Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

there was an older 2 story house that may have been a law firm iirc that was razed and otherwise the overflow parking lot for the Mont. This project will be an improvement nonetheless, that is if they actually get it finished!

Do you mean the mustardy house behind the big evergreens? If so, I thought it was owned by Professor I-can't-remember, a David Ross Boyd Professor of something. Darn this middle-aged brain!

I think the various housing topics being discussed here are important. I do think housing should have its own thread. This one is topic-specific. Norman housing in general, central Norman, OU housing, party houses in residential neighborhoods - all of these are viable topics, just not here, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    From what I've been able to glean paying attention to city workings, the unspoken plan between OU with its recently increasing student population and the city of Norman is to allow giant multi-story residential units aimed at the college crowd to be built to the south and southeast of campus. Witness OU Traditions, Campus Bungalows down by hiway 9, that new apartment/golf development south of hiway 9 by cedar lane, etc. I'm sure there are others...

The plan is to run low-end college kids away from core Norman and let OU develop that stuff across from the Duck Pond. Rumors of a retirement cottage neighborhood. And to let the core close-in neighborhoods become filled with affluent alumni parents of OU children/game day enthusiasts/rent queens(!)/single families etc...

don't believe me, check out what they are getting for "lofts" near campus and downtown :
    Magnolia Apartments -::- Native Roots

I'm trying to get a digi camera to take pics of the damn 401 one of these days if there aint some other person with a cam out there!
    It's a vision that will be interesting to see Norman obtain. A lot of college towns, including Stillwater, are actually ahead of Norman in terms of sending the low-end student housing further out and replacing the closer-in housing with upscale-only development.

**Updated Photos to be Regularly Posted on our Facebook Page** Login | Facebook

Well, after approaching the City of Norman about the proposed "quiet zone" and getting no answer I contacted BNSF directly. Here is the response:

Good Morning Karen,

I have not received any proposals from the City of Norman at this time. Should I hear of any proposed quiet zones within the City limits, I will be sure to share that with you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to give me a call.

Thanks, Kamie Minor| BNSF Railway | Public Projects Manager- KS, NM, OK
    | * kamalah.minor@bnsf.com | * 913-551-4484 | **913-551-4285

I think it's safe to say that the horn will continue to blow and the sales representatives at 401 Lofts are misleading Norman residents, what a shame.

I would bet the City itself is misleading residents, including the loft folks. If you type "quiet zone" into the Transcript site you get several articles. The City is "investigating." The City is "checking it out." The City is "seeing what would be involved."

The articles say that the City will need to make official requests and actually do things. Apparently they are still in the "checking it out" phase, unless the railroad has lost our applications.

It's like when the government was giving out stimulus money for rail, and folk thought Norman had been working on proposals for years to get the train between OKC and Norman back. Ha ha ha,,, erm, excuse me, I meant...Ha ha ha!!! Apparently we had been "investigating" again, instead of actually working.

Mayor Rosenthal was SHOCKED at the complexities of the grant forms! We had NO idea!! We were so not ready it is sickening.

Not to worry - the mayor said it was a "wake-up call" and next time we will be ready!! Next time what? Next time the economy collapses?

Thank God for our marvelous Destination Shopping.

"By law, an engineer operating a train traveling 60 mph or less must sound a whistle 15 seconds before the lead car passes through a crossing. The whistle has to start a quarter mile ahead of the crossing if the train is traveling faster than 60 mph.

Norman has 17 at-grade crossings, which means a fast train may have to blow its whistle continuously as it passes through the city to comply with federal regulations, traffic engineer Angelo Lombardo said."

more in the article

Read more: Train whistles disrupt residents, set the dogs to howling | NewsOK.com

The article is informative, however, Jane Glenn Cannon (author), Tulsa has already successfully implemented a quiet zone. And you know what? Downtown is thriving. People and businesses are moving back in, go figure.

I realize it takes time and money to bring the remaining crossings in Norman up to scratch, perhaps they need to be made a higher priority (according to Lombardo it's not).

The original purpose of this post was to point out that if anyone from 401 Lofts tells you the train will be quiet, it's not true.

9. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Well stated, JC. However, i do think that WE ARE ALL AT THE SAME PLACE HERE, i.e. let's bring in the development, bring on the inovation and growth that is part and parcel of an up and coming community. Let's do it all for this town that we love/have a vested economic intrest in, but let us do it with our eyes wide open, while sitting down at the "grown-ups table". NOT with our fingers over our eyes, our hand over our mouth and a pillow over our ears!

I went and looked at the site today. Its got rebar shooting up skyward out of the ground and looks ready for concrete soon. I couldn't figure where the pool would be, the site looks kind of cramped with the layout of the rebar currently. oh well. best wishes!

I appreciate everyone's comments...

Please understand that we are not in the business of misleading anyone. We were and still are of the understanding that the city of Norman is pursuing the quiet zone and we will do everything we can to assist in the process to help expedite the completion of a quiet zone at the intersection of of Boyd and Classen. Of course, we are at the mercy of the city but we support their efforts and believe the quiet zone will be accomplished, although we are not knowlegable of when it will be completed. We have never promised that this would be completed but the information we have received from the city is promising that it will one day be completed. Our fingers are crossed.

We are committed to building a first-class, beautiful condiminium project that will compliment Norman's landscape. Should anyone have any questions or concerns, please call us at (405) 249-4442.

