Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

We have several residents living in LOFT 401 now, with closings scheduled every week for the next few weeks. We have a handful of units left! Check us out: www.loft401.com or call (405) 922-5144

OPEN HOUSE!! Please come by the LOFT401 site located at 401 E. Boyd in Norman this Saturday before the game. From 11:30 - 2 we will be hosting a poolside party, catered by The Greens Country Club. Music and tours of the site and units as well. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Come see what LOFT401 has to offer! www.LOFT401.com

I haven't seen this place in person yet so I may come check it out.

I hope it's a success. Norman needs more developments like this in the campus area.

Are these completely done? How many units are leased?

Construction is on-going but looks to be finished within 60-90 days. We have closed on several units and continue to schedule closings as units are finishing up. They are for sale, KilgoreTrout. If you are interested please look us up! www.LOFT401.com

I went inside these lofts last week to visit a friend who is renting there.

A few obervations:

1) The floor plans are pretty nice. High ceilings, open concept, and the bedroom is somewhat secluded down a short hallway, instead of being located directly off the living room.

2) The train is still very loud. The loft I was in was located on the side facing away from the tracks and it's still quite loud. The quiet zone is a must.

3) They're not even close to finishing the building. The interior hallways aren't finished, wiring is sticking out, sheet rock and sheet rock dust is everywhere. Many of the units aren't close to being finished. Even the unit I was in, which was being rented (I guess they changed their policy on no renters) wasn't completed. I guess they've run out of money because this building was supposed to be finished in August of 2010 (what I was told by their sales team in January of 2010).

So, these are available for lease? Does anyone know the rates?

A developer wants to build a new apartment complex that would be aimed at students just west of this location.
    This would require the removal of several houses that look to be mostly poorly maintained.

10. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    A developer wants to build a new apartment complex that would be aimed at students just west of this location.
    This would require the removal of several houses that look to be mostly poorly maintained.
    Would this be a traditional apartment complex or something more loft style? It would be cool if Norman started to push for more loft style construction.

I've thought for years that some of those old houses along Boyd need to be demolished for student housing. The proximity to campus would be ideal for a mixed use development with retail along the street.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Would this be a traditional apartment complex or something more loft style? It would be cool if Norman started to push for more loft style construction.
    From what I understand it would be a traditional apartment complex for OU students.
    It still needs to be approved by the City.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I've thought for years that some of those old houses along Boyd need to be demolished for student housing. The proximity to campus would be ideal for a mixed use development with retail along the street.
    There are probably about 2 dozen homes from Boyd to the north for 2 or 3 blocks near the tracks that are in such poor condition that they should be demolished. There is a lot of rental property that is not in good condition on the northeast side of OU, south of Boyd and west of the tracks.

I would like to see high end condos located someplace not near the RR tracks.

I hope the city of Norman has enough vision to preserve enough right of way to allow the construction of a new street from Lindsey to Brooks to Boyd to Main St and on to the north that would follow the RR tracks. There also needs to be enough room for an additional RR track for commuter rail.

HangryHippo Guest

I believe this would be an excellent location for such a development, and it would just be icing on the cake if it was loft-style that managed to incorporate some retail. However, it seems unlikely according to http://normantranscript.com/headline...zoning-request. The city council, citing the need for more "discussion," has postponed the request to October 23. WTF? For christ sake, can't we just get some people that don't always endlessly discuss but never seem to accomplish something? The idiot mayor also said that a presentation regarding the proposal from one of the developers would be inappropriate at this time. Of course, let's delay this until October and refuse to even hear some discussion about the damn thing. Seems to make perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    I was wondering that myself

The genius city council thinks this proposal is making Norman "too dense," which they associate with crime and higher resource use. Absolutely idiocy.

I've been saying for a while now that Norman, once considered a prized model of a town by some, is now unequivocally moving backwards. They failure of the UNP development that's indistinguishable from a strip mall in Moore, proposals to demolish old buildings downtown to build a surface lot, the continued building of low quality, cookie-cutter houses, and fears of apartments that are "too dense"-- it's all very disappointing.

The Norman City Council embarrasses itself weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    According to the person I know who lives and rents there, they are not available for lease. I don't know they entire story, but the person apparently hassled the developer or owner of the unit to let her rent it while she was in school and they ultimately relented. That's all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The genius city council thinks this proposal is making Norman "too dense," which they associate with crime and higher resource use. Absolutely idiocy.

I've been saying for a while now that Norman, once considered a prized model of a town by some, is now unequivocally moving backwards. They failure of the UNP development that's indistinguishable from a strip mall in Moore, proposals to demolish old buildings downtown to build a surface lot, the continued building of low quality, cookie-cutter houses, and fears of apartments that are "too dense"-- it's all very disappointing.

The Norman City Council embarrasses itself weekly.
    Norman residents need to get to a city council meeting it sounds like!!! Where is the OU architecture community? They need to help people realize density is good!!!

According to another thread discussing the proposed apartment complex at 36th and Tecumseh, this meeting is a good thing to try to contain another mess.

There always seems to be a great aversion by some to remove old poorly maintained homes near OU to make way for any new development by OU or by developers.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    the genius city council thinks this proposal is making norman "too dense," which they associate with crime and higher resource use. Absolutely idiocy.

I've been saying for a while now that norman, once considered a prized model of a town by some, is now unequivocally moving backwards. They failure of the unp development that's indistinguishable from a strip mall in moore, proposals to demolish old buildings downtown to build a surface lot, the continued building of low quality, cookie-cutter houses, and fears of apartments that are "too dense"-- it's all very disappointing.

The norman city council embarrasses itself weekly.
    this.

Who wants to back up to a train track?

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    Especially a busy train track like the one in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    With the right walls, a ton of people. The location is awesome. Close to campus, campus corner, and the Mont. i lived in one of those places and the train was not a problem.

The train tracks though Norman should have double tracked and been buried decades ago.

Thread Information