Widgets Magazine

Thread: Very nice article - Madison County, Miss

1. Default Very nice article - Madison County, Miss

See http://www.mcherald.com/apps/pbcs.dl...809180304/1016

Madison County leaders study Oklahoma City

More than 50 of the area's community leaders recently traveled to Oklahoma City to participate in the Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership's city visitation program.

The delegation for the Partnership was comprised of business and political leaders from throughout the central Mississippi area.

"We wanted to visit a city that had already achieved a great success in areas where we have great potential, namely the biosciences and river front development," said Duane O'Neill, president of the Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership (GJCP).

The delegation received an overview of Oklahoma City's regional project and image campaign.
    "I believe the overwhelming lesson we learned from our visit to Oklahoma City is that we need to put more effort in doing things to improve our region," said Haley Fisackerly, chairman of the GJCP Board of Directors and president and chief executive officer of Entergy Mississippi. "The constant theme we learned from our gracious hosts in Oklahoma City was they got tired of being overlooked and decided that they were going to focus their efforts on investing in themselves. And they have been very successful. In a matter of 15 years they turned a very average city into an attractive city with a host of offerings to meet anyone's taste.

"They simply realized that by investing in themselves they would improve the quality of life for their own people and eventually this would attract new investments in their city and it has... billions of dollars in new investments."
    See the whole article for much more. "We're the 'Man!'"

Default Re: Very nice article - Madison County, Miss

Good find Doug. I'm glad we're being a model city to more and more cities, including leaders from much larger cities that have looked to us for inspiration. I see the value in it, but wonder if this will be a double-edged sword as we become more globally competitive by giving our competitors our secrets to success (not like some of it isn't public knowledge). On the contrary, it keeps us in check as other smaller metro's keep gaining on us (Omaha, Wichita, Des Moines).

3. Default Re: Very nice article - Madison County, Miss

I'd be curious to know what other cities have fairly well followed suit with something reasonably similar to MAPS. It's not just having the "plan," it's having the voter "will" to do it.

4. Default Re: Very nice article - Madison County, Miss

I think Fresno did something similar to MAPS.

Thread Information