|category2=Transportation
    |category3=Current
    |category4=
    |
    |project=SkyDance Bridge
    |address=aligned with Harvey axis, over new I-40 Crosstown Expressway
    |status=completed
    |owner=City of OKC
    |cost=$5,800,000 ($3.5 million from ODOT, rest from G.O. bond authorizations)
    |architect=S-X-L (collaboration that includes Laurent Massenat, Hans Butzer, Stan Carroll, David Wanzer, among others)
    |start=Fall 2011
    |finish=Spring 2012
    |contractor=
    |height=192 ft
    |sq. feet=
    |acreage=
    |other=380 ft span; City website here
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

Gallery

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Home team? I guess. Although this case may be more like cronyism, same as always. Butzer's been tight with the city, after all he was one of the Core to Shore "consultants". Then again, the good ol' boy system did bring us the Sonics- oops "Thunder".

pics?

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    Hey Great news- The City unveiled their choice for the New I -40 Pedestrian Bridge- Of the 4-5 finalists, they chose a design by Hans Butzer, inspired by Oklahoma's own scissor tail. I'm glad they chose someone from the home team!
    It is very cool. I'll upload pix on Monday. I left the camera at work.

5. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Iconic?

does anyone have pictures they can post? I would love to see it!!
    Thanks

7. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

thanks for posting this, I meant to post a heads up yesterday. I have a rendering at home, I'll try to find it and scan it in if no one posts renderings

Is this a design-build project? If so, it's probably cheaper to go with someone local. If it's just the design, cronyism may come into play, but it's entirely possible, even likely, that Butzer simply knows the area better and knew how to make the design so that it would appeal to those who were going to make the award. Outside designers would have had to do extensive research to pull off the same - don't know that they'd go quite that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yeah, that's not iconic...

Wow!!! That is beautiful! All these new developments are so exciting!

13. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Now THAT'S iconic.

Ignore the picture Thunder posted. I'm not sure what that was. An example of what a pedestrian bridge is??

14. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    If it's just the design, cronyism may come into play, but it's entirely possible, even likely, that Butzer simply knows the area better and knew how to make the design so that it would appeal to those who were going to make the award. Outside designers would have had to do extensive research to pull off the same - don't know that they'd go quite that far.
    I saw one of the models from one of the outside firms. This is way better.

Where exactly is that suppose to be located on the new I-40?

That has the same sort of feel as the boat houses, to me, which means it will feel like there is a theme to the river architecture. Hopefully we will have reason to have a pedestrian bridge over I-40.

Having seen all of the final presentations and models, I believe the winning team simply out-designed everybody else -- including one worldwide architectural firm who does nothing but bridges and another worldwide firm who has designed many of the new structures you've seen as part of the Beijing Olympics. The local guys went toe-to-toe in an international competition and won -- I think anyone who was there would agree that "cronyism" had nothing to do with it. Inspired design and practical building methods are what won. Who knew we had this kind of talent right here in Oklahoma City?

it is located just east of union station @ harvey

now that's cool!

20. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

that lives up to everything i was hoping for!

see guys... everyone who was saying that we just look for stuff to complain about is dead wrong. give us a crappy logo, we'll let you know it sucks. give us an iconic bridge, we applaud!

now i'm just waiting for tom elmore to pop up and start talking about a naked emperor and his new clothes.

Hey guys, I have added a post on the bridge here:

imagiNATIVEamerica » The NEW I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Some Guy - I quoted you in the post. I think your comment about the competition provides a lot of insight into the quality of the work and how it stacked up against the other firms. Hope that is cool, if not, email me and let me know.

Thanks!

I forgot to add: Wow, that is a beautiful bridge! Wish we didn't have to wait to see this constructed.

anybody know the height?

Wow, this is exciting on a couple of levels. One it is an iconic symbol for our city. Anybody from out of town passing through will certainly remember this and I think in a positive way. Second, it was designed by someone locally (with international competition it seems) using local themes. Just another reminder of how much our city has changed in the last 10 years.

That's pretty cool. I hope we can get some more, too, as these will be the only thing some people see when driving through Oklahoma City on the new I-40.

I also liked the inclusion of the devon tower in the renderings. Gave it some perspective and you might be able to see it when driving through.

Is this included in the regular I-40 funding, or is the city paying for it and, if so, do we have the money in place for it?

Thread Information