Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Larry. Stop nitpicking. Took my words way out of context.

I was referring to the fact that someone mentioned that it's not safe because someone could jump off the edge. My point was, this wouldn't be the only pedestrian bridge or bridge period that someone could jump off of.
    ???

My apologies for any confusion and there was no intent on my part to take anything out of context. I was defending your post, the person who responded to your post seemed to have missed the word "wouldn't". They also missed the safety/jumping off part (which was in the immediately preceding post).

There is nothing wrong with your post (stand alone or in with the one before it). I agree.

Pedestrian bridge gets name
    February 24, 2010

A pedestrian bridge that will cross the new Interstate 40 was named Skydance Bridge on Tuesday by Oklahoma City Council members. The modernistic design of the bridge was inspired by the official state bird, the scissor-tailed flycatcher. The new interstate opens in 2012. The Skydance Bridge is part of the city’s long-term effort to connect downtown to the Oklahoma River.

Read more: NewsOK

Uhhhhhh....didn't it get that name a long time ago...but this is the official unveiling of it? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Uhhhhhh....didn't it get that name a long time ago...but this is the official unveiling of it? Just wondering...
    I think Newsok is running out of stories.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    City Council had never actually approved a name... so it's just a formalization.

6. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Whatever they call it, people will nickname it something like "the spike".

Meet me at the spike...

7. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercitizen View Post
    Whatever they call it, people will nickname it something like "the spike".

Meet me at the spike...
    Sounds like a one night hookup.

8. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

The "V for Vendetta" bridge...The Tea Baggers will love it.

Or the Nixon Bridge...

When I first saw this bridge it reminded me of this one I saw in Buenos Aires:

Puente de la Mujer | Puerto Madero - Todo Buenos Aires

It's nice when lit up at night and actually pivots (1/4 turn) to let the boats in and out. Although I think ours has much more potential, I thought it looked strangely familiar.

^^^^^That one pivots to let boats in!,and Our's has more potential?

Bridge funding secured (Oklahoman 3/4/10)
    Federal money will help fund the pedestrian bridge that will cross the new I-40 south of downtown Oklahoma City. City council members approved an agreement Tuesday with the state Transportation Department that calls on the department to provide $3.5 million of its federal funds to the Oklahoma City Skydance Bridge project. Any additional costs will be paid by the city, which will also maintain the bridge once it is built. The estimated construction cost of the bridge is $6.6 million.
    The cost has doubled on this since the Core to Shore report, ($3.3M). Understandably lower since it was a basic bridge and not the "SkyDance" one (presumably that is the $5M on the City's website). Now it is at $6.6M

I'm glad funding was secured for the project. Does anyone know when construction might start? I would imagine soon- if they want it to be completed by the time I-40 opens.

It's a pretty fabulous bridge, and everyone driving I-40 would see it. I'm fine with that price tag, considering how iconic the bridge will be. Although not in design or scale, in concept it reminds me of the great bridge you cross driving into Savannah. From a distance, it looks like a ship with a full sail.

I agree it will be iconic and maybe even be worth the $6M price tag, but that isn't the point. We were told it was only going to cost $3.3M, then $5M, then $6.6M (still not constructed so may go up even more). In the grand scheme of things we are "only" talking about $3M, but will you be ok with any of the MAPS 3 projects doubling in cost? The answer to that should be a resounding NO! (IMO)

I agree with Larry. I wasn't exactly in favor of everything in MAPS, it has passed, so I'm not going to argue on that. I have to leave for work in a few minutes so I will cut this short. Can Oklahoma City afford a 1.45 billion dollar MAPS project? If this was estimated at 50% when it was fed to us, then we are in trouble. Let's hope that is not the case.

I'm fine with additional cost for the SkyDance bridge because I-40 is a busy avenue across America and it will give us a unique advertisement opportunity to the thousands of people transitioning through Oklahoma. I can hear it now, "I thought Oklahoma [City] was a dustbowl, look at that tall building and this cool looking modern bridge, I wonder what else this city has to offer?"

SkyWestOKC: I really hope none of the MAPS 3 projects end up that way. Best case scenario is we end up with several NBA Practice Facilities (by that, I mean they come in at less than half at what was originally earmarked/projected). However, the City readily admits that projects come in an average of 8% more and the original MAPS came in 47.75% more than what voters were told (none of the projects came in under budget and some were significantly over). Given all of the above, hard to believe but the City has only included 2.2% for cost over runs in MAPS 3 ($17M).

To be fair, even though the cost has doubled, according to the article it is being covered by the stimulus money, so in theory not costing the OKC taxpayers any more (at least directly)

Quote Originally Posted by okrednk View Post
    I'm confused, didn't you just say the ONLY walkover accesible in the whole city. Not original? Sounds pretty dang original to me for it to be the first in the city possibly state.
    Far from the first. There's a pedestrian bridge over I-44 at Woodson Park.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Far from the first. There's a pedestrian bridge over I-44 at Woodson Park.
    I can think of three on the southside at one time.

20. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I remember the one on the southside too. Is it gone now, I guess? Must have been removed as part of the I-240 widening of 20 years or however long ago that was.

Crap. Typing that just made me feel old. Well, actually, being old made me feel old, and typing that just reminded me of it.

21. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

One on the south side is over I-240 between Penn and Western.
    Right about where the "old" Circuit City was.

Isnt there a pedestrian bridge crossing over I-240 (or whatever that section is called) between SW 29th and 44th?

And then there was one on I-240 just east of Penn (where the Wal-Mart was before it relocated to Santa Fe)

23. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Isnt there a pedestrian bridge crossing over I-240 (or whatever that section is called) between SW 29th and 44th?

And then there was one on I-240 just east of Penn (where the Wal-Mart was before it relocated to Santa Fe)
    Just south of 29th is the bridge at Woodson Park.
    The other is the one where Wal-Mart was just before Circuit City was built there and subsequently closed.

Circuit City? Wasn't it down on Shields (in the K-Mart parking lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Circuit City? Wasn't it down on Shields (in the K-Mart parking lot)
    Yes, it was on the NW corner of Shields and I240.

Thread Information