Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: T.G.&Y. Stores:Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: T.G.&Y. Stores:Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    They did a WKRP episode about it:
    YouTube - WKRP turkey drop scene Happy Thanksgiving
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

that was as funny as seeing the real thing.....I felt sorry for theTurkey's and for the people that thought up the promotion......

Anybody remember the rodeo grounds behind the A&W on Western? I think the JC's had something to do with it. I played football and baseball for them at that site.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Anybody remember the rodeo grounds behind the A&W on Western? I think the JC's had something to do with it. I played football and baseball for them at that site.
    Sorry! I shoulda put this on southside memories. Although there was a T.G.&Y. across the street in Southwestern Plaza.

Sorry! I shoulda put this on southside memories. Although there was a T.G.&Y. across the street in Southwestern Plaza.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I remember now,,,But, I had truly forgotten that location.....I always wanted to be the Cowboy...but, I learned that if you have 150 head of cattle they expect to be fed EVERY DAY......And, you have to break the ice for their water in the Winter and Spray them for flies in the Summer....And you sometimes get to help deliver the calves and use a horse to get things gather....you see what I mean don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Frisky:....one question:....were you the guys that set my trash bin on fire at 59th and Penn??????
    I thought the inside of the 59th and penn, store burned about Christmas 65? I remember being alarmed, that I wouldnt get a Johnny Seven OMA. Cause they might have been burned up.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz6903 View Post
    I thought the inside of the 59th and penn, store burned about Christmas 65? I remember being alarmed, that I wouldnt get a Johnny Seven OMA. Cause they might have been burned up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nope, I was there in '65 and '6....then '69 - 71 good llittle store but no fire.....sorry if Santa Claus storied to you though.....

No I got the OMA. That was a nice little store. Economy Square was my favorite tho. They had everything we needed from lawn mower parts to guns an ammo. If they didnt have it OTASCO did.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I remember now,,,But, I had truly forgotten that location.....I always wanted to be the Cowboy...but, I learned that if you have 150 head of cattle they expect to be fed EVERY DAY......And, you have to break the ice for their water in the Winter and Spray them for flies in the Summer....And you sometimes get to help deliver the calves and use a horse to get things gather....you see what I mean don't you?
    Yo 64! The property is still vacant except for a pumping unit and is fenced in. I worked on a ranch out by Tuttle when I was about 14, ain't much fun working on cattle ranch. Ya go to work at sunup and quit at sundown.

Yo 64! The property is still vacant except for a pumping unit and is fenced in. I worked on a ranch out by Tuttle when I was about 14, ain't much fun working on cattle ranch. Ya go to work at sunup and quit at sundown.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When we moved back from Texas....I told the wife I didn't want anything that was too large with a push lawnmower....When we lived in Texas to ride a horse was the beginning of going to work... Now, 80 acres and three horses later....I'm asking myself what's going on dummy?????Still enjoy messing with the horses......Now, the Cattle are next...Dummy in my shoes or boots.....

I still have a TG&Y lawn mower. you're best buy is at TGY

My parents have a TG&Y 8-Track deck hooked up to their bedroom stereo. and Yes, it still works.

I'am getting off the T.G.&Y. theme a little but, I bought my first tapedeck which was of all things a 4-track at a place on N.W. 10th & Penn. across from the AMC. Does anyone remember the name?

I'am getting off the T.G.&Y. theme a little but, I bought my first tapedeck which was of all things a 4-track at a place on N.W. 10th & Penn. across from the AMC. Does anyone remember the name?
    Muntz?

Stereo City: Bought my first tape deck there and they installed it!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redskins/General View Post
    Stereo City: Bought my first tape deck there and they installed it!!!!!!!!!
    Mine was a 4 track tape player which most people don't remember. I bought one on Ebay here while back and I have a box full of 4 track tapes. Not a big deal, just a little bit unusual!!

Stereo City: Thanks R/G! I think they quit making those 4-tracks about a month after I bought mine.

Got my first CB at the 74th & Penn. T.G.&Y. store about 1976.

Reading these posts takes me back. My first "real" job was working the stockroom at the 44th & Western store. Worked my way up through toys and then sporting goods (the "crown gem"). Worked the store at 59th and May before going into the Air Force in 1982 and one of my brothers worked the 74th & Penn store.

While I have a ton of great memories working there I always think back to standing in front of the literal wall of models and paints at the store on 74th & Penn. That store was just down the street (89th & Penn) and we were always going in there (or John A Brown's) for something.

At one time I'd been to TG&Y stores in OKC, Fredrick, Clinton, and Altus. By the time I left the Air Force there wasn't one to be found. Seeing a part of my childhood simply wink out of existence like that was kind of depressing. I made a trip up to OKC for Christmas (living in Dallas now) and it was depressing to see a cookie cutter layout of mini-Wal Marts with a CVS and Walgreen pharmacy every five feet.

On the flip side, I was driving out to California in 1992 and found an open TG&Y operating in Flagstaff of all places. Wondering now if it's still around.

Digging through some Junk today...Remember the old Kaleidoscope? I remember looking through one of those forever...Paid twenty-nine cents for it .....17 pop bottles to pay the tax....Funny how we as kids would locate something at TG&Y and do whatever it took to get the money to buy the toys we wanted...Not today....Hey Dad (Grandpa) where's your credit card.......I want a $450.00 bike...........

I've collected hotwheels for over 20 years, I have several still in the package with the TG&Y price sticker still on them, priced anywhere from 29 to 63 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by danielf1935 View Post
    I've collected hotwheels for over 20 years, I have several still in the package with the TG&Y price sticker still on them, priced anywhere from 29 to 63 cents.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the next Saturday gathering and I'll give you a mismarked packaged Hot Wheels car. It's packaged as a 1980 Corvette but is really a 1984....From TG&Y....

In the 60's my family lived on S. Klein about five houses down from 74th, that's right at Western. I used to start walking down 74th before it was paved and pick up pop bottles to get the deposit and buy stuff at T.G.&Y..

In the 60's my family lived on S. Klein about five houses down from 74th, that's right at Western. I used to start walking down 74th before it was paved and pick up pop bottles to get the deposit and buy stuff at T.G.&Y..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Two Cents per bottle and twenty-five cents for the case. There used to be a place (by the airport) wher the older kids went to park. On Fridays and Saturday nights they would leave literally hundreds of pop bottles. My sister had a car and for 1/2 she would take me out there and to go sell the bottles. I remember one Christmas times were a little short and my mom was worried about Christmas money. I took her to the Honey Hole and that's how she bought a lot Christmas that year....

That's a cool story 64. I used to return pop bottles then go over to Safeway and buy a quart of Craigmont cola. Those were the days.

Awesome thread!

My mom bought an entire CASE of the full sized GI. Joes when they went out of business. For the next several years, we gave them to all my friends for their birthdays, christmas etc...

I remember not wanting to play with the german GI JOE versions. Now it turns out they're worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars each!!!

Thread Information