Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

1. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    R.J.'s Cafe at 42nd and N. Santa Fe. I haven't been there in a couple of years but I used to work in that area and had lunch there all the time. Great food, great environment.
    That's the first one that came to my mind. I used to eat there all the time when I worked at the capital. GREAT chicken fried steak.

Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

Edna's, the drugstore in Nichols Hills Plaza, Classen Grill, Jimmy's Egg, Ingrid's Kitchen, Bobos Chicken and, above all, Eischens.

Surely he's not putting crap food on TV just because it makes great visuals? I love that show. If he's doing one in this area, I'm undoubtedly going to eat there at some point after the show airs. I would hope they pick some place that has good food too.

Sorry I can't contribute a name for your list, but it looks like you've got some good places to investigate. I'm glad you're thinking of coming here for your show. If you ever go to San Angelo, look me up. I can hook you up with the best places.

4. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

Quote Originally Posted by amylynn5656 View Post
    Edna's, ... Jimmy's Egg,
    I think he's looking for dive restaurants, not dive bars. And he said only one location, so Jimmy's Egg is out, although the original at 15th & May would fit his criteria otherwise.

Pappy's Diner at corner of May and Reno and I will throw a vote out there for Nic's as well. If you decide on Nic's be interesting to see how the camera crew would fit in there while the lunch crowd was there.

If you want a place that is all home made Italian then you HAVE to go to Bella Vista on S Western I believe it is...

6. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

We used to go to Beverly's a lot too. But since moving, the food just isn't the same. Go try Wellington Pancake House. It is located just before you get to McArther on NW 63rd. We have eaten there several time and the good is really good. I think they have an all you can eat pancakes thing, but their omelette's are awesome. My fav of all the places is Jimmy's Egg. but they close at 2:00pm.
    Last edited by SoonerQueen; 10-24-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Surely he's not putting crap food on TV just because it makes great visuals? I love that show. If he's doing one in this area, I'm undoubtedly going to eat there at some point after the show airs. I would hope they pick some place that has good food too.

Sorry I can't contribute a name for your list, but it looks like you've got some good places to investigate. I'm glad you're thinking of coming here for your show. If you ever go to San Angelo, look me up. I can hook you up with the best places.
    You clearly haven't seen the show then. TV care's about one thing. Ratings! Now obviously the majority of the places are good eats, but some are obviously more for visuals. Visuals and story are what sells and keeps people's interest. Heck, last time the show came here they went to Leo's BBQ and I wouldn't even rate it in the top 20 BBQ places in the metro. They went to Leo's because of the story, not the quality of the BBQ. The story makes good tv.

8. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

We eat at Bella Vista all the time. It is all homemade Italian food and it's excellent food.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    We used to go to Beverly's a lot too. But since moving, the food just isn't the same. Go try Wellington Pancake House. It is located just before you get to McArther on NW 63rd. We have eaten there several time and the good is really good. I think they have an all you can eat pancakes thing, but their omelette's are awesome. My fav of all the places is Jimmy's Egg. but they close at 2:00pm.
    Thanks we will have to go try Wellingtons

I still think Iron Starr Urban BBQ would qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You clearly haven't seen the show then. TV care's about one thing. Ratings! Now obviously the majority of the places are good eats, but some are obviously more for visuals. Visuals and story are what sells and keeps people's interest. Heck, last time the show came here they went to Leo's BBQ and I wouldn't even rate it in the top 20 BBQ places in the metro. They went to Leo's because of the story, not the quality of the BBQ. The story makes good tv.
    Clearly, nothing! Go back and read my earlier post.

Flat Tire at Ayers and University in Edmond, they have a wide varity of burgers that would be perfect for the show.

Classen Grill!

Quote Originally Posted by bkm645 View Post
    Flat Tire at Ayers and University in Edmond, they have a wide varity of burgers that would be perfect for the show.
    They aren't in OKC. I would vote for POPS or Eischen's if they let let others in.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I still think Iron Starr Urban BBQ would qualify.
    As a 'dive' or a 'drive-in'?

I don't really think so. The Iron Starr is a pretty nice place, not a "dive" at all, IMHO.

To my mind, a dive is a place that has great food, but you don't want to touch anything for fear of disease and what not. Iron Starr just isn't a dive... and that's a compliment.

Edna's? Yes, dive.
    Classen Griill? Definitely.

16. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

Keep in mind the show's theme and the request - first, he's looking for a place in Oklahoma City. Edna's is a dive to be sure - but it's a bar. What he's looking for is an eatery. Watch the show and you'll see the most interesting spots are those that have a history, great building, lots of character and great food. Guy seems to be happiest when all of his senses are entertained. And for what it's worth, Guy is himself the most entertaining chef on TV. He's the sort you'd want to hang out with.

In OKC, I would second the nominations of the lunch box, nic's and coney island (and leo's for that matter!). In Norman, you might go with, well, the Diner! Or perhaps Ozzie's at the airport. Down towards Goldsby you have Libbys...In Purcell you have Val's BBQ...In Ada you have Folgers (but only because Bob's aint what it was)...

Ah well then.. by all means, a trip to OKC is not complete without a trip to the Asian district for some Pho.

My favorite is Pho Hoa somewhere around 23rd and Western.

I guess it's as much a 'dive' as anything...

And Steve, thanks for the clarification. I don't watch Food TV and when I hear the word "dive," my brain inserts the word "bar" thereafter. Maybe I have some sort of a problem

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBV View Post
    In OKC, I would second the nominations of the lunch box, nic's and coney island (and leo's for that matter!). In Norman, you might go with, well, the Diner! Or perhaps Ozzie's at the airport. Down towards Goldsby you have Libbys...In Purcell you have Val's BBQ...In Ada you have Folgers (but only because Bob's aint what it was)...

As stated above, Leo's has already been on the show. Ohhhhhh I just thought of a unique one that would be great tv that no one has mentioned yet. Annie's Runway Cafe at Wiley Post Airport. The planes pull up and take off right up to the backdoor of the restaurant. You can watch them though all the glass windows in the dining room!

20. Default Re: Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

What's sad is probably the best candidate would have been Allen's at NW 6 and Hudson - alas, they've moved on ....

Nic's.

The only bad part is that you never be able to get a seat if it was on TV. Its hard enough now.

My DVR is loaded up with that show. I love it.
    Just wish I had time to watch them all.
    Good suggestions, but none that really jump out at me I actually see making it onto the show.
    It would be great for our city. I think the show is probably recognized much more now than when they came to Leo's.
    I have learned some pretty neat things watching DD&D.

I'm having a hard time seeing dive or diner in some of these suggestions. I guess I'm not urbanized enough yet. neither Ozzie's nor Annie's are dives. Neat, fun, and tasty, sure, but I can't imagine ever referring to either as "There's this dive you just gotta try"

Someone made a decent point about how the place needed to have a "catch" or something unique to make the show. For that matter, maybe the chili cheese sausage-burger from Ron's might be a player. Half sausage, half hamburger and smothered with chili on top of the bun...

That's the kind of burger that might finally kill Guy...

That is the exact type of menu item I was trying to think of. It seems they like the over the top type items that are unique to each individual place.
    Good pick.
    I was thinking maybe the cheddar burger at Earls but it doesn't meet the requirements.

Thread Information