Widgets Magazine

Thread: choosing the right protein supplement

Default choosing the right protein supplement

usually, i hit google for advice/reviews but it seems to me that most of the information online regarding health supplements is hype disguised as real advice. so... here's my question.

i started a weight training regimen two months ago and for the past month have been taking whey protein mix that a friend gave to me... i ran out yesterday and it's time to choose a supplement for myself.

i've noticed a big price difference between what's available... i can find a 2lb tub of whey protein mix for around $14 which is just like what i've been taking. i've seen other brands and protein varieties as much as $50 for the same 2lbs. i just want to get the most bang for my buck...

for post-workout, what's the best? whey protein? blended protein? something else? if i'm not looking for a meal replacement should i find the mix that is lowest in calories? lowest in fat? i'm a bit new to this, so any advice is much appreciated!

-M

2. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

bodybuilding.com is great for this stuff.

For post workout you want to get as much liquid protein into your muscles as possible. It would not be uncommon to start drinking a protein shake 1/2 way through your work to keep ahead of the game.

I personally pump iron at Aspen Rockwell. You?

From what I hear liquid protein is liquid protein. There are some other suplements where quality really matters. I am not a pro on those so I either consult the local GNC rep (preferably one who is a bodybuilder) or go ask at bodybuilding.com

3. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

My suggestion is that you call Brian Atteberry at Results Fitness in Edmond. I have done physical therapy with several of his clients, and from communicating with him, it is obvious he is on top of his information. I cannot promise you he personally uses protein, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Eric

4. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

I recently bought a 5lb bag of EAS 100% Whey Protein at Sam's Club for $29.87. You can't beat the price. The chocolate flavor mixes really well and the taste is tolerable.

5. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

I lifted weights for 16 years (strength, not bodybuilding) and I never found any that worked better than simply eating correctly for what you're wanting to achieve.

If you really want the skinny on it, talk to a Dietician and/or Nutritionist that doesn't work in a gym or supplement store. Asking the guy at GNC or a bodybuilder is like asking a car salesman for advice on automotive maintenance. You're either going to get sales pitch or somebody's current favorite.

Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by actionman
    i personally pump iron at aspen rockwell. you?
    i work out at home using a powertec leverage gym.

Quote Originally Posted by ogts
    asking the guy at gnc or a bodybuilder is like asking a car salesman for advice on automotive maintenance.
    that's pretty much what i'm finding out... i went to a mom-and-pop place over on 119th & s. western thinking i'd get better advice than a chain such as gnc. i go in asking specifically for whey protein and after a brief conversation the guy plops a bottle of ephedrine in front of me. i checked out gnc after that and the kid working there at least made an honest effort.

-M

mmm, it really depends on your goals and what you're trying to achieve. If you're just wanting to maintain weight or stay lean, any protein will do. Ratio of 1 gram of protein per every 2 lbs of body weight is usually suggested by dieticians. If you are wanting to gain mass (size of muscle), then get a weight gainer formula with more calories (they taste better too). Also a ratio of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight can really get you to gain some muscle mass if you are working effectively. Whey protein is best for gaining mass or a blend will suffice. Soy protein just doesn't cut it if you are wanting to bulk up, but it is better than not taking anything. I personally like BSN's proteins. I have used numerous proteins over the years and have consistently got better results with BSN's products. Their Syntha 6 protein has all 6 cruicial Amino Acids which help your body repair faster and healthier with less fatigue time. It also helps inprove your nitrogen levels (vascularity, etc.). Nitrogen also improves your blood flow, thus getting nutrients to fatigued muscles more effectively. There are also some good protein blends with creatine in them, and creatine gives you strength and density in your muscles. To some extent, you are paying for brand, but I have personally noticed better results with the higher end products. It's your body after all. Good luck and definitely read user reviews of proteins. ProSource is also a cheap, safe and reliable source of good products and they have a great house brand of products at great prices.

