Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan21 View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on Cornett's quote below? Does he mean literally put the city's name somewhere on the bridge?

Mayor Mick Cornett said he's happy with all the submittals but cautioned he would like to add Oklahoma City's name.

"The people who are going to see this bridge are those who have already decided not to stop in this city,” Cornett said. "And maybe after seeing this, the next time through they will stop.
    I didn' hear what Mayor Mick said but most people who have driven I-40 and I-35 through OKC in the past haven't had much to associate with their image of OKC except for a bunch of salvage yards and oil field pipe yards. I used to hate driving I-35 through south OKC. It's still bad around I-40 between May and Western. If I didn't live here I wouldn't have stopped either.

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    well, IMHO, the Orlando bridges are rather pedestian (no pun intended!!). The renderings of the Scissor-Tail/Sky Dance are absolutely "one-of a kind/no identification required. Think St Louis Arch. . .Golden Gate. . .et cet.

When I see the Fountain Place building I associate it with Dallas, same with reunion tower. When I see the Gateway Arch I think of St. Louis. If a piece of art or architecture is "iconic" enough you don't need a cities name on it. The bridge looks great as designed.

2. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Wow, do you really think that arch would look good with a big ST. LOUIS at the top? It's not about who pays for it. We want this bridge to be a piece of art. We didn't tack OKLAHOMA CITY on the Chihuly tower and we aren't going to have a giant DEVON ENERGY sign on the new tower.

I don't think we need to add Oklahoma City to the art work, I would be more in favor of adding to the bridge itself.

I was speaking of using the the art work as a symbol for the city.

We sure are a nitpicky bunch lately.

I don't think it is "nitpicky" to not want to screw up a beautiful sculpture. Surely travelers will know they are in OK City when they read the road signs through the town. How literal do we have to be?

It's a classic "BRANDING" strategy. No matter which side of this issue you stand, it is still proven to work based upon statistics.

Labeling the bridge with an Oklahoma City placard weakens the project. It reminds me of the sad bumpersticker campaign, I Believe in Oklahoma. (When did Oklahoma fail to exist? I believe in Santa Claus, anyone?) A sign weakens the bridge's visual impact, just as the I Believe in Oklahoma campaign weakened perceptions of Oklahoma. Would NYC or SF ever have had a promotional campaign suggesting similiar mantras? I Believe in Oklahoma is almost akin to Oklahoma is OK. It starts us out from a position of weakness.

And so, too, with the bridge: As I recall, nothing but a simple road sign indicating San Francisco Country and Marin County on the Golden Gate Bridge. The Verrazano Narrows? The George Washington? The Brooklyn Bridge? Hell, the entire Nike or Absolut Vodka campaign? They don't have to blather on and on about their brand to have a fabulously fantastic impact on the marketplace.

Oklahoma City deserves the confidence of its leaders. Let the bridge's design speak for itself.

7. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Guys, I also do n't think we need to put a tacky Oklahoma City sign on the pedestrian bridge.

HOWEVER

As a compromise, we could put 'Oklahoma City' creatively on the side of the bridge. Say for instance, ODOT could imprint Oklahoma City on the approach to downtown or the bridge OR we could put up Oklahoma City Pedistles on the sides of the bridge (sort of like a light post, all in white floor-to-top glass, with Oklahoma City spelled vertical - think way-finder sign).

Either of those would be cool and let people know they are IN Oklahoma City without being tacky and detracting away from the icon-ness of the bridge itself.

We could put Oklahoma City ON the bridge where pedestrians will be walking - but we dont want Oklahoma City on the bridge where people driving would see it. I would even prefer Downtown on the bridge where people driving could see it rather than Oklahoma City.

I mean, OKC is redefining DOWNTOWN and could seriously become a model for other cities. So, my take - NO Oklahoma City on the bridge unless it is just for the pedestrian walk area OR we could do a creative gateway signs on the SIDES of the bridge or on the freeway itself.

I totally agree that the bridge as designed is near perfect and if large/tall enough WILL be like a mini-Gateway Arch statement for Oklahoma City! Who wouldn't remember that or that it was in OKC? The bridge, Devon Tower/CBD, Ford Center, Convention Center, Bricktown, and Core 2 Shore and all of the activity downtown should encourage plenty of people to get off the freeway and Im sure many more would be coming to OKC as a destination anyways (think flights)!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

If you look up the definition for the word "icon" you will read descriptions like this: An enduring symbol that stands for and represents its object. In our case, the bridge is a physical representation of the spirit and forward movement of Oklahoma City. However, once you put the city's name on the bridge, it stops being an iconic representation and becomes merely an advertisement.

9. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I would be fine with having a sky blue neon sign across the bridge saying Oklahoma City Thunder or Home of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Maybe a yellow flashing (lightning style motion) lightning bolt in between the City and Thunder.

10. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

^ you're kidding, right?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

OK - you guys win. No Oklahoma City on the bridge. You make some good points. However, I would like to see some more elaborate signs on the interstates as you enter Oklahoma City city limits.

12. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    However, I would like to see some more elaborate signs on the interstates as you enter Oklahoma City city limits.
    That I can support.

13. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ^ you're kidding, right?
    No, I'm not kiddin. I want OKC to become more like Las Vegas. We need the night skyline to really light up.

Look at it this way, if I win the lottery, I would invest in this. Offer money to the city to have the sign that I want on the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I want OKC to become more like Las Vegas. We need the night skyline to really light up.

Look at it this way, if I win the lottery, I would invest in this. Offer money to the city to have the sign that I want on the bridge.
    I'll join up with you and maybe we can buy signs from the sign graveyard in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas Sign Graveyard - a set on Flickr

I was wondering about the translucent ETF lighting mentioned in the video @imaginativeamerica. Besides the design itself the lighting is one of my favorite aspects of the bridge. Can this type of lighting change colors? My inspiration... I really like the Element Fusion sign along Hefner Parkway and the way they change the lighting for different occasions. Red/Green at Christmas, Red/Orange for big football weekends, Green for St. Pats.... It would be really cool to see this bridge glowing Red white and blue on the fourth and memorial day. Any thoughts on this or do you think it would look to tacky?

I had not been following this topic and I just saw the art today in the Sentinel.

I think this is exactly the kind of thing the city needs, and needs more of. This thing is fantastic.

That being said, while this is a terrific project, it's still a pedestrian bridge. And it crosses an interstate, not the Mississippi River. It's not something that the rest of the world would consider 'iconic' in comparison to the Golden Gate Bridge, Tower Bridge or Hangzhou Bay Bridge.

As for Cornett, it might be worth remembering that back when he was Ward 1 Councilman he initially opposed selling naming rights to the MAPS sports arena and wanted it called the 'Oklahoma City Arena' or something similar.

17. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by ElmTree View Post
    Oklahoma City deserves the confidence of its leaders. Let the bridge's design speak for itself.

even tho i don't want the bridge to say OKC i do appreciate the mayor trying every possible way to market the city! thats great we need the marketing an i love that about cornett, i agree that the bridge will speak for itself tho

19. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I would be fine with having a sky blue neon sign across the bridge saying Oklahoma City Thunder or Home of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Maybe a yellow flashing (lightning style motion) lightning bolt in between the City and Thunder.
    . . . . and there should be a neon basket ball that bounces up and down . . . . and a jumbotron that simalcasts all of the games . . . . maybe two jumbotrons . . and some sort of electronic fireworks that shoot off after every game . . . and
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

nah, just have a neon bball running down and down one of the spikes, a thunderbolt on another and little dancing okc's all along the span over the roadway

that'll make an impression fer sure maynard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    . . . . and there should be a neon basket ball that bounces up and down . . . . and a jumbotron that simalcasts all of the games . . . . maybe two jumbotrons . . and some sort of electronic fireworks that shoot off after every game . . . and
    wait. We keep forgetting about that giant oilwell fountain. We could light it up at night so even the water looks like it's coming out in colors. And for Holidays, we could light it to look like a giant Christmas tree.

There ya go....

I think this bridge is really cool. Maybe a little off-topic, but I was wondering if there are any limits on billboards on the new crosstown expressway. The view of the bridge could be compromised if there are a bunch of billboards lining the highway.

23. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Yes, they banned them completely on the new Crosstown.

24. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

City Vue channel 20 on Cox Cable is now showing the presentation of the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    I think this bridge is really cool. Maybe a little off-topic, but I was wondering if there are any limits on billboards on the new crosstown expressway. The view of the bridge could be compromised if there are a bunch of billboards lining the highway.
    Yes, I believe the city has already addressed the issue of banning billboards on the new I-40. I think this was voted on a year or two ago if memory serves right.

Thread Information