Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I think this is city funded-3 million? City also has an outside engineering firm who will be administrating the project. Butzer of course is heading up the design team, including several newbie interns, and Stan Carrol, whose been around. Carrol's most interesting stuff has actually been since he focused on his creative metal work. His influence on the design is apparent if you're familiar with his work.

That is cool

Would be even cooler if they painted buffaloes on the side of it

Is that our ferris wheel in the lower rh corner rendering?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    That's pretty cool. I hope we can get some more, too, as these will be the only thing some people see when driving through Oklahoma City on the new I-40.

I also liked the inclusion of the devon tower in the renderings. Gave it some perspective and you might be able to see it when driving through.

Is this included in the regular I-40 funding, or is the city paying for it and, if so, do we have the money in place for it?
    The city has a budget of 3.3 mil for this. They're also bringing in an engineering firm to administrate the project, which makes me feel better. Stan Carrol, the only licensed architect on the team, has done great work in the past, particularly since he branched off into creative metal work. Still, he's not done anything this big, so engineering firm should ensure this vision come to fruitition properly. The design has his influence all over it. Hats off to Stan!

It's the Birdman, Baby, BDR-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R!!!!!!

...That means it's FLY, literally
    ...That means I like it a lot....

6. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post

I also liked the inclusion of the devon tower in the renderings. Gave it some perspective and you might be able to see it when driving through.
    thanx for pointing that out... i didn't even notice.

7. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I like the name too. Skydance Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by angel27 View Post
    Is that our ferris wheel in the lower rh corner rendering?
    I'm pretty sure those are fireworks... not the ferris wheel.

So this would be in the Core to Shore area then?

10. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Yes, connecting the parks on either side of I-40. Near Union Station.

When exactly will they start construction on the bridge? After I-40 is complete?

Quote Originally Posted by dkbrewer View Post
    The city has a budget of 3.3 mil for this. They're also bringing in an engineering firm to administrate the project, which makes me feel better. Stan Carrol, the only licensed architect on the team, has done great work in the past, particularly since he branched off into creative metal work. Still, he's not done anything this big, so engineering firm should ensure this vision come to fruitition properly. The design has his influence all over it. Hats off to Stan!
    Aahhh. So is that how Butzer was able to enter at all? The call went out to Engineering and Architecture firms, and on his own, Hans isn't even licensed to actually practice architecture. Well, he certainly knows then how to put together a team. With Carrol, he got a big dose to talent and an entry ticket.

13. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Stunning . . . yet another example of the wealth of design talent hard at work right here in our little city.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

14. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

According to C2S drawings, it will be between Hudson and Robinson on a straight line from new Devon Tower.

Stan is not the only licensed architect on the team. Kenneth Fitzsimmons of TASK design, inc. is licensed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbrewer View Post
    Actually, Stan is NOT the only licensed architect on the team. Kenneth Fitzsimmons of TASK design, inc. is licensed as well.

Sorry for the duplicate posts!!!
    Last edited by tara2008; 09-07-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: posts showed up

Looks great. Will this be built after I-40 is complete or will they do it while they're building the new highway?

I hope they can make this bridge glow white at night.

Stan Carrol is also the designer who created the art bike racks for Urban Neighbors and Downtown OKC Inc.

21. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Love it. It will really stand out from the neighborhood for a while tho...lol.

22. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I hope they can make this bridge glow white at night.
    from one of the pics, it looks like one will be lit up red and one lit up blue...
    unless that is the reflection from the fireworks.

23. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

This report at News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | ODOT faces funding crunch is disconcerting. I happened to see Steve when arriving and mentioned the News9 article ... he didn't think there was much cause for concern, and I hope he is right! We shall see.

Thread Information