Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 24 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What businesses do you miss?

Default What businesses do you miss?

The discussion about John A. Brown's started me thinking about many places that are no longer here that I really miss. I'm going by memory here, so I may misspell some of the names (feel free to correct me!), but here is my list.

St. John's (the clothes were wonderful!)
    Pappagallo's (best shoe store ever!)
    Ralph Lauren shop (in 50 Penn Place)
    Laura Ashley shop (in 50 Penn Place)
    Rothchild's

Stefanie's (heart healthy food/restaurant)
    Glen's Hickory Inn
    Dairy Queen
    Chinese restaurant in Shawnee est. by Ann & George Ing
    Pinnochio's (salad/pizza/sandwich shop in Norman)
    Queen Ann Cafeteria
    Anna Maude's (best cafeteria ever!)

Continental Theater

The Plum Tree
    Caddeedid Gifts (MWC; I'm sure I've blown the spelling!)

Anyone else?

Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

I miss the Continental as well. I also loved going to the Quail Twin as a kid. I loved the charm of French Market Mall and the smell of the Cigar Shop. They had a great old pipe sign. I am too young to really remember if the Mall itself was ever viable, but I loved wandering through the empty place in the years before it was gutted.

I really miss Laredos.

Harrigan's

Oh those Harrigan's dinner rolls. Mmmmmm.

I miss Casa Bonita! I know most people say their "Mexican" food was horrible, but I loved every bit of it. I remember coming to the one in OKC one time before it closed. I lived in eastern OK at the time and so I mostly went to the one in Tulsa but it has closed down and changed hands. I think the one in Tulsa may have reopened under a different name, and the only Casa Bonita left is the Denver one.

The Madison Shop

Michael's Plum
    Gibsons
    OTASCO
    Streets
    TG&Y
    Shotgun Sams
    and who could forget there's a world of fun at Wonderful Tammy Lynn

The Boar's Head.

Otherwise, I'm fine with whatever's gone. I don't get all that attached to retail establishments. I just liked the Boar's Head because they let me play (and drink there, for free) well before I was 21. The owners there were very supportive of the local music scene, and I recall they had an excellent stage setup.

interesting that you mention Dairy Queen...I find it odd that Dairy Queen has never been able to stay in business around here. is it because Braum's is so popular here?

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I miss the Continental as well. I also loved going to the Quail Twin as a kid. I loved the charm of French Market Mall and the smell of the Cigar Shop. They had a great old pipe sign. I am too young to really remember if the Mall itself was ever viable, but I loved wandering through the empty place in the years before it was gutted.

I really miss Laredos.
    Laredo's is rebuilding (about 3 years now on the project). Hopefully they will have it soon as it looks about 90% complete, they've just been incredibly slowwwwwwwww. It's over by the Belle Isle Chili's.

Quote Originally Posted by zrfdude View Post
    I miss Casa Bonita! I know most people say their "Mexican" food was horrible, but I loved every bit of it. I remember coming to the one in OKC one time before it closed. I lived in eastern OK at the time and so I mostly went to the one in Tulsa but it has closed down and changed hands. I think the one in Tulsa may have reopened under a different name, and the only Casa Bonita left is the Denver one.
    I agree. I wish we still had Casa Bonita! I heard the Tulsa one is going to reopen this year or next.

Quote Originally Posted by scootinger View Post
    interesting that you mention Dairy Queen...I find it odd that Dairy Queen has never been able to stay in business around here. is it because Braum's is so popular here?
    No.

I am originally from the Tulsa area and I miss Reasor's. I used to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart then food would start going bad much earlier than the exp date. Then we started going to Target to get groceries, but I would like an Oklahoma based company with competitive prices.

warren, how about shopping at Crest then? They are locally based and competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Laredo's is rebuilding (about 3 years now on the project). Hopefully they will have it soon as it looks about 90% complete, they've just been incredibly slowwwwwwwww. It's over by the Belle Isle Chili's.

Is that the building next to the I hop ?

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    Is that the building next to the I hop ?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by scootinger View Post
    Sonic seems to be picking up where Dairy Queen is dying off. Back in the 1980s, Dairy Queen was the definition of small town Texas (I have to use Texas because that's what I know). If you had a Dairy Queen, you were a real town. If not, well...

Now, the Dairy Queens are all going out of business (even where no one ever heard of Braums). Sonic is moving in to fill the void. All the small towns have Sonic now. Good job, Sonic (local company).

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post

I really miss Laredos.
    Ditto on everything you said..Continental was the best theatre and I also loved walking around in French Market Mall...I dont know why...probably the first place I remember seeing mall walkers. We always walked around before getting in the neverending line at furrs.

I know some of these have already been mentioned but heres my list.

Kips Big Boy on may ave.
    Dairy Queen
    Shotgun Sams
    Across the street (may and Hefner)
    Eagles Nest
    Split T
    Molly Murphys
    Glens Hickory Inn
    All the cafetrerias (I dont know why)
    Casa Bonita
    Bonapartes Drive In
    Taco Tico (loved their taco burgers)
    Burger Shack..(Only open for a short time at Rockwell and 39th) best burgers!

and there was a breakfast type diner at May and Grand that changed names several times...seems like it had a putting green...I cant remember the name. Alot of restaurants..I must be getting hungry.

Otasco.. I miss Timothy
    TG&Y
    Hook and slice
    The original hobby lobby
    The original Beverlys
    Anthonys

19. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The Boar's Head.

Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I am originally from the Tulsa area and I miss Reasor's. I used to buy all my stuff at Wal-Mart then food would start going bad much earlier than the exp date. Then we started going to Target to get groceries, but I would like an Oklahoma based company with competitive prices.
    I also recommend Crest. I lived in Tulsa for a few years, and Reasor's prices aren't nearly as competitive as Crest.

Molly Murphys!! * sigh *

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    and there was a breakfast type diner at May and Grand that changed names several times...seems like it had a putting green...I cant remember the name. Alot of restaurants..I must be getting hungry.
    The Girlie Pancake House....we're stacked better

I worked at the Sound Warehouse next door.

There are still Dairy Queens all over Texas, we have one about a mile from our house. The OKC franchisee has always seemed to be in trouble, I grew up going to the one at 16th & Meridian. I know they rebuilt the ones in Edmond (Second Street just east of UCO) and Midwest City (by the Albertsons near Reno & Midwest Blvd. maybe) in the mid-90's, are they still open?

I agree with Harrigan's, their cheese rolls were the best. Also, as a kid I miss Crystal's pizza. What could be better eating pizza and watching cartoons and the Three Stooges.

Sandman's Coffee House on NW 23rd
    "The Hot Shop" in Penn Square mall
    "Nothing but Noodles" in Bricktown

Nabber, there is still a "Nothing But Noodles" at Quail Springs on Memorial (the original one) across from the mall. I believe it's just called "Noodles" now but it is still the exact same concept and same owners (same as Bricktown too), they just got tired of paying franchise fee so changed the name. Same food and owners though.

Thread Information