Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Patrick Guest

Default Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Henry isn't completely against the state putting up a share of the money for the new Crosstown, but since it is a FEDERAL interstate, Henry doesn't think the state should have to pay half, which is what Istook was suggesting recently. I tend to agree with Henry. He's right on! It's a FEDERAL problem, not a state one. The FEDERAL government owns that highway. It's crucial to this nation.
    It should be our representatives at the federal level (i.e. ISTOOK) lobbying for this.

--------
    "Henry puts I-40 in fed's ball court: Congressional uncertainties make state budgeting efforts ‘very, very difficult’
    by Janice Francis-Smith
    The Journal Record
    12/28/2004

Journal Record Photo
    Oklahoma officials should wait until the federal transportation bill is passed before committing to fund a sizable share of a proposed $360 million Interstate 40 Crosstown project, Gov. Brad Henry said on Monday.
    "Right now, it is very, very difficult for us to budget into the future when it comes to transportation," said Henry. "We haven't even gotten a six-year bill yet out of Congress, so we don't know what our federal dollars are going to be. We can't be obligating our state dollars."

So far, U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook, as chairman of the Transportation and Treasury Appropriations Subcommittee, and other members of Oklahoma's congressional delegation have secured $180 million in federal funds for the project, which would realign a 4.5-mile section of the interstate highway.

The portion of I-40 that runs right through the heart of Oklahoma City, bounded on the east by the I-35/I-235/I-40 interchange and extending west just past May Avenue, will be moved south of its current route. The project also includes plans to create a boulevard to access downtown along the current path of the highway.

Last week, Istook, R-Okla., urged local and state officials to consider forming public-private partnerships to help fill the remaining $180 million funding gap for the Crosstown project. Without local and state funding for the Crosstown, completion of the project could be delayed until 2014, said Istook.

Henry said he'd be happy to sit down with Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, members of Oklahoma's congressional delegation and state and local leaders to discuss "any and all possibilities to get the I-40 Crosstown project done."

However, maintaining existing roads and bridges in Oklahoma is a priority, said Henry.

"(The Crosstown) is certainly something that I'm supportive of and a priority, but I don't think state government can be looked to for that big a slice of this project," said Henry. "That's approaching nearly half of the cost of the project."

2. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

I agree. I took needs to get off his rump and get the funding we need.

Last time I checked, an Interstate freeway was just that... Inter (multipule) state (a segment of the country), hense Federal.

3. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

To be totally frank, I can't believe we keep returning this man to office.

4. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    It is the incumbant factor. Most people are highly uneducated in politics and do not know how to choose a candidate. Therefore, they just keep voting for him.

To quote the woman who played the Grandmother in "Distinguised Gentelmen," "people are just use to voting for him."

Bad plan. I wish someone who cared would run against him. A person with a large bankroll and the guts to tell people what he his costing the state.

5. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    It is the incumbant factor. Most people are highly uneducated in politics and do not know how to choose a candidate. Therefore, they just keep voting for him.

To quote the woman who played the Grandmother in "Distinguised Gentelmen," "people are just use to voting for him."

Bad plan. I wish someone who cared would run against him. A person with a large bankroll and the guts to tell people what he his costing the state.
    Hear, hear mranderson. Would somebody please stand up!! How about you???!!

And lol about The Distinguished Gentleman, the way Eddie Murphy's character used a deceased pol's signs and name (which resembled his own) to win. That was a funny movie.

6. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Hear, hear mranderson. Would somebody please stand up!! How about you???!!

And lol about The Distinguished Gentleman, the way Eddie Murphy's character used a deceased pol's signs and name (which resembled his own) to win. That was a funny movie.
    I quote lines from that movie quite often.

Float. If you can raise about three million bucks, I will announce my candidacy.

7. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

It seems to me that Istook shoots down everything that is beneficial to the OKC area. First, he kills any chance of us having a light rail system in Bricktown/Downtown, now he isn't fighting for enough Federal funds to complete the Crosstown Expressway. He obviously doesn't think OKC will ever grow enough to warrant further expansion of our infrastructure. I hope he understands that if the new expressway isn't built soon, the current bridge may be in danger of collapsing in the next few years as traffic continues to increase. TIME and MONEY is crucial when it comes to this project. It should be among the top 5 projects nationwide for funding by the Federal government. Once again, we have people who say they will go to bat for us, but their actions aren't proving it.

8. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC
    It seems to me that Istook shoots down everything that is beneficial to the OKC area. First, he kills any chance of us having a light rail system in Bricktown/Downtown, now he isn't fighting for enough Federal funds to complete the Crosstown Expressway. He obviously doesn't think OKC will ever grow enough to warrant further expansion of our infrastructure. I hope he understands that if the new expressway isn't built soon, the current bridge may be in danger of collapsing in the next few years as traffic continues to increase. TIME and MONEY is crucial when it comes to this project. It should be among the top 5 projects nationwide for funding by the Federal government. Once again, we have people who say they will go to bat for us, but their actions aren't proving it.
    This is why I started calling him "I took." I hate to say this, however, it may take a bridge collapse with mass casulty to make these people wake up.

We need to get on the ball with light rail, the new freeway AND replacing "I took."

9. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Istook, if you happen across this forum and this thread, I have just one request for you.... get out if our city and move to Salt Lake City. You'd fit right in seeing as how you give your Mormon buddies everything they want.

10. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    Istook, if you happen across this forum and this thread, I have just one request for you.... get out if our city and move to Salt Lake City. You'd fit right in seeing as how you give your Mormon buddies everything they want.
    WELL SAID!!

11. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Float. If you can raise about three million bucks, I will announce my candidacy.
    How about $1 million and some crazy ideas and statements that ensure ink and airtime with the local press. That oughtta do it.

12. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

How about $1 million and some crazy ideas and statements that ensure ink and airtime with the local press. That oughtta do it.
    Might work. How much would I took spend to beat me?

13. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

As in Istook ?

my point totally.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

I think being Republican has a lot to do with I took staying in office...unfortunately, many people vote on single issues, party being one of them.

15. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

I heard this morning that the state of Oklahoma has about 300 or so million dollars in surplus funds.

A lot of people want this to go into pay raises for teachers and other state employees. Although they deserve it, look at another side of the coin.

Do we pay our teachers more now or do we prevent a bridge collapse that could be among the highest casulty count in our state's history?

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    I heard this morning that the state of Oklahoma has about 300 or so million dollars in surplus funds.

A lot of people want this to go into pay raises for teachers and other state employees. Although they deserve it, look at another side of the coin.

Do we pay our teachers more now or do we prevent a bridge collapse that could be among the highest casulty count in our state's history?
    Think of the children.

Patrick Guest

I just don't think it's the state's responsiblity to fill that large of a funding gap in the Crosstown. As I've said all along, it's not our highway...it's the FEDERAL government's. It's their responsiblity to replace it. Sure, I wouldn't be opposed to the state chipping in some to get the project completed, but not half of the price-tag. Again, Istook needs to get to work and realize this is a federal issue, not a state one.

Now, our schools on the other hand...they're a state issue. Our teachers and state employees have been some of the lowest payed in the country for years now. I'm glad to see we're investing in our future through education. It's about time! Maybe for once, our teacher graduates will actually stay here.
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-04-2005 at 12:18 PM.

18. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

It is the responsibility of the federal government to replace interstate highways, however I do believe Oklahoma City is responsible for the planned boulevard, which will no longer fall under federal jurisdiction after I-40 is relocated. The cost estimate for the boulevard is $35 million. I don't think Oklahoma City should have a problem forking over funds, but not for the construction of I-40 itself.

All that being said, I-40 through western Oklahoma has been neglected for far too long, and has been an annoyance to out-of-state travelers, and an embarrassment on our behalf. It is a dangerous stretch of road, and the current reconstruction between Banner Road and US-81 is not enough. I hope more is on the way.

19. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Although I agree the funds for the new freeway should be federal, it is obvious I took is not going to help get them.

