Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midwest City Recollections

Default Re: Midwest City Recollections

Is there a prize?? You didn't mention the Plaza Cafe.

Do you remember when you could catch a Greyhound bus at the Conrad Marr drug store?

I'm glad you mentioned Sparky's! When I mentioned it before, no one else remembered it .... I felt like my memory had gone haywire. Was it in the parking lot at Trade Mart?

where walgreens is at reno and midwest blvd used to be a mama lous, and before that..i recall it being a sambos,.seasons,.and goldies...all restaurants

where the old albertsons is across the street was a jewel osco in the early 1990's..and in the 1980s it was a skaggs alpha beta grocery store.

down the street on reno, where pep boys is at was a showbiz pizza parlor.

further west on reno at sooner where anthonys tv is at..used to be a kmart, and before that was a venture's

across from heritage park mall on air depot where aarons is at used to be a walmart. in that same shopping center on the corner was a brannons grocery..and also a fantastic sams barber and little caesars pizza.

on air depot right about where aldi foods is at used to be silo electronics store in the early 1990's

..and if anyone remembers when the wendys hamburgers adjacent to it used to have hanging plastic beads at the store entrance (early early 1980's)..then you get bonus points.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    Whatever happened to the old library?? Had lots of fun at that place.
    The old Midwest City Library that I remember was at the end of Bluebird Drive at Belaire Dr. I think that it is now used in conjunction with the adjacent Midwest City Municipal Golf Course.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    Is there a prize?? You didn't mention the Plaza Cafe.
    That was quite a list that chatterdude posted!

I needed to post a picture online and had to have a photo sharing account with which to do it. While I was at it, I posted some more comparison shots as well as a picture of the Plaza Restaurant (or in view of the timeframe in which I took the picture, the “LaPlaza “ Restaurant) here:

Midwest City, OK Comparison Shots - a set on Flickr

Didn't Rock Dawson's burn? Also Midwest City had another funiture store I believe it was call Grave's. It's where the funeral home is now.

I grew up in MWC and have really enjoyed your shared memories and photos.

Dick's Drive In. I miss that place. My sister and I were talking about it just this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    on air depot right about where aldi foods is at used to be silo electronics store in the early 1990's
    Isn't the old Silo bldg now the NAPA auto parts store?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Isn't the old Silo bldg now the NAPA auto parts store?
    That is correct. I don't remember what was there before

the kip's big boy was where jimmy's egg/city bites is now

the field where HPM is used to have a pond (about where wards was),it was shielded by a pretty heavy growth of trees
    i used to live in del city on reno, in the big old house that sat on a rise just below the water tower, i used to ride my dirt bike all over dc/mwc/okc via the river bottom and railroad tracks
    i spent alot of time in and around airplane park(ray trent park now)

Smile Re: Midwest City Recollections

I'm 65 years old and my family moved to MWC in 47, I've seen many changes in my life. The first bowling alley was where Langston's is today, the first dairy queen was where the old Journal building is, hamburgers there were 5 for a dollar. Remember the Skytrain theatre and Mrs Cox and her husband who ran the theatre? they were strict in the show but were nice people outside of it plus we got to see two features, popcorn, coke and a candy bar for less than a dollar, try that today. Potter's, man a person could get into all kinds of mischief there, yes MWC has really changed over the years, for the better I don't know, probably so but the memories of the 50's and 60's are priceless. One other thought, I graduated from MCHS in 64 and I thought I had some teachers who weren't all that nice but reflecting upon those days I find that they were fantastic people and everytime I saw a obit of one them passing it was a sad reminder of how fast life goes by so make the most of each day. I could type all night telling of memories of MWC and the people that have come and gone but I'll stop with this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    I drove by there this morning while running errands and that is the same building. There has been a nondescript two story addition built on the south end and the little dormer on the front is completely hidden from the front by the current sign.
    That was called the little store it was owned Mr& Mrs Willhight. The butcher 's was Mr white his wife was my kindergarden teacher we traded at the little store from around 1959 untill it was sold in the seventy's. it was a wonderful little store and the people so nice I shall always have found memory's of my childhood there shopping with my mother

Quote Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
    The place were Heritage Park Mall is was a field and the old original Pebble house was on the south east end, had bike trails all through the property.

On the east end of Crest Foods on Reno was Dottie's Flowers, across the street was the Hill Top Dairy. Going the the movies at the Sky Train Theater at the downtown shopping center, 29th & Mid America. Langstons at the uptown shopping center, 15th and Key Blvd, that was the only place to buy your Levis.

The Jolly Cone on Ar Depot was the original cruse through, McDonalds came later. Going to Across the Street Restaurant after football games.

The Heritage Park Mall area was a big field with bicycle trails though it. For years we were told to keep our eye on that spot for the "Miracle Mile" development. The haunted house was on the southwest corner of the tract and was called the Peebly Mansion...

Zamudios had the best food. We would go almost every Tuesday for happy hour.

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    where walgreens is at reno and midwest blvd used to be a mama lous, and before that..i recall it being a sambos,.seasons,.and goldies...all restaurants

where the old albertsons is across the street was a jewel osco in the early 1990's..and in the 1980s it was a skaggs alpha beta grocery store.

down the street on reno, where pep boys is at was a showbiz pizza parlor.

further west on reno at sooner where anthonys tv is at..used to be a kmart, and before that was a venture's

across from heritage park mall on air depot where aarons is at used to be a walmart. in that same shopping center on the corner was a brannons grocery..and also a fantastic sams barber and little caesars pizza.
    Before it was Walmart it was Woolco. I think they were the original tenant in that space. Also, to the south of Woolco was a hallway that went in and had some businesses in there. I used to get haircuts at the "Old World Style Shop" in there. First place I ever got a haircut that didn't make me look like I was headed to boot camp.