Hopefully you are taking supplements with your basic protein, I prefer to get some of my supplements in my protein and not have one more thing to take.

BSN Online - Products - Syntha-6

thanks, metro!

at this stage of the game, i'm looking to increase muscle mass so that my body burns more calories and therefore more easily burns fat. to accomplish this, i maintain a routine so that i do around 12 reps per set of any given muscle group. i work out 5 days a week: 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off. i figure that i'll have increased gains and less fatigue by supplementing extra protein in my diet. while i'm looking to gain muscle mass, i think that i consume enough calories so that a gainer isn't necessary.

funny you recommended syntha 6... that's what i ended up buying. it's a blended protein product and, what i've since read, doesn't have as rapid an absorption rate as straight whey protein. what i decided to do is order a jar of 'gold standard' brand whey protein. i'll take the syntha 6 in the morning and the whey protein post-workout... that way, i'll get sustained absorption during the day and a boost post-workout.

-M

9. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

BTW, you'll know it when you start taking too much.

So will the paint on your walls...'Cause you'll be able to peel it with an air biscuit.

also think about what times you workout during the day when you get your proteins. soy, casein, and whey all absorb at a different rate in your system. once you fall asleep at night, your bodies absorption level is minimized itself, so something that's slow digesting. Whey is usually digested faster when either of them. I workout usualyl at 9pm, so I have a mixture of soy/whey protein throughout the day, and whey before bed.

first thing you should do is work on your diet. no product is going to be truelly effective unless you eat healthy. depending on what you want to do, the diets vary greatly and themselves change day to day. i have huge carb days, and huge protein days and huge calorie days all in one week.

i like muscletech's nitrotech hardcore. it is a mixture of proteins and creatine. the only drawback is that it is full of sugar to help the absorption. its a good product, but not before bed.

you will never really know what works, or just as importantly, TASTES better to you than by experimenting and time. get a gold card at gnc and buy your stuff the first week of the month. they usually have good deals. bodybuilding.com also is really cheap too. also dont be afraid to ask the huge guy at the gym about what they use. we are always willing to spit out advice.

ON 100% Gold Standard is the best of several I have tried.

don't buy anything at GNC unless you hate money. if you are in NW OKC, the sports nutrition place by Aspen on rockwell and expressway will price match internet sites

prosource.net
    bodybuilding.com
    nutraplanet.com

always have the best prices I can find, check all 3 before you go in and get the price match

i work out at aspen on rockwell too, what is the name of the place there?
    I got a GNC guy that I get discounts from but can always use better discounts......

thanks for the info, supersooner. i work out around 4pm... so my current plan is to take blended protein (syntha-6) at breakfast and whey protein (100% gold standard) right after workout.

as for prices... i bought 100% gold standard from amazon.com and paid $42.99 for a 5.15lb tub.

-M

no problem mmmmmm
    bodybuilding.com has every product basically so you can actually compare the nutrition facts that are on the side of the products. its a good way to figure out what else is in the product. a lot of protein powders are high in calories, sodium, and are high in calories from fat. this is most useful when you get to a point and want to cut some weight or are looking to get trimmed and not add much mass to what you currently have. again it all depends on what else you eat. especially when are doing double servings to get your protein intake up......

What are the main goals that you are trying to get too?

Quote Originally Posted by supersooner View Post
    i work out at aspen on rockwell too, what is the name of the place there?
    I got a GNC guy that I get discounts from but can always use better discounts......
    I think its called discount sports nutrition or discount sports supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    BTW, you'll know it when you start taking too much.

So will the paint on your walls...'Cause you'll be able to peel it with an air biscuit.
    OGTS brings up a good point I forgot to mention in my recommendation. The more protein you consume, the more fiber and water you will need to consume. LOTS of water. You don't want to get ketoacidosis.

i purchased some syntha-6 this weekend. I got the mocha flavor, gotta try something different.... It's not too bad tasting. Seems to mix better than others and doing couble dosages in one mixer bottle seems to work real well. Will let you know how it goes after the forst jug. That discount store by aspen is pretty good. not much for stock or variety, but enough. minus the kids working in there, it wasn't that bad of place. just like the one at quail springs.