So, the best thing to do is bite the bullet and pay for the thing. Our teachers will get pay raises via lottery funds, so that is already planned.

I would rather see the state bite the bullet and save some lives than see Oklahoma City in the national headlines because some people would not help get the funds, thus resulting in the collapse of a six mile long bridge and the loss of a lot of lives.

Patrick Guest

I don't think ODOT would allow the bridge to deteriorate that far...they'll close it before it collapses, and then it will definitely become an issue for the feds.

OKC Pulse, I agree with you...the city should be resonsible for the planned boulevard, since it's not a federal project. Everything else should be constructed with federal funds. I hope Istook is finally being exposed. Hopefully next time we can get someone else in office that can fight for the money we need, instead of dishing out money to Salt Lake City.

I knew some of you had questions regarding the light rail so here it is:

Creating Connections

City leaders look at building a light rail system

The transportation is seen as a draw to the professional "creative class."

By Steve Lackmeyer, Staff Writer

Dreamers, get out your checklists.

Civic leaders a decade ago dared to suggest a massive overhaul of the inner-city including construction of an arena, ballpark, canal and library-learning center.

And while at it, why not renovate the convention center and arts hall? Launch a new trolley system and do something big with the neglected North Canadian River?

A few years later, that vision, MAPS, was on its way to becoming a reality. So another vision was hatched. This one would be MAPS for Kids, the overhaul of city-area public schools.

The Oklahoma Centennial Commission is staying busy making its own mark with city improvements, including the Oklahoma Land Run Monument, Centennial Clock Towers and plans for a large fountain at Reno Avenue and Mickey Mantle Drive in Bricktown.

Looking ahead, what’s next?

If the question is what’s the next big investment, Chairman Burns Hargis of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce has an answer: light rail.

Even after repeated criticism by U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook, R-Warr Acres, and his opposition to federal funding for light rail, Hargis speaks about it with the passion of a Sunday preacher.

Hargis agrees with Istook that by only looking at traffic congestion, a light rail system doesn’t make sense for Oklahoma City.

Hargis, however, says he is looking at the city’s long-term needs and future economic development.

"In downtown Oklahoma City, where we want to have a hub of business, if a company wants to locate downtown, they’re looking at a challenge of where to park and how much it will cost," Hargis said. "With light rail, that issue becomes infinitely more manageable."

A light rail system, Hargis said, also would benefit the state Capitol, Tinker Air Force Base, the health sciences district and struggling inner-city neighborhoods.

Hargis cites Portland, Ore., and Dallas as examples of how light rail systems stimulate development and spur their own passenger growth.

"This gives us an opportunity to get ahead of the curve," Hargis said. "It enables us to plan the development of our city in an orderly way."

Hargis also argues light rail is proving popular with the next generation.

"They don’t have to worry about traffic, they can read a book along the way, and it creates exciting venues along the way," Hargis said.

Voters will likely first be asked to approve a hotel room tax increase to pay for improvements at State Fair Park. A master plan calls for an overhaul of the park, fixing up livestock barns, adding horse show venues and creating new matching facades for all exhibit buildings.

Meanwhile, promoters of the North Canadian River are drawing up their own master plan that calls for the conversion of tributaries into recreational canals linking the waterway to Stockyards City, Capitol Hill and State Fair Park.

Planners already have maps showing extensions of the Brick-town Canal to the Ford Center and Cox Convention Center.

"Things like that can happen now because we’ve done things that are tougher," said Jim Bruza, whose firm coordinated the MAPS program.

The private sector also is expected to influence what happens next. Urban Renewal Director Joe-Van Bullard predicts a current interest in downtown housing won’t subside anytime soon.

"We’ve only scratched the surface," Bullard said. "We won’t be bringing on 1,000 units a year for the next five years. But we’ll make steady progress. We can bring on 250 units every 18 months for a few years, so the market can absorb it."

Oklahoma City leaders were recently told the economic competition of the future is not for industry, but the intellectual talent whose presence can turn a community into a world player.

To lure what’s been dubbed "the creative class," Hargis insists the city must always be looking at itself, striving to improve its quality of life.

