Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    No, I'm not kiddin. I want OKC to become more like Las Vegas. We need the night skyline to really light up.

Look at it this way, if I win the lottery, I would invest in this. Offer money to the city to have the sign that I want on the bridge.
    I hope Thunder doesn't ever win the lottery...j/k
    I just think there are better ways to light up the skyline without making it gaudy like Vegas. Gaudy works well for Vegas, but we don't want that here. Maybe change some of the lights on existing downtown building or add lights to those that don't have any now.

I can't wait to see OKC in ten years!

3. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

heck, even in 5 years OKC is going to be totally different than it is today and it is totally different today than it was in 2000!

in 10 years? OMG ------

OKC is definitely on the move - UP!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Has anybody heard anything about this lately?? Is it still on track to start constuction this Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    Has anybody heard anything about this lately?? Is it still on track to start constuction this Spring?
    I haven't heard anything new but I doubt that it's a high priority to start spending money for a bridge over an interstate that won't be finished for a couple of years to connect areas that won't be developed for several more years. The only reason to start that early would be if they think they will be saving substantial money in construction costs.

I think a bridge-walkway over an Interstate is kinda cool but, maybe a security guard would have to be on duty at all times for the sake of safety from dumb s**t which has happened before in other places. The signage if done well would be nice.

7. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

This wouldn't be the only walkover accessible in the whole city. It's not an orignal idea, merely just more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    This wouldn't be the only walkover accessible in the whole city. It's not an orignal idea, merely just more aesthetically pleasing.
    Yeah!..I'am just saying. I think that the idea is "Great" but , just keep everything with some class.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I haven't heard anything new but I doubt that it's a high priority to start spending money for a bridge over an interstate that won't be finished for a couple of years to connect areas that won't be developed for several more years. The only reason to start that early would be if they think they will be saving substantial money in construction costs.
    The money for this project has been set aside for some time now.

Now is really the best time. Since as you mentioned, construction costs are cheaper. They want the Park to be open when the relocated I-40 opens and I am sure it would be much easier to build a bridge over I-40 before it is open to traffic.

I would agree, as long as the bridge doesn't interfere with construction. We certainly know where the road is going to be, and it would be great to have it all open at the same time.

It's been the plan since day one to build this pedestrian bridge during the construction of the new I-40.

13. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Now is really the best time. Since as you mentioned, construction costs are cheaper. They want the Park to be open when the relocated I-40 opens and I am sure it would be much easier to build a bridge over I-40 before it is open to traffic.
    Not to be a stickler, but they actually want the park to open when the as-yet unfunded boulevard opens, which is scheduled for 2014. I-40 should be done in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    I'm confused, didn't you just say the ONLY walkover accesible in the whole city. Not original? Sounds pretty dang original to me for it to be the first in the city possibly state.

Quote Originally Posted by okrednk View Post
    I'm confused, didn't you just say the ONLY walkover accesible in the whole city. Not original? Sounds pretty dang original to me for it to be the first in the city possibly state.
    This may be one of a few that are for pedestrians only, but there are several bridges that cross major highways throughout OK that have sidewalks for pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The money for this project has been set aside for some time now.
    I understand that but I was referring to the cost of construction not the funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    The type of bridge that is proposed doesn't appear to be something that should take that long to complete. They could probably start it within six months of the opening of I40 and have it done it time.

18. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

The construction docuements are being drawn as we speak.

As the design of this bridge progresses from renderings to engineered drawings I'm sure the "look" of the bridge will change slightly for engineering reasons. What elements of this design would everyone be willing to compromise on as long as the overall feel of the structure was maintained?

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Not to be a stickler, but they actually want the park to open when the as-yet unfunded boulevard opens, which is scheduled for 2014. I-40 should be done in 2012.
    You are correct on the date of the Park/Boulevard. Obviously can't tear down the existing crosstown until traffic is re-routed to the new one. That gives them 2 years to tear down and complete the Boulevard. Funding for the tear down has been secured but the funding for the Boulevard is still in limbo (as you correctly pointed out). Plans still have to be finalized on the Park and Boulevard (supposedly one of the snags on the funding because no one knows the design).

Quote Originally Posted by okrednk View Post
    Architect2010 said: "This wouldn't be the only walkover..."

The original part is in the design, as it doesn't look like any other pedestrian bridge in the State (as far as I know).
    Last edited by Larry OKC; 01-30-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: incomplete thought

yea i can think of a couple

which ones? Similar or unique in design that is....
    Last edited by Larry OKC; 01-30-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: wording

The type of bridge that is proposed doesn't appear to be something that should take that long to complete. They could probably start it within six months of the opening of I40 and have it done it time.
    Specific elements on the bridge are extremely unique, and will require extra fabrication time. Even though it's a pedestrian bridge, it will require the same amount of time, if not more, as a vehicle bridge to construction. It will be able to carry a vehicle (for maintenance, emergencies, etc.), so it's constructed like a vehicle bridge. I think a year is a good time line for the bridge (but I haven't looked at the plans, so it's just an educated guess).

25. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Larry. Stop nitpicking. Took my words way out of context.

I was referring to the fact that someone mentioned that it's not safe because someone could jump off the edge. My point was, this wouldn't be the only pedestrian bridge or bridge period that someone could jump off of.

Thread Information