Best hamburgers ever. Use to go there when my mother took me to doctor's appointments.

Was wondering if you remember attending MCHS with any of the Burchart boys: Ron, Larry or Gary? Gary is my father. I have many great memories of Midwest City.

I do remember the hanging beads at eh Wendy's. My grandparents used to live on S. Highland right around the corner.

[QUOTE=timesflyin46;457629]I'm 65 years old and my family moved to MWC in 47, I've seen many changes in my life. The first bowling alley was where Langston's is today, the first dairy queen was where the old Journal building is, hamburgers there were 5 for a dollar. Remember the Skytrain theatre and Mrs Cox and her husband who ran the theatre? they were strict in the show but were nice people outside of it plus we got to see two features, popcorn, coke and a candy bar for less than a dollar, try that today. Potter's, man a person could get into all kinds of mischief there, yes MWC has really changed over the years, for the better I don't know, probably so but the memories of the 50's and 60's are priceless. One other thought, I graduated from MCHS in 64 and I thought I had some teachers who weren't all that nice but reflecting upon those days I find that they were fantastic people and everytime I saw a obit of one them passing it was a sad reminder of how fast life goes by so make the most of each day. I could type all night telling of memories of MWC and the people that have come and gone but I'll stop with this.[/QUOT

Would you happen to have gone to MCHS with any of the Burchart boys? Larry, Ron or Gary?

That SE corner of 15th and Air Depot was called the 33rd division. On that property within chain link fence surrounding the entire property were antennas and a small building. It might have been some type of communications hub.

21. Default Re: Midwest City Recollections

Does anyone know when the Rolling Heights neighborhood was developed? On the SW corner of 10th and Air Depot? Trying to find old pictures of that area and cannot! I grew up in that neighborhood (born in 78) and just wanting to see what it looked like back then!

What a great thread. So glad someone brought it back up. I moved to MWC in 1982 and graduated MCHS 1985. I remember Rose State being Oscar Rose. We cruised Air Depot for fun and even had tee shirts done by Tony Newcomb. ( I saw that he passed this last week and thought of that tee shirt). I live off Lockheed and had to go past the Conrad Marr drugstore everyday before it became a pet store. I remember the Silo being built on Air Depot and going to Shotguns Sams and Mr. Gattis. I worked at Dunn's Dairy Queen on SE 15th as well as Godfather's on Reno. Spent time working at Pretzel King in HPM and spent many dollars at the movie theater there, the video arcade and La Pizza. There was a Mexican place on the south side as you walked in...not sure but maybe an ElChico? We would go to Walmart on the east side of the mall. Beachlers were still strong and active and if you wanted a nicer store...you went to Skaggs at Reno/MWC. I remember Sam's coming and wondering how to get a membership. We bought cars from Arthur Harris Ford ad Ken's Datsun. The Bomberdier Club was the place I couldn't wait to check out when turning 21. Twids was at 15th and Air Depot and you got a tee shirt saying you bought your shoes at the shoe Vault before they moved across the street to the NE corner in the strip mall.

MWC/DC was the game to go to. Kenny Nelson ran a great wrestling program and in 1984, MCHS started playing soccer. We did not have any on campus police or security. The haunted house was the old school near 23 and air depot. We still had Kips Big Boy, Eckerds, and the Apollo twin on the NW corner and Burger King on the SE corner of 15/Air Depot. Acropolis Andys seemed so exotic. Paylors funeral home was still south of 15th on the west side of the road and we had Sound Warehouse still.

My explorer post sold Christmas trees in front of MCHS each year and Der Dutchmans was still there and we still had the OESC on 15th in front of the miler light distributor.

Lots of memories..thanks for the walk down memory lane

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Does anyone know when the Rolling Heights neighborhood was developed? On the SW corner of 10th and Air Depot? Trying to find old pictures of that area and cannot! I grew up in that neighborhood (born in 78) and just wanting to see what it looked like back then!
    I believe late 50s early 60s. Google midwest city history pics and you'll run across a ton of old pics. Not sure if there are any of that neighborhood though.

Wow am I starting late. Don't know if anyone will read this but.... My family moved to MWC in the summer of 1966. We lived on Glenvalley just around the corner from Cleveland Bailey. I relate to kids that I teach, living in that time and place was really close to what was depicted in the movie "Sandlot". Except we played ball with the YMCA league, we practiced on one of the diamonds around the corner at the school, and the entire subdivision and its surroundings were ours, from the old PeebThe Celebrity Club, I thought that was like a big time night club like on I Love Lucy. Did venture into a bar we passed all the time on Reno and Sooner. What a dump. Saturday's at the little bowling alley next to MWC HS if we weren't at the skating rink off Air Depot. The little A frame Tastee freeze type place across from Dr. Donor's original office. The Apollo Twin, saw the horror movie "Frogs" there among others, Hilltop Dairy after a game, Rose's for chicken fried steak, the 7-11 next to Crest's for an Icee and pinball. Thanks to all you guys for bringing back some great memories.

Wow,
    found this forum, and it appears there hasn't been any activity in over a year!

I haven't been back to OKC/MWC for close to twenty years, so I can't use the current store / building as reference.

Reno and Midwest Blvd. There was a Target there. Across from the Police Station, City Council Chambers.
    To the south was an Albertsons (or was it a Skaggs Alpha Beta?)
    To the East was the Hospital.

What was the department store in the Target building, prior to it being a Target? late 60's / 70's maybe 80's?

Thread Information