Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Fried Steak

Default Chicken Fried Steak

Who has the best one in OKC?

My teenage son has been craving chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes with gravy.

Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

I have heard a lot about Ann's Chicken Fry house on 39th expressway.
    Kind of a route 66 cult dive.

MadMonk Guest

Ann's Chicken Fry on NW 39th was good, but it's been a while since I've been there. There's also Chuck House on NW 10th.

5. Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

+1 on Chuck House.

Swadley's BBQ does a pretty good Chicken Fried Steak, as does Cracker Barrel.

There is a Chuck House in Edmond as well. I'll second the comment that the steak is better at Chuck House than at Ann's Chicken Fry. But you should really go to Ann's at least once. Just because. And just because their chicken fry isn't as good as Chuck House doesn't mean it isn't good. It's certainly worth eating.

We have been to Ann's Chicken Fry and I was less than impressed. The food wasn't all that bad but the place just wasn't very clean.

Swadley's BBQ is another place we have tried and won't go back to.

What are the hours for Chuck House?

Charleston's has a mean chicken fried steak as well!

Kendal's in Noble. Well worth your drive time

The chicken fried steak at Cheever's is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by southernskye View Post
    We have been to Ann's Chicken Fry and I was less than impressed. The food wasn't all that bad but the place just wasn't very clean.

Swadley's BBQ is another place we have tried and won't go back to.

What are the hours for Chuck House?
    Maybe you hit Ann's at the wrong time. We were there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see a "dirty" problem. And believe me...we would have noticed. We got there right at the end of the OU game rush.

It's not exactly chicken fried steak, but when you posted this I suddenly found myself craving a Steak Sandwich Supreme from Del Rancho. OMG those things are good.

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Maybe you hit Ann's at the wrong time. We were there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see a "dirty" problem. And believe me...we would have noticed. We got there right at the end of the OU game rush.
    It was a year ago, shortly after we moved here and they weren't that busy. Maybe it was just a bad day.

my wife makes the best i've had...haha

but locally they have all pretty much tasted the same to me at the places i've been

I haven't been to Ann's in a long time, well before I moved down here. Chuck House is where we usually go but I grew up on it and my parents still live in the area. My wife usually wants to go there when we are up there visiting, I still haven't found one as good down here....found some good ones here but just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Swadley's BBQ does a pretty good Chicken Fried Steak
    I could never eat at a place called "Swadley's."

17. Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

Quote Originally Posted by BradR View Post
    my wife makes the best i've had...haha

but locally they have all pretty much tasted the same to me at the places i've been
    I think that might be because most of them are probably using the same supplier, and the chicken fried steak is already breaded and cooked when they get it. The only changes between restaurants will be the oil they fry it in and the gravy they put on it.

mmmmmmmmgravy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I could never eat at a place called "Swadley's."
    Your missing some goooooooooooood BBQ then.

19. Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

Toby Keiths chicken fried isn't bad..

When I was in San Antonio, I had a great chicken fried steak as big as a hubcap at Lulu's Cafe. I know with chicken fried steak, there are two kinds of gravy You have the milk or black pepper gravy with or without sausage. Lulu's has no sausage in it, which I prefer. Same thing with the Chili's chain. What kind of gravy do these different places have?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I think that might be because most of them are probably using the same supplier, and the chicken fried steak is already breaded and cooked when they get it. The only changes between restaurants will be the oil they fry it in and the gravy they put on it.

mmmmmmmmgravy
    Chuck House does their own from scratch. I knew a few people who worked there from high school up until a ten years ago or so.

22. Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

Don's Alley Restaurant in Del City

23. Default Re: Chicken Fried Steak

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Chuck House does their own from scratch. I knew a few people who worked there from high school up until a ten years ago or so.
    Hence why I said "most".

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Your missing some goooooooooooood BBQ then.
    That's a whole other thread, though. I had visitors this weekend from the self-proclaimed BBQ capital of the US (out in Carolina, where they eat something else entirely). They were very happy to be taken out for "real" BBQ while they were in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post

mmmmmmmmgravy
    That's why we generally make our own chicken fry at home. You haven't had good gravy until you've accidentally spilled your strawberry kool-aid mix in it.

jsibelius, I do love some good carolina mop sauce though. what did your east coasters think of our beef bbq with ketchup/tomato based sauces?

Thread Information