Widgets Magazine

Thread: Clarks Bakery.

Default Clarks Bakery.

Hello All.. Driving through Bethany the other day going east bound on NW 39th and noticed that Clarks bakery was closed and no longer in business, man that place brought back alot of memories as a kid,, Myself and friends would go in and get some of the best Chocolate Chip cookies around. Then I started thinking about Kamps, sure do miss them as well. Take Care.

Default Re: Clarks Bakery.

Agree. Clarks was a mainstay of my grandparents and my Mom when she was growing up and lived in Bethany, and for a few decades after.

Wow. We used to stop there about 3 times a week when our office was on Council Road. They sold a few years ago and changed a few things. I gave up donuts for breakfast about 5 years ago due to my expanding waistline but my husband loved their chocolate covered cinnamon rolls. He said the recipe changed when the new owners took over and while they were good they just were not as good and he could resist them a lot easier. There was a group of older men that would meet there every morning for coffee and a donut. I wonder where they are going now?

There is a newly remodeled Dunkin Donuts a ways down the street...

I had not heard that they closed. I ordered their famous petit fours for a Valentine's Party in 2011. At that time I was that they family sold to somebody, but still ran the place. Is the sign still up?

Quote Originally Posted by JenX67 View Post
    I had not heard that they closed. I ordered their famous petit fours for a Valentine's Party in 2011. At that time I was that they family sold to somebody, but still ran the place. Is the sign still up?
    Yes I drove by yesterday and the sign is still up.

Yes, the sign is up...but the building is empty.

Clark's was a regular stop for me as a teenager when my mom had gotten into a fairly common routine of throwing baby and wedding showers for family and acquaintances. I was the designated cake-picker-upper, and a bonus cookie or other goodie was a requisite for the trip over there. Sad to hear they're gone.

Given that newer bakeries don't last very long, the long-timers like Clark's and Brown's are special ones to hang on to as long as we can. The bakery from which my wife bought our wedding cake so many years ago is gone; the Moore bakery that made the cake I bought for her surprise 40th party just a couple of years ago is gone...just sad. I guess its harder and harder to survive with big-box stores having their own bakeries, eg Sam's, WalSlum, Crest, etc etc. There's just nothing quite like the smell of a fresh, wonderful, treat-filled bakery, with cases holding rows and rows of donuts, cookies, bear claws, cinnamon rolls, cakes, you name it...just incredible.

Thread Information