Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

1. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

That is amazing. If something goes wrong, just ask Devon to accept the bill for it.

2. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That is amazing. If something goes wrong, just ask Devon to accept the bill for it.
    Well, I think that Devon is already doing more than its share, don't you?

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Posted an update on the pedestrian bridge including video interview with Hans and Stan:

imagiNATIVEamerica » More on the I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Doug - thanks for posting the pictures of the model. They help orientate the design and allow you to take in the whole thing.

4. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Well, I think that Devon is already doing more than its share, don't you?
    What they are doing is great for OKC, but the reason behind it is to have more office space for their own company.

It wouldn't hurt them at all to pay for this bridge. They should be interested in helping see to it that this bridge be built, since it is said to be directly a straight line from the Devon skyscraper. It would enhance their image.

We need an iconic parking garage on the other side. It would be nice to see a steady flow of people marching across the bridge to big events.

5. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

What they are doing is great for OKC, but the reason behind it is to have more office space for their own company.

It wouldn't hurt them at all to pay for this bridge. They should be interested in helping see to it that this bridge be built, since it is said to be directly a straight line from the Devon skyscraper. It would enhance their image.

We need an iconic parking garage on the other side. It would be nice to see a steady flow of people marching across the bridge to big events.
    Last time I checked, it was up to me as to what, if any, charitable, benevolent, or philanthropic contributions I would make. Do you think that corporations, Devon in particular, should be held to a different standard? I haven't noticed that Devon has been chincy in its own philanthropic choices in this city, but, that said, what status does anyone else have to tell Devon what it should do in that regard? And, if such status exists, why would the same standards not be applicable to you, or to me, and to everyone else? You wouldn't like me telling you what you should do in that regard any more than I would you telling me.

6. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

why don't you pay for it Thunder?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by tara2008 View Post
    Actually, Stan is NOT the only licensed architect on the team. Kenneth Fitzsimmons of TASK design, inc. is licensed as well.
    Right, but he's a recent out of state transplant right? He was with his brother's firm, Fitzsimmons Architects, then switched to his own, and now is on the Butzer team, right? Has he done anything on his own here in Oklahoma?

8. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

It was just a thought for the officials to ask Devon to expand their skyscraper plans to include the bridge. Giving back to the community, isn't that a great way to do?

9. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Well, this is nowhere near their building, and Devon is already committing to building a new park area and funding major upgrades to the Myriad Gardens. They also have given to the Zoo, the river boats, and St. Anthony. They are overwhelmingly philanthropic.

It was just a thought for the officials to ask Devon to expand their skyscraper plans to include the bridge. Giving back to the community, isn't that a great way to do?
    Thunder, you've got to trust folks on this one.

Devon's building, which is costing approx. $750 million, will generate approximately $100 million (if not more) in TIF funds, that will go directly to improving the area around their building site. The TIF funds will pay for improvements to the Myriad Gardens, plus other city improvements.

If that is alone is not enough, Devon contributes significantly to multiple charitable and arts organizations annually. I'm not certain what their annual giving budget it, but it is significant.

I would think just the initial $750 investment is quite enough, given how it will completely spur ongoing development downtown, especially with Core 2 Shore.

Anyone have thoughts on Cornett's quote below? Does he mean literally put the city's name somewhere on the bridge?

Mayor Mick Cornett said he's happy with all the submittals but cautioned he would like to add Oklahoma City's name.

"The people who are going to see this bridge are those who have already decided not to stop in this city,” Cornett said. "And maybe after seeing this, the next time through they will stop.”

12. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I think it's stupid. Who needs the name of the city on a bridge to know where they are??

Just wanted to be sure I was reading his quote in the correct context. I can't imagine the designer would go for that, but what choice would he/they have when it is Mayor Cornett's idea???

14. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Well the part about the name is not a quote. That may be misleading. Maybe it was meant to say that Cornett wants people to really "think OKC" when they see it/remember it.

With Devon Center, let's tag these landmarks as downtown's Pencil and Scissor.

Florida is in the process of building several gateway overpasses on interstates as they enter major cities. The cities names are on the bridges. They look pretty cool. The first one is on I-4 on the southside of Orlando and the other one is on I-95 south of Jacksonville.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...da/orlando.jpg
    http://www.southeastroads.com/florid...xit_079_01.jpg
    IMG_3147.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    Right, but he's a recent out of state transplant right? He was with his brother's firm, Fitzsimmons Architects, then switched to his own, and now is on the Butzer team, right? Has he done anything on his own here in Oklahoma?
    Butzer's team is made up of several firms that joined under his name for the bridge. Stan and others on the team have their own firms for the bridge. I know Kenneth F. through sustainable OKC. He lived in Texas for a while but has his own firm.

18. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Florida is in the process of building several gateway overpasses on interstates as they enter major cities. The cities names are on the bridges. They look pretty cool. The first one is on I-4 on the southside of Orlando and the other one is on I-95 south of Jacksonville.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...da/orlando.jpg
    http://www.southeastroads.com/florid...xit_079_01.jpg
    IMG_3147.JPG
    That does look cool. It's sorta like the Bricktown sign on the railroad bridge as you enter Bricktown from Downtown. Even though I know I'm entering Bricktown without needing the sign to tell me I think it gives this sense of grandeur and replicating this idea on the I-40 bridge should be considered.

The signs are a throw back to walled cities. You kind of get the impression you are going through the city gate. The pictures above don't do the signs justice. They are much better in person.

20. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I think it would be great to use the bridge concept as a logo for OKC. Something we use for people to associate with the city.

Kinda like the Arch is for St. Louis, only smaller. We could continue the theme in other places as well, like an entry to the WR airport, etc.

We could name it Olympic Village Bridge.

That way the Olympians can get from the Olympic Village to the various venues on both sides of the river.

22. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Imagine if the St. Louis mayor insisted on putting "St. Louis" at the top of the Gateway Arch. It would ruin the art and be completely unnecessary.

If St. Louis paid for the Arch I don't think it would have been a big deal.

24. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Wow, do you really think that arch would look good with a big ST. LOUIS at the top? It's not about who pays for it. We want this bridge to be a piece of art. We didn't tack OKLAHOMA CITY on the Chihuly tower and we aren't going to have a giant DEVON ENERGY sign on the new tower.

well, IMHO, the Orlando bridges are rather pedestian (no pun intended!!). The renderings of the Scissor-Tail/Sky Dance are absolutely "one-of a kind/no identification required. Think St Louis Arch. . .Golden Gate. . .et cet.

Thread Information