Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: John A Brown

Default Re: John A Brown

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    That's why they would not let us wear them at school. So they said. There were some who wore the big front taps that came up over the bottom of the sole of the shoe and covered the front of the sole. Needless to say there were many who got these for fighting purposes.
    I have mentioned before that some I went to school with were intent on doing more than beat you up, they wanted to hurt you. Saw one guy who had to be restrained because when he knocked his opponent down he began to kick the poor guy in the face and head. Poor fellow was kicked until he became unconscious and he was a bloody pulp. And this happened in jr. high. Wonder what kind of man the tap wearer became.
    Are we talking Foy S?

Just found this for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330344039216

3. Default Re: John A Brown

Couldn't get the link to load, rondvu ... what is it?

Hey Doug,

It's a leather case with a paper credit card. John A Brown is embossed on the outside of the leather case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Metal-Cr...%3A1|294%3A200

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Hey Doug,

It's a leather case with a paper credit card. John A Brown is embossed on the outside of the leather case.

Vintage Metal Credit Card~ John A Brown ~Oklahoma City - eBay (item 330344039216 end time Jul-18-09 18:44:03 PDT)
    I still have my mom's and it is exactly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    I still have my mom's and it is exactly like that.
    It's up to $30.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonder if there's any kinship to Senator Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    wonder if there's any kinship to Senator Tom
    ################################################## ########
    Senator Tom Coburn???Saw an old John A. Brown ad the other day...Doug it's yours if I can get it traded for....

9. Default Re: John A Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ################################################## ########
    Senator Tom Coburn???Saw an old John A. Brown ad the other day...Doug it's yours if I can get it traded for....
    ... for ... WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    ... for ... WHAT?
    44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444444
    i HAVE A LOT OF JUNK IN MY WAREHOUSES...PEOPLE LIKE TO TRADE...I got you an old International Farm Tractor magazine....probably early forties...plenty of info....Want a Penn Square Bank Bag?????I got one.....it's in the car right now.....

The August 19, 1949 edition of the Capitol Hill Beacon runs an ad featuring Martha Richards as a Campus Counselor, ready to advise students and parents as to styles being worn at college.

August 26, 1949-Barbara Riddle writes a feature about Martha Richards, senior at Oklahoma A&M who is a Campus Counselor for John A. Brown.

[QUOTE=Doug Loudenback

It is hard to imagine a more "fun place to shop" than the John A. Brown Department store, generally between Harvey & Robinson on the West and East, and between Park Avenue and Main on the North and South. Various older buildings had been interconnected and sort of "strung together". Shopping was a delight.

It was an amazing store, with the alley between departments and the mezzanine with a place where you could sit and read books or magazines between the floors. There were elevator operators who told you what was sold on each floor. And the Anna Maude cafeteria in that building was so good.

But JAB also had segregated restrooms, water fountains, and a lunch counter that only served white people in the Jim Crow era.

My Uncle Bill, a.k.a. William P. Long, designed the window displays for the Downtown store in the '50s through the middle '60s. He went all out for the Christmas windows. I don't remember anything specific, but every time I see the scene in "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie and his buddies have their faces pressed against the window at Higbee's, I smile and remember Uncle Bill.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    I would love to hear stories, jingles and or pictures of the John A Brown department store that was located in Oklahoma City. I have two postcards that were sent by Della Brown from London and Paris trip in 1963. I remember the familar John A Brown and Company gift boxes. I also have a bridal book from the store, very intresting indeed.

GREATAMERICAparks.com: miscellaneous audio
    mine was the one in Capital Hill . Got my first credit card there.. still have it. small metal like a dogtag, but had a brown plastic sleeve to keep it in.

I interviewed for my first job at the downtown John A Brown's. They assigned me to the Penn Square store as a window dresser. I was then drafted into the military and had to leave Brown's for Uncle Sam (the Viet Nam thing).

Many years earlier, my mother would take me shopping at the downtown Brown's (rather than hiring a babysitter). My reward for going with her? A so-called strawberry soda in the basement, at the counter at the downtown Brown's. Yum!!

16. Default Re: John A Brown

Last week I got an email from a fellow in Boise, Idaho ... he's involved with a medallion and token group and the collection includes the following:

He thought it was from Okc's Browns but he had no hard evidence of that. I did locate ads in 1953 Oklahomans which showed the phone numbers on the coin, downtown & Capitol Hill store phone numbers.

Anyone got one of these?

Last week I got an email from a fellow in Boise, Idaho ... he's involved with a medallion and token group and the collection includes the following:

He thought it was from Okc's Browns but he had no hard evidence of that. I did locate ads in 1953 Oklahomans which showed the phone numbers on the coin, downtown & Capitol Hill store phone numbers.

Anyone got one of these?
    ================================================== ==================
    I don't have one but I do remember them giving them (the coins) out for a promotion St. Patrick's day of maybe the opening of the Capitol Hill store if you look, the date is 1953 and you might check the back advertising....But, the Phone numbers were CE (Central) and ME (Melrose) downtown and Capitol Hill..... We missed you Saturday....

18. Default Re: John A Brown

Thanks, Bob. I'd been to a funeral and I was just generally tired. I'll make the next one. Pretty interesting email exchange with the guy from Boise ... when he was a kid growing up in a small town in Idaho, apparently he and his friends always tuned into KOMA at night.

Thanks, Bob. I'd been to a funeral and I was just generally tired. I'll make the next one. Pretty interesting email exchange with the guy from Boise ... when he was a kid growing up in a small town in Idaho, apparently he and his friends always tuned into KOMA at night.
    And now it is talk radio........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That stuff was quite the novelty back then....There was another company did the same thing....Not Anthony's but someone like that....Going to drive me crazy until I figure this one out.......I have a Medallion collection that guy would probably go crazy over....Everytime LBJ did something of significance they (the government) would strike a medallion...I have one of all of them....Have a friend that was his personal Secret Service Guy. I got a Ronson Butane lighter with the presidential seal and all kinds of other stuff....The neatest one is a Crystal bird signed by Lady Bird that my wife got when Our first son was born...

The John A Brown link is a great find.

When we were young, going to shop downtown was always a big treat that included Rothschild's and Brown's followed by either Anna Maude or the Forum cafeteria.

I saw my first, and perhaps only, sit in at the John A Brown snack bar.

Yes, the John A Brown elevator operator and the bells that I guess summoned the need for help... One time we heard the bell sounds and my cousin asked who was playiing the organ.

Thanks all for the fond memories.

Thread Information