Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

1. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Thanks for posting that Journal Record article, Warreng88. Hopefully the Oklahoman will do a timely article before Tuesday ... I'd like to hear and know more before going ballistic about this (which was my initial reaction).

Steve?
    Bryan Dean's beat on this one - hopefully he'll come out with something soon.

2. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Steve, do you feel a letter-writing campaign is in order? This really needs to be saved. This is something which OKC might make a big mistake if it goes with a 'run-of-the-mill, we see this everywhere' design.

I have Microsoft Word 2010 fired up and ready to type.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Steve, do you feel a letter-writing campaign is in order? This really needs to be saved. This is something which OKC might make a big mistake if it goes with a 'run-of-the-mill, we see this everywhere' design.

I have Microsoft Word 2010 fired up and ready to type.

Go to council and let them know how you feel. Sign up item # VI-S or else you will be heard at the end of council after the decision/recommendations are already made.

Letter writing will be pretty latent. Most council members check their mail after the meeting- even e-mail.

4. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

OKC Pulse, it couldn't hurt.

Link to all City Council names and email.

http://www.okc.gov/council/index.html

Unfortunately the Council conveniently schedules their meetings during the workday where 95% of the workforce can't go to voice their concerns on issues unlike other major cities who regularly or at least sometimes hold evening meetings so the average joe can attend. sounds like an email campaign is in effect.

Has this had any local TV news coverage? I just emailed Channel 9. Some public dialog needs to happen soon.

Even if it had some local TV news coverage it wouldn't do much good, the local media is a joke and most of the general public doesn't care about anything except football. Notice how OU and OSU are still front page news 2 days later but you won't find anything about this on the states front page, or probably in the paper at all in the states biggest "trusted news source."

Metro -

Disappointed. How can I not be? How can anyone not be disappointed? I'm actually surprised at all the comments on here about what to do and where the blame lies, but overall pretty disappointed.

Who botched the $5.4mil+ estimate? Did the City tell the contractors it would cost that or did that figure come from contractors themselves? This definitely puts a "black eye" on whoever came up with this number if the cost actually is closer to $12mil.

On top of that, all we hear is construction costs are way down (i.e. Devon Tower). If materials costs are way down compared to say 2007 when this city, country and China were booming, I have a hard time seeing how the cost more than doubled in a down worldwide economy.

11. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I'm told Bryan Dean is working on a story.

12. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    Metro -

Disappointed. How can I not be? How can anyone not be disappointed? I'm actually surprised at all the comments on here about what to do and where the blame lies, but overall pretty disappointed.

Who botched the $5.4mil+ estimate? Did the City tell the contractors it would cost that or did that figure come from contractors themselves? This definitely puts a "black eye" on whoever came up with this number if the cost actually is closer to $12mil.
    Just be sure you tell your dad a lot of people are hacked off over this and DO NOT want the bridge to be scaled back.

I know where we can find and extra $25 million in MAPS 3 money. Mayor Mick and OG&E might not like it though.

http://www.okgazette.com/article/09-.../MAPS_3_1.aspx

Which is more important, moving a substation along the boulevard of broken promises or getting this bridge completed the right way?

I vote bridge, Okc gets one shot at getting this right. The substation can be dealt with later.

Glad to hear the Joklahoman is on it 5-6 days later, too bad the council is discussing the matter tomorrow, so the story coming out tomorrow or after does little good

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Just be sure you tell your dad a lot of people are hacked off over this and DO NOT want the bridge to be scaled back.
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "Just be sure you tell your dad a lot of people are hacked off over _________ and DO NOT want the _______."

You could always make it a toll bridge--why not--it will mostly be a tourist attraction anyway...seniors could get a generous discount...

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I know where we can find and extra $25 million in MAPS 3 money. Mayor Mick and OG&E might not like it though.

http://www.okgazette.com/article/09-.../MAPS_3_1.aspx

Which is more important, moving a substation along the boulevard of broken promises or getting this bridge completed the right way?

I vote bridge, Okc gets one shot at getting this right. The substation can be dealt with later.
    That is true. While I'm one of the people who thinks the substation eventually needs to be moved, there's no huge hurry about it. Put it off and use the money to complete the bridge. Or, use some of the boulevard money if it is accessible. If we're now scaling it back to a two lane-only road, it should be cheaper than originally thought.

18. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "Just be sure you tell your dad a lot of people are hacked off over _________ and DO NOT want the _______."
    I am not blaming Mick. The bridge was sold to us this way, and this is a one shot deal for Oklahoma City. You may or may not have already discussed it with your father, and I am not saying it is your responsibility. I just want to make sure he is aware of the dissent coming from us OKC enthusiasts, citizens or displaced citizens. Man I can't wait to get back to OKC so I can get my community voice back.

19. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

You'd be a very rich man, I'm sure. I also think people might be shocked to learn that children are born with their own brains and amazingly develop their own ideas and opinions that might not always fit perfectly into what espoused by their parents.
    Maybe it's my own life experience, which includes covering the suicide of former Gov. David Walters' son, that makes me cringe when people try to drag politicians' sons and daughters into the public debate.
    The mayor has email - instead of trying to convey messages through his son (by the way, he has more than one), why not just email him directly?

20. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Glad to hear the Joklahoman is on it 5-6 days later, too bad the council is discussing the matter tomorrow, so the story coming out tomorrow or after does little good
    Thanks for reading!

21. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm told Bryan Dean is working on a story.
    Do you mean the penetrating and ever-inquisitive-and-insightful-no-cool-aid Bryan Dean ... the one who boldly takes the city to task over unanswered questions and issues ... the one who does not get muzzled at Opubco ... or do you mean the guy that just got fired at PBS ... oh, wait, that guy's name was not Brian Dean. My bad.

22. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    You'd be a very rich man, I'm sure. I also think people might be shocked to learn that children are born with their own brains and amazingly develop their own ideas and opinions that might not always fit perfectly into what espoused by their parents.
    Maybe it's my own life experience, which includes covering the suicide of former Gov. David Walters' son, that makes me cringe when people try to drag politicians' sons and daughters into the public debate.
    The mayor has email - instead of trying to convey messages through his son (by the way, he has more than one), why not just email him directly?
    Well, it was a poor attempt at humor. Besides, I've already emailed Mick. like I mentioned in a previous post, it's not Casey's responsibility to relay feedback to Mick.

23. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Here's the next project from City Council ... I expect that we'll all get sucked into this one, also ...

Well, there may be some value in the handy self-destruct function, so it might be worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by doug loudenback View Post
    here's the next project from city council ... I expect that we'll all get sucked into this one, also ...

well, there may be some value in the handy self-destruct function, so it might be worth a go.
    lmao !!!!!

25. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

My blog post about this is here and Nick Robert's blog post is here.

What a bunch of crap.

As a secondary matter, where's the Oklahoman when it needs to be timely and spot on? I mean, sometimes, love the city like I do, I need to take a deep breath and recognize that we really DO have a long way to go before we're something above and beyond a provincial and overgrown small town that lacks a worthy public news source that will take care of what it should be doing just because that's its role in the community. I'm waiting with baited breath for Bryan Dean's article about this ... after the matter has already been decided or it's too late to matter one way or another.

Sorry. I'm pissed right now.

Thread Information