Widgets Magazine

Thread: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

Default Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

I would have posted this on the old thread but that one was locked. From the Journal Record:

August 14, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The American Banjo Museum is in the process of tuning up an old Bricktown building for its new home, with plans to open there in the spring of 2009.

But as with any old building in need of work, the site, at 9 E. Sheridan Ave., will require a complete interior and exterior renovation to make a suitable home for the museum’s collection of more than 300 banjos from around the world.Built in 1920, the museum’s future home is a two-story building with a lower level for a total of about 21,000 square feet. In the past few years, the building has been occupied by a Chinese restaurant and the Wild Coyote bar.

The museum bought the building for $1.3 million in January. The museum is currently in Guthrie, where it was founded in 1998.

Johnny Baier, executive director of the museum, said demolition is under way at the Bricktown building.

One question will be the look of the building on the front side facing Sheridan Avenue. That side and the rest of the exterior brick was painted pink by a previous occupant.

“Our hope was to expose the original brick and do all the necessary repairs to have the natural brick as our façade,” Baier said.

But some problems have arisen in taking off the paint and assessing the brick on the entire structure.

J.C. Witcher, with Architectural Design Group, said the brick on the front side is higher quality than that on the rest of the building, which he said is typical for Bricktown buildings.

Witcher said a chemical process and pressurized hot water are being used on the brick to remove the paint.

A backup plan would include painting the brick red. Plans also call for the exterior trim on windows in a dark green.

The project has a budget of $2 million, about $1.25 million of which is designated for the exterior.

A contractor has not been selected.

“Our hope is that when we come back with a renovation budget that the money for the exterior won’t be anywhere near what was in the original budget,” Baier said.

As exterior details are being worked out, the interior is set for exhibition space, a gift shop and a replica of a Shakey’s Pizza Parlor that will also be used as a performance space.

In Guthrie the museum has had about 3,000 visitors a year.

Baier said he looks forward to finalizing renovation plans and bringing the museum to Bricktown.

“We’re very pleased with the response and interest we’ve been getting for the museum,” he said.

Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

unavailable for comment...

-M

Looks like work is still ongoing, Steve what is the latest they have informed you of?

4. Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

Building posed more challenges than expected, but project is ongoing, just taking longer than scheduled. No worries from what I hear.

Steve, have they given you a new estimated timeline for opening, etc?

6. Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

They're working on it.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

National Four-String Banjo Hall of Fame
    Induction Ceremonies

HONORING JOHN BECKER, BUCK KELLY, DAVE FREY,
    HENRY LEA & MYRON HINKLE

Join us as we honor “banjo’s best” from 6pm until 9pm on the 35th floor of the fashionable Petroleum Club (100 N. Broadway). Enjoy spectacular views of downtown OKC while dining on an extensive buffet of heavy horsdouvres and complimentary wines and beers. Tickets are $45 per person. Call 405-260-1323, 800 OK BANJO or email: banjomuseum@sbcglobal.net

http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97570

Banjo museum set to open in September
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record April 9, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Development of a banjo museum in Bricktown has taken longer than expected and will cost more than original estimates, but will open later this year.

Johnny Baier, executive director of the banjo museum that will open in Bricktown in September. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

In early 2008 officials from the Guthrie museum announced plans to move to a building at 9 E. Sheridan Ave., which they bought for $1.3 million.Original estimates called for a $2 million renovation of the 1920 building. Johnny Baier, the museum’s executive director, said renovations will now cost $3.5 million.

The museum has the financial support of Jack Canine, an industrialist from Indianapolis, who co-founded the National Four-String Banjo Hall of Fame Museum with Midwest City native Brady Hunt in 1998. Other money has come from museum supporters and a capital campaign.

Canine also donated his collection of 60 banjos for public display.

Permitting slowed the renovation process as the museum’s directors worked through historic preservation issues. Now they are moving full speed ahead.

“Renovations are moving rapidly forward,” Baier said. “A lot of stuff is taking place all at once.”

Exterior work is under way and crews will soon begin installing windows, hanging sheetrock, and installing mechanical and plumbing systems.

A nationwide search for a new home for the museum came down to Orlando, Fla., or Oklahoma City.

The museum’s directors felt Oklahoma City would be the best place after looking at other arts and culture foundations that have thrived in the city.

Baier said the museum’s collection of 300 banjos is the largest in the world.

“We have the premier collection in the world of primarily jazz-age banjos,” he said. “But the collection is broadening to incorporate all the eras of banjo evolution.”

On April 16 the museum will hold its 11th Hall of Fame ceremony to recognize banjo players living and dead. The event was held in Oklahoma City for the first time last year and will return this year.

“From this point forward we will continue to do it in Oklahoma City,” Baier said.
    The following evening, the hall of fame banjo players will converge on Bricktown to play at several venues, coinciding with the Oklahoma City RedHawks’ home opener.

Jim Cowan, executive director of the Bricktown Association, said the museum gives people one more option when visiting the entertainment district.

“Bringing the banjo museum into Bricktown is one of the most exciting things we’ve had in a while,” Cowan said. “It’s brings diversity to Bricktown.”

Baier said there will be a soft opening in late August with the grand opening Sept. 10-13.

I've always wanted to learn that instrument. I really enjoy bluegrass. That's one of the few genres I've never performed (I play the fiddle).

Endowment established for American Banjo Museum
    by Journal Record Staff
    April 17, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – A $5 million endowment for the American Banjo Museum has been established at the Oklahoma City Community Foundation.