The site is changing daily, concrete work is going well and we are working diligently to get this building off the ground! We appreciate everyone's support.

"By law, an engineer operating a train traveling 60 mph or less must sound a whistle 15 seconds before the lead car passes through a crossing. The whistle has to start a quarter mile ahead of the crossing if the train is traveling faster than 60 mph.

Norman has 17 at-grade crossings, which means a fast train may have to blow its whistle continuously as it passes through the city to comply with federal regulations, traffic engineer Angelo Lombardo said."

more in the article

Read more: Train whistles disrupt residents, set the dogs to howling | NewsOK.com
    Freight trains do not travel that fast in urbanized regions such as straight through Norman.

Fingers crossed? I sure hope that's not how development in Norman will continue. How about fact checking and not relying on rumor and innuendo.

We don't/can't know what Loft-person was told by the mayor, just as with Henry Baskeyfield, who withdrew the union support of Ezell only to have his workers cut after the election. What did she tell Baskeyfield and Loft-person?

The mayor writes a lot of checks she can't, or has no intention, of covering.

Trying to find out real facts in this town is like pulling mammoth-teeth. You will know what you need to know when David Boren tells Cindy it is OK and she tells Andy Reiger.

Loft-person is very likely ripping his hair out and cursing himself for trusting her. He can't say that, though, because he still needs Norman to sign off on all of the inspections.

I rode my bicycle by the site this evening, and in the three weeks or so that have passed since my last bike-by, the rebar sticking out of the ground now has squarish concrete surrounding it. Max height of the concrete forms would be maybe 10 feet. pretty sluggish progress is how i'd characterize the project. i stopped at the C-store next door and asked the gent working the register about the project next door and he told me they were to be apartments, but what does he know...!

it'll be nice to see them actually put more concrete down...at this point i'd be surprised if they are ready by summer 2011.

Blangtang- Thanks for checking out the site. The weather has really made things tough for us, but look for about 6 more weeks of concrete work. Then the framing above the podium begins, which will progress very quickly.

Loft-condos under way in Norman
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record

NORMAN – Developer and architect Mark Risser is counting on well-to-do Sooner fans to buy luxury condominiums at his Loft401 development overlooking Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman.

The 35-unit, $5.8 million complex at Classen Boulevard and E. Boyd Street is under construction and slated for completion in spring 2011.

Now based in Dallas, Risser grew up in Norman and is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma’s College of Architecture. He came up with the idea of bringing urban-style dwellings to Norman after living in a loft on E. Main Street in Norman. There was a waiting list of people who wanted to get in the door of the building, Risser said.

“Norman has never had any type of loft-condo development and people are always looking to be closer to campus,” Risser said.

Set on 1.25 acres a few blocks from Campus Corner, the 52,000-square-foot, four-level complex will have parking on the ground floor and feature one- to three-bedroom units priced in the $150,000-to-$250,000 range.

In a chilly lending climate when similar projects have struggled to get financing, Loft401 benefited from strong pre-sales. Risser had 12 of the condos sold before securing construction financing for the project. Now 18 of the units are under contract or reserved.

“We developed a concept we could go out and test the market and make sure the buyers would be receptive to the product and the price,” Risser said.

The lofts feature black oak floors, 10-foot ceilings and stainless steel appliances. Balcony units at the development will have views of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

A wide range of buyers have been attracted to lofts, said Andy Ridley, who is part of the sales team for the Loft401 development.

“They are everyone from parents of OU students to game-day buyers who will be there a few days a year to people right out of college who want a cool, unique place to live,” Ridley said. “What we’re trying to do is create something in Norman that caters to people who have an affinity to Norman and want to be closer to Campus Corner and all of the things that Norman has to provide.”

I would like to live in a condo near OU, but not next to the tracks.

I would like to live in a condo near OU, but not next to the tracks.
    Same here. A condo tower further west by Campus Corner overlooking campus would be a big hit.

It sounds like this project has been a hit, too. 18/35 units already sold and not even close to completion.. not bad at all. Good job, LOFT401. I love how you guys have come back to Norman to help give back to the community that this guy went to school in. This stretch of Boyd from 12th over to Flood is IMO the best street in all of Oklahoma, and getting better all the time.

LOFT401, can we get some pics yet?

I checked into getting one of these awhile back. They told me they would be completed by August 2010. I'm glad I didn't buy, at least on that bit of information, because it doesn't look like they'll be completed until August 2011.

Please check out our facebook page for updated photos... With the blog down a while ago we haven't been checking in. But we're back, and construction is fully underway. Hope to see some of you guys at our tailgate tomorrow at 541 S. University, in Campus Corner.

Great to see this project going forward!

I saw they recently tore down some houses on Monnett, near Duffy, it looks like the same group (but not the 401 Loft group) owns about 6 adjacent houses on what would be a sizable lot. Maybe 401 Lofts is about to get a trend started? Just speculation on my part.
    I was told about the pending demolition of homes in this area in the fall of 2009. This person told me they would be building apartments. I am curious to know more about when and what type of apartments they might be building.
    The entire area south of Duffy, east of Monnet and north of Boyd seems very ripe for demolition and reconstruction. If they are selling folks on the idea that this area/location is within walking distance of various amenities I sure hope the old sidewalks in this entire area get reconstructed.

Eventually I could see OU trying to buy up any land they can south of Boyd, east of Jenkins all the way to Brooks

Thread Information