Widgets Magazine

Thread: New in town

Default New in town

Hi everyone! My husband and I are moving to OKC from Chicago (I just joined the AF and Tinker is my first assignment). We are both 25 used to "urban living", and aren't sure which neighborhoods would be the best fit... any info would be much appreciated

Default Re: New in town

Lots of cool places to live downtown: Downtown Living

The Paseo area, the Plaza district and Edgemere remind me of some of Chicago's more urban neighborhoods that aren't downtown. We don't have any of the three flat/townhouse type of neighborhoods, however.

Welcome to OKC! I've known a few people who have moved here from Chicago and few from the East Coast. It is quite different and you are in for some cultural shock. My suggestion is that you be flexible and allow the area to grow on you. It is a wonderful place to live - just be sure to get back home from time to time so you don't get too homesick.

5. Default Re: New in town

I can't seem to find a website for it, but the Sieber Hotel is a historic building in Midtown with GREAT apartments. Brand new remodel. Reminds me of some of the urban apartment buildings in Chicago.

Edit: Here's the best online info I could find. http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.a...&newsid637=56&

Quote Originally Posted by andrearose View Post
    Hi everyone! My husband and I are moving to OKC from Chicago (I just joined the AF and Tinker is my first assignment). We are both 25 used to "urban living", and aren't sure which neighborhoods would be the best fit... any info would be much appreciated
    Welcome to the area!

I'm heading to visit Chicago in February. Never been there. Am I gonna freeze my tushie off?

Thanks so much! I know it is going to be a big shock, but we are really excited about the move.

I have been reading alot about Bricktown - what is that neighborhood like? What is "downtown" living like? Does it shut down after 6:00pm? Are there grocery stores/ shops/ restaurants etc.?

Chicago is REALLY cold in february... the temperature is colder than OKC, but I think the worst part is the unrelenting wind and the sort of humid cold off of the lake...

Until we moved to Virginia (from Oklahoma) we thought snow was SUPPOSED

to flow horizontal.

11. Default Re: New in town

Bricktown is kind of a tourist/entertainment district. There is some residential there, and if you desire to be close to a lot of the action, that may be what you are looking for. The rest of downtown and Midtown is a little quieter, but it's not as if EVERYTHING closes at 6:00. There are many restaurants that don't, and some retail. There are also attractions like the Civic Center Music Hall (performing arts center) and the OKC Memorial that keep the area going after dark.

There is no great grocery option for downtown yet. There is a small local grocery on the edge of midtown, and there are a couple larger supermarkets 2-3 miles away. There are several convenience stores more central to downtown and that are open late or 24 hours.

Thread Information