Jack Canine, an Indiana industrialist and co-founder of the American Banjo Museum, donated the $5 million for the endowment to help ensure the museum’s financial stability.

The American Banjo Museum, previously known as the National Four-String Banjo Hall of Fame Museum, is moving to 9 E. Sheridan Ave. in Oklahoma City after being based in Guthrie since 1998. Reconstruction of the new museum facility is under way in Bricktown.

Built in 1920, the museum’s future home is a two-story building with a lower level with 21,000 square feet. In the past few years, the building has been occupied by a Chinese restaurant and the Wild Coyote bar.

The museum bought the building for $1.3 million in January.

“My passion is to help establish and fund a museum which will allow people of all ages and cultural backgrounds to see and develop an appreciation for our national instrument, the banjo,” Canine said. “I believe this is good for our national heritage.”

Canine, a banjo player and enthusiast himself, until recently was the owner of the Banjo Corp., a Crawfordsville, Ind-based manufacturer of a liquid chemical transfer apparatus for the agriculture industry to a worldwide market.

The Oklahoma City Community Foundation, established in 1969 as a nonprofit public charity, manages funds for approximately 290 organizations.

“The museum will be a great addition to Oklahoma City and we appreciate the efforts of Mr. Canine and the museum staff in bringing this attraction to Bricktown,” said Nancy B. Anthony, executive director of the foundation.

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97820

Bricktown readies for pickin’, grinnin’ at American Banjo Museum
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: June 5, 2009

Banjos should be playing in Bricktown in about 90 days as work wraps up on a $2 million renovation of a century-old warehouse at 9 E Sheridan Ave.

Johnny Baier, director of the American Banjo Museum, admits the journey so far has had its share of surprises, including a report by a surprised structural engineer that the building hadn’t collapsed long ago.

"The north and south walls were not attached to the building and apparently never were,” Baier said. "They were in danger of collapsing. It wasn’t until we took out the interior finish that the problem became clear. That meant about a $60,000 fix to attach these front and back walls.”

Baier credits industrialist Jack Canine for backing a "proper” renovation of the warehouse, which will include exhibits far more sophisticated than the do-it-yourself displays that were built by museum volunteers for its current home in Guthrie.

"For what we were able to accomplish there with no budget for building or exhibits, just enough to pay for a small staff, Mr. Canine saw what we were able to do and was impressed with what we did the past few years,” Baier said.

Being able to spend $350,000 on exhibits, Baier said the project "far exceeds” any dreams the museum board had when they started planning a move to Oklahoma City.

The warehouse’s makeover has been extensive: crews reopened bricked-in windows and painted the exterior red — a color more in keeping with the building’s history.

The entry steps were changed, as well, allowing people to walk straight into the museum instead of the old side steps. Those touring the inside can get a glimpse of where a replica of a Shakey’s restaurant — pizza parlors that sparked a revival in banjo music about 40 years ago — will be on display. The elevator is already in place to take visitors to the second floor, which will include more exhibits and a performance stage.

Construction crews are hoping to finish work by June 30 with staff moving into the building as early as mid-July.

Surprises in store

More surprises are expected with the grand opening, which Baier said is "set in stone” for Sept. 10-14. Even Baier doesn’t know who will show up, since the participation of big names, such as Earl Scruggs, will depend on whether they already have paying gigs that week.

"We’re not willing to pay what it costs ... we can’t,” Baier said. "But they’re all interested in being here.”

Baier said banjo enthusiasts nationwide visited Bricktown and toured the future museum home. Many were pleased with the museum’s new neighborhood, Baier said, and other guests were thrilled to encounter unexpected banjo performances in area restaurants and hotel lobbies.

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, believes the museum, combined with the Academy of Contemporary Music opening across the street, will transform the district’s brand and image.

He and Baier look forward to what the two organizations might do together, and to music becoming a more integral part of everyday life in Bricktown.

"This is a dream for them to come in, buy this building and have such strong financial support that they can do the building right and pay tribute to its history,” Cowan said.

"It will mean a lot to have a museum in Bricktown, and the tourism and motor coaches it will bring to Bricktown is significant — the restaurants will love it. The museum really adds a new dynamic to Bricktown.”

http://newsok.com/bricktown-readies-...ad_story_title

12. Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

Here's a story News9.com did about the banjo museum last February.

Pop Up Video

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I've always wanted to learn that instrument. I really enjoy bluegrass. That's one of the few genres I've never performed (I play the fiddle).
    These are mostly 4-string banjos, I think, whereas it's the 5-string banjo that's used in bluegrass.

Drove by today..they have a sign up. Didn't have my camera but I may be back there later tonight so I'll try to get one then. That part of Sheridan is really turning into a nice place...

Quote Originally Posted by donbroncho View Post
    Drove by today..they have a sign up. Didn't have my camera but I may be back there later tonight so I'll try to get one then. That part of Sheridan is really turning into a nice place...
    Also saw the windows in the south side facing Sheridan have been installed. Starting to look good.

Here's a pic I snapped on my phone last week.

18. Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

Nice photo Metro and thanks for the link!

will they be adding steve martin to the ceremonies?

20. Default Re: Banjo Museum begins work on new building...

Looks like they ended up just painting it red.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Surprised no one posted anything but the Museum opened it's doors yesterday with a grand opening festival.

saw a vid clip this morning. Not my fav instrument to hear, but it ain't bad and they look like they have a nice collection. Will be worth a visit soon.

Thread Information