Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BoBo's Chicken

Thumbs up BoBo's Chick is Epic

Finally tired BoBo's Chicken by 23rd and MLK last night and it was damn good! I got the 4 piece with fries and biscuits and it was drizzled in honey. Defiantly want to go back , I just wish I didn't have to go there late at night,

Default Re: BoBo's Chick is Epic

For what it's worth, while they don't do lunch, you don't have to wait until late at night.
    Also, given its history and minimal problems over time, in reality you're as safe in line there as
    you are just about any other public space location in the city.

every person ive taken there has absolutely loved it and i feel safer there than i do after the bars let out in bricktown....

drunk girls driving suv's in high heels while texting and carrying on with their friends scare me.

4. Default Re: BoBo's Chick is Epic

My husband has been there twice this week-end, and he's a convert. I wish they would make breasts, and have some side orders, but he loves the wings. I'm sure he's going to go over there and wait in line every week-end now.

Their secret ingredient is a seasoning salt they buy every week from a local restaurant supply company. During football season they go through 2-3, 5 gallon buckets of the stuff.

6. Default Re: BoBo's Chick is Epic

I guess I'm going to have to go again. The last two times I went it wasn't very good.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Bobo's Chicken

My favorite first date is to take her to Bobo's then to Cheever's
    for coffee and dessert.

I like Bobo's.

Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

I'll have to try Bobo's. Your recommendation made me look it up and yelp has a lot of rave revues. Smoked then battered and fried! On my bucket list now.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I'll have to try Bobo's. Your recommendation made me look it up and
    yelp has a lot of rave revues. Smoked then battered and fried! On my
    bucket list now.
    Bobo's is an experience. The wagon is in a vacant lot just east of
    N.E. 23rd and N. Hood. Take some lawn chairs or eat in your car.
    I've not had the catfish. It will be on my next order.

By the way, don't worry about racial problems (some do) Charles
    the security guard keeps everything in line. It's fun to see someone
    dressed to the nines and arriving in a limo standing next to a hippie
    like me riding on a cruiser or in a truck.

Might have to hit it this weekend. I don't sweat the racial thingy. I make some types of people nervous unintentionally my own self. Food is a real common denominator. Everybody eats. Good fried chicken will make anybody eatin' neighbors.

Food can be hit or miss depending upon who is cooking on a given night. Catfish is not always on the menu. They have it most of the time but not all and it generally goes quickly so early is better than later.

Last time I had Bobo's it was a little overdone, but still good. Usually it is awesome.

Went there a couple of years ago. Wasn't scared in the least. I was really excited as the chicken concept is similar to my brothers recipe. Saw they used honey flavored syrup. Not a good sign in my book, but gave it the benefit of the doubt and dug in. An hour later I was having very uncomfortable sensations in my belly. Not at all attributing that to food poisoning or anything like that, but I felt I'd swallowed a cup of oil straight. Never been able to get past that. Wish 'em the best though.

It isn't called "Yard Bird" by aficionados for nothing.

15. Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Went there a couple of years ago. Wasn't scared in the least. I was really excited as the chicken concept is similar to my brothers recipe. Saw they used honey flavored syrup. Not a good sign in my book, but gave it the benefit of the doubt and dug in. An hour later I was having very uncomfortable sensations in my belly. Not at all attributing that to food poisoning or anything like that, but I felt I'd swallowed a cup of oil straight. Never been able to get past that. Wish 'em the best though.
    This is exactly how I've felt the last two times we went - and only did so because others we were with wanted the 'adventure.'

I attributed the 'sick' feeling mostly to the fact we simply don't eat that kind of food anymore.

If you're a deep fried, fast food, snack food kinda person, it probably sits just fine on your stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    If you're a deep fried, fast food, snack food kinda person, it probably sits just fine on your stomach.
    Well, now that ya mention it ... though I am not real into snackie type stuff any more.

17. Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

Has anyone has both Bobo's and The Drum Room? I went to The Drum Room for the first time last week and was duly impressed. How do those two compare?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Has anyone has both Bobo's and The Drum Room? I went to The Drum Room for the first time last week and was duly impressed. How do those two compare?
    Ive heard nothing but good things about the Drum Room and its on the list. Ive heard you can take albums in and they will play them for you while you eat.

19. Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

The Drum Room and Bobo's are on opposite ends of the chicken spectrum but both are good in my opinion.

I think you'll find The Drum Room to be more like Eischen's without all the hassle of finding a seat, a slightly larger menu, and nicer atmosphere.

Bobo's is smoked and then fried. Not like anything I've had anywhere else in Oklahoma City. I could do without the fries and the fried bread they serve with the chicken though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Bobo's is also wings only. Or at least the couple of times I've been there I only got wings.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    The Drum Room and Bobo's are on opposite ends of the chicken spectrum but both are good in my opinion.

I think you'll find The Drum Room to be more like Eischen's without all the hassle of finding a seat, a slightly larger menu, and nicer atmosphere.

Bobo's is smoked and then fried. Not like anything I've had anywhere else in Oklahoma City. I could do without the fries and the fried bread they serve with the chicken though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Bobo's is also wings only. Or at least the couple of times I've been there I only got wings.
    Correct. Baskets of wings n things and catfish is about all they serve. Would be great if they did fry up a whole chicken though.

21. Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    This is exactly how I've felt the last two times we went - and only did so because others we were with wanted the 'adventure.'

I attributed the 'sick' feeling mostly to the fact we simply don't eat that kind of food anymore.

Not really. It's happened to me a couple of times after Bobo's, and I'm a terrible eater with a cast iron stomach. I like the food OK, but I've stopped going because of the gut-grumbles.

Also, all of the comments regarding "oh, I felt pretty safe" made me chuckle. That place has become about as mainstream as Penn Square Mall.

22. Default Re: Bobo's Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Also, all of the comments regarding "oh, I felt pretty safe" made me chuckle. That place has become about as mainstream as Penn Square Mall.
    I feel a lot more safe at Bobo's than I do at Penn Square Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I feel a lot more safe at Bobo's than I do at Penn Square Mall.
    Little wonder, as there far, far fewer purse snatchers and smash and grabs at Bobo's. Of course, that's true for many places when compared to PSM.

I heard so much about this place when I moved here that I had to try it and when I did I was not impressed. The chicken tasted like lighter fluid tried it again a couple months later gross but love the concept.

I'm quite the gourmand, and my stomach was described just today at a Christmas luncheon as being "cast iron" when relating my many experiences eating fried chicken that had sat out overnight. So, this stuff is just great for me. In fact, all of my buddies cannot finish their 7-piece boxes, and so they pass them off to me, and I go to town on them -- a recent experience being in Bricktown, where a nearby street preacher began decrying gluttony upon observing what I defend as legitimate hunger due to an active lifestyle.

My first experience with them was in 2007, when Bobo was still with us, I understand. Even then I felt safe, but there was a certain je ne sais quoi with the atmosphere that doesn't exist today. Like an obligation to be a tad more streetwise. Even today with the enforcement, the primary order-taker doesn't mess around, and he has a GREAT memory. A second guess as to his attentiveness or his abilities will get you your food late, as I've observed.

I don't fault them too much for the honey sauce. Even blended honey is expensive, and they dump it on.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it's really an outdoor food, unless you don't mind your vehicle or dwelling smelling like chicken for a few days.

Thread Information