18. Default Re: choosing the right protein supplement

Ratio of 1 gram of protein per every 2 lbs of body weight is usually suggested by dieticians.
    Is that per intake or per day? I too drink the Sam's EAS at $29 for 5lbs (I mix one chocolate and one vanilla together with 3oz. skim milk and 5oz. water). If your ration is per drink, that would be 100 grams. The drink only has 23 grams in it. Are you saying I'd have to drink about 5!!!!!

Everything I read before taking it was that only so much protein is going to be transferred to your muscles so don't get caught up in buying products that promote 40-80 grams per drink because most of it over 30grams at once will never go to your muscles. Anyone know if this is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Is that per intake or per day? I too drink the Sam's EAS at $29 for 5lbs (I mix one chocolate and one vanilla together with 3oz. skim milk and 5oz. water). If your ration is per drink, that would be 100 grams. The drink only has 23 grams in it. Are you saying I'd have to drink about 5!!!!!

Everything I read before taking it was that only so much protein is going to be transferred to your muscles so don't get caught up in buying products that promote 40-80 grams per drink because most of it over 30grams at once will never go to your muscles. Anyone know if this is correct?
    I think the amount of protein that you consume in one serving depends a lot on the conditions:
    -last workout, last meal, time of day, activity level.......

I workout in the evening so I have about 20 before and 20-40 after and usually around 40 when I wake up. The other drinks throughout the day are at around 20-30 also. I go with a 1gram of protein to 1lbs ratio. Just all depends on the person.
    Here is a good site that will help you out.

What's in a Ratio?- Bodybuilding, Fitness Articles by ProSource

Thumbs up Re: choosing the right protein supplement

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    usually, i hit google for advice/reviews but it seems to me that most of the information online regarding health supplements is hype disguised as real advice. so... here's my question.

i started a weight training regimen two months ago and for the past month have been taking whey protein mix that a friend gave to me... i ran out yesterday and it's time to choose a supplement for myself.

i've noticed a big price difference between what's available... i can find a 2lb tub of whey protein mix for around $14 which is just like what i've been taking. i've seen other brands and protein varieties as much as $50 for the same 2lbs. i just want to get the most bang for my buck...

for post-workout, what's the best? whey protein? blended protein? something else? if i'm not looking for a meal replacement should i find the mix that is lowest in calories? lowest in fat? i'm a bit new to this, so any advice is much appreciated!

-M
    The answer is a combination of proteins depending on the situation/time of the day. Whey is BEST used at 3 different times: 1. when you wake in the morning (your body just woke up from a FAST and is highly receptive and you want to maximize protein synthesis at a fast rate with pure whey) 2. PRE-Workout 30 mins-1 hr before (you will flood your bloodstream with BCAAs and essential amino acids which is a natural environment for GROWTH) and it will minimize catabolism effects (muscle breakdown) 3. Post-Workout (You have just tore down your muscles from an intensive workout and now your body is wanting to go into a catabolic state and it is HIGHLY receptive to nutrient intake at this point so you will want fast acting WHEY) At this point, you will want to accompany your whey with FAST-ACTING/Simple carbohydrates in the form of dextrose/maltodextrin combo or a simple sugar fruit like a banana. This will help to achieve an insulin spike which will help shuttle the protein to your muscles and also replenish your glycogen stores. Getting part 3 down correctly will get you repaired a lot quicker and ready for the next training session.

