god, false or otherwise exists.

As for the pregame prayer...the Thunder are a privately held organization, so they can pray all they want, however, I'm not sure it belongs in a building paid for with public funds. A lot of people aren't religious, and their beliefs should be respected just as much as the most devout Christian's.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me either way, but it might some.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Midtowner, I have no idea what you were talking about in response to me, but it smacked of your usual unprovoked sarcastic derision. Forgive me if I misread your tone.
    The first part was addressed to Luke, the second part, with the sarcastic derision, was addressed to southernskye.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Is that absolutely True?
    I think it's the closest to truth we can come.

"When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."
    -Plato's account of Socrates' trial

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    See, but that's all pure speculation and blind faith. I don't see anything out there that's proof of one religion's viability over another. Heck, there isn't any proof that ANY god, false or otherwise exists.

As for the pregame prayer...the Thunder are a privately held organization, so they can pray all they want, however, I'm not sure it belongs in a building paid for with public funds. A lot of people aren't religious, and their beliefs should be respected just as much as the most devout Christian's.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me either way, but it might some.
    It clearly states in the Bible how life and the world were created and the things in Revelation that were prophisied thousands of years ago are comming to pass in our lifetime the 1 world government and all the famines and world issues are all comming to the end of the world which is told in the Bible which was written over a thousand years ago. so to answer your question yes there is a God who is in control of it all. The evolution therory is bunk theree is no proof in it at all.

It clearly states in the Bible how life and the world were created and the things in Revelation that were prophisied thousands of years ago are comming to pass in our lifetime the 1 world government and all the famines and world issues are all comming to the end of the world which is told in the Bible which was written over a thousand years ago. so to answer your question yes there is a God who is in control of it all. The evolution therory is bunk theree is no proof in it at all.
    This is why I will never let my kids go to school in rural OK.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeZula View Post
    This is why I will never let my kids go to school in rural OK.
    What do you mean by that?

Next up, people complaining about the National Anthem being played...

I have absolutely no problem with people saying Christian prayers because that means I can swing my pentogram and share my incense.

23. Default Re: Pregame prayer

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    Now I know I won't ever be going to a game.
    Don't be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with people saying Christian prayers because that means I can swing my pentogram and share my incense.

Send me a smudge stick.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Don't be ridiculous.

That's not the only reason I wouldn't go so don't let it bother you.

Thread Information