"When you see a house run down, what does it say to you? It says that person has no pride," Hargis said. "If we don’t invest in the city, how it functions and how it appears, we’re sending a message outside and inside. We’re sending a message that we don’t have the pride in what we have."

Rail System Plan Lost Its Steam

Great idea for downtown lacked funds, some interest.

By Steve Lackmeyer, Staff Writer

Campaigning for the MAPS tax, city officials promised all of the projects would be completed as promised with funds that voters approved.

The ballot and campaign, however, included one "if."

For more than a decade, civic leaders studied and debated the potential of constructing a light rail system linking downtown with other major destinations including the zoo, racetrack and airport.

Studies showed $16 million was needed for the link between downtown and the Interstate 40/ Meridian Avenue hotel corridor promised on the MAPS ballot.

But MAPS only provided $3 million for the project. The remainder of the project depended on winning federal grants.

Plans called for 2.7 miles of track to be laid on streets near Bricktown and I-40 with nine stops on a downtown loop.

Three years after the passage of MAPS, the city appeared to be on its way to obtaining $10 million through Sen. Don Nickles, R-Ponca City.

But the funding ran into opposition in the House from Rep. Ernest Istook, R-Warr Acres.

Istook called the project a waste of federal money in a letter to Rep. Frank Wolf, a Virginia Republican who was chairman of the House Appropriations subcommittee on transportation.

Istook argued the system would lose money, and studies suggested ridership wouldn’t support its construction.

City leaders continued to push for the light rail funding over the next couple years and even went so far as to cut track inlays into the newly brick-paved Mickey Mantle Drive before giving up the fight.

Istook, meanwhile, led efforts to win $4.6 million in federal funding for a rubber-tire shuttle resembling vintage trolleys that loop throughout downtown and connect to the Meridian Avenue hotel corridor and Stockyards City.

The city also proceeded to build trolley shelters along Meridian Avenue and downtown.

Routes for the Oklahoma Spirit trolleys have changed three times since service started in June 1999 — proof, Istook said, that a fixed light rail system would have been a poor alternative.

The Oklahoma Spirit trolleys have carried an average of 680,000 passengers a year since 1999.

Steve Lackmeyer: 475-3541, slackmeyer@oklahoman.com

Patrick Guest

Unfortuntaly, this highlights what I've been saying about Istook for awhile now. Istook voted for light rail for Salt Lake, but against light rail for OKC. I thought this guy was supposed to be representing our district. Seems like he's representing Salt Lake City more than he's representing us. Nickles had the money on the table and Istook faught against it. That's a crying shame.

Well, the rubber trolley system has been in place for awhile now. I think we finally have a good route lined up. How about building rail along the line now?

I think Burns Hargis is on the money. I wish he'd run against Istook!
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-04-2005 at 12:19 PM.

I haven't looked into the feasibilty studies for Salt Lake. I did, however, look at the $500,000 study that Istook funded through COTPA as to whether a light rail or rubber tire solution would be more appropriate. It found the later as being appropriate.

I have a few gripes about the rubber tire system.

It closes at 8PM M-W, that makes it basically useless to me for travel to and from Bricktown (usually there's street parking down there on those days, so not a huge deal).

It closes at 11PM on every other day -- again, this makes Bricktown a lot less accessable to me. I've walked accross downtown at night. I have a feeling that it's not a smart place to be at that time unless you're heavily armed.

The schedule is just plain wrong. Says it runs every 20 minutes. I've waited for it longer than 20 minutes. I wish they'd run 2 blue-line trollies at a time.

I think there are some long-term advantages to the rail system, but for half-a-million dollars, I think they were able to adequately weigh building the system now vs. later.

Sure, the SLC thing may have been crooked as heck, then again, due that city's demographics, etc. it could have actually been something that was needed. Ultimately, I don't think the two systems really effect one-another.

25. Default Re: Henry says Crosstown is feds responsibility

Me personally, I'd like a system....or course it would be nice if they had bike racks on all the buses also...

Me <-----livin' the pipe dream

Thread Information