1-2 hours after the postworkout shake, eat a whole food meal. Go with a complex carb i.e. oats, sweet potato, broccoli, brown rice.... a lean protein source i.e. chicken breast, tuna, 97/3 ground beef/steak, tilapia..... and a solid fat source i.e. flax seed oil, natural peanut butter, almonds, walnuts

At bedtime, go with a pure CASEIN shake (not a blend) OR fat free cottage cheese for your protein source. Combine that with a fat source and skip on the carbs. The casein protein source will slowly release amino acids throughout the night and PROTECT your muscle from eating away....

30% of your gains will come from consistent, intensive training that will DAMAGE and TEAR up your muscles.

30% will come from your diet of REAL, WHOLE, BALANCED, nutritious foods. Tally up how many calories you will require to achieve your lean, mass gains. Take that total and divide it up over 5-6 meals. Eat those meals every 2.5-3 hours to keep your metabolism revved up.

30% will come from consistent, good sleep habits (7-9 hours uninterrupted) every night

The remaining 10% boost will come from your SUPPLEMENTS and that is the honest truth. They help give you an edge but they are not the GOSPEL.

Best legal supplements in my opinion from experience (effectiveness) in order from best to least: protein powder/shakes, creatine, multivitamin, glutamine, nitric oxide.

The supplement industry is a money-making business so you need to figure out how you can use what really works and discard the rest.

Hope that helps. =)

that helps alot... thanks! -M

Quote Originally Posted by 6string79 View Post
    The answer is a combination of proteins depending on the situation/time of the day. Whey is BEST used at 3 different times: 1. when you wake in the morning (your body just woke up from a FAST and is highly receptive and you want to maximize protein synthesis at a fast rate with pure whey) 2. PRE-Workout 30 mins-1 hr before (you will flood your bloodstream with BCAAs and essential amino acids which is a natural environment for GROWTH) and it will minimize catabolism effects (muscle breakdown) 3. Post-Workout (You have just tore down your muscles from an intensive workout and now your body is wanting to go into a catabolic state and it is HIGHLY receptive to nutrient intake at this point so you will want fast acting WHEY) At this point, you will want to accompany your whey with FAST-ACTING/Simple carbohydrates in the form of dextrose/maltodextrin combo or a simple sugar fruit like a banana. This will help to achieve an insulin spike which will help shuttle the protein to your muscles and also replenish your glycogen stores. Getting part 3 down correctly will get you repaired a lot quicker and ready for the next training session.

1-2 hours after the postworkout shake, eat a whole food meal. Go with a complex carb i.e. oats, sweet potato, broccoli, brown rice.... a lean protein source i.e. chicken breast, tuna, 97/3 ground beef/steak, tilapia..... and a solid fat source i.e. flax seed oil, natural peanut butter, almonds, walnuts

At bedtime, go with a pure CASEIN shake (not a blend) OR fat free cottage cheese for your protein source. Combine that with a fat source and skip on the carbs. The casein protein source will slowly release amino acids throughout the night and PROTECT your muscle from eating away....

30% of your gains will come from consistent, intensive training that will DAMAGE and TEAR up your muscles.

30% will come from your diet of REAL, WHOLE, BALANCED, nutritious foods. Tally up how many calories you will require to achieve your lean, mass gains. Take that total and divide it up over 5-6 meals. Eat those meals every 2.5-3 hours to keep your metabolism revved up.

30% will come from consistent, good sleep habits (7-9 hours uninterrupted) every night

The remaining 10% boost will come from your SUPPLEMENTS and that is the honest truth. They help give you an edge but they are not the GOSPEL.

Best legal supplements in my opinion from experience (effectiveness) in order from best to least: protein powder/shakes, creatine, multivitamin, glutamine, nitric oxide.

The supplement industry is a money-making business so you need to figure out how you can use what really works and discard the rest.

Hope that helps. =)
    great post and excellent advise for anyone looking for a good simple supplement plan.

I would probably move the multi vitamin ahead of the creatine though

A little late to the party here, but I just discovered AST VP2 - vanilla flavor available from netrition.com and found it to be a great whey protein to mix with skim milk.

Thread Information