Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

1. Default Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

I have started a partial list of companies capable of purchasing naming rights, thought it might be fun to come up with some new ideas. Since we are really talked out waiting for the team name.

This is not a complete list of those companies that could afford to buy the naming rights, but a pretty good start. There is at least a page or two of energy type companies alone.

Looking for some that may be sleepers.

1) American Fidelity Assurance Company

2) BancFirst Corporation

3) Chesapeake Energy

4) Chickasaw Holding

5) Devon Energy

6) Express Employment Professionals

7) Fred Jones Enterprises

8) GHS Holding Company(Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma)

9) Great Plains Coca-Cola Bottling Company

10) Hobby Lobby

11) INTEGRIS Health

12) Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores

13) Mathis Brothers

14) Midland Financial

15) SandRidge Energy

16) Sonic Corp.

17) Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores

Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

I could see the Ford folk wanting to hang on, and I could see McClendon's company wanting to put their name on something downtown before Devon gets any more of the good spots

The rest of the list, I just don't see any likely players, bt then, I didn't see the Seattle settlement coming so my prognosticating isn't anything to write home about.

Midland, Chesapeake and Devon...are all owners of the new team...so it might be some kind of combo name...

That's what happens when you don't live in OKC. i someitmes lose track of the players and that copletely slipped out the mind.

Still, Devon is already branding a more significant new building in DT as it is. I can see the empire builders of the north side wanting their name on more than just a very nice boathouse (where Devon boats already dock) more easily than I can see Chesapeake letting another energy company grab the arena name. Maybe I am way off base, but to me, and to paraphrase AM " dinna support an arena election just to put someone else's name on it"

maybe that's unfair, maybe not. Frankly, I think it would be a hoot to see co-owners get into a somewhat public bidding war to name their own arena, and shoot, why stop there. Let them $$ wrassle over naming the court, the concourses, the parking lots too.

I'm weird like that.

5. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

Remember this is just a list of some of the Oklahoma Based companies that have the stroke to handle this kind of deal, not saying that any of them would want to get involved.

Also this is just a small sample of companies with pockets deep enough. Tulsa has two of the largest construction companies in the country, Manhattan Construction Company and Flintco. Plus the are several companies that are not even based in OK that might jump at the chance.

How about the "Five Tribes Arena", or maybe "Indian Nations Arena". These are just suggestions I'm throwing out.
    Last edited by Saberman; 08-03-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: to add

Is the contract with the Ford Dealers coming up? I kind of hope they keep the same name.

Indian Nations Arena? I like the sound of that, but I have not a clue how interested any of the tribes are in doing that. The owners of the team are going to want to start getting some return on their investment, so I can't see them transferring money from one pocket to another pocket by buying naming rights.

FIVE TRIBES ARENA, yeah. Something non-gambling with their name on it.

It is the NBA, you could get some rich rapper to put down cash for the name.

Snoop Dogg Arena? :P

I've said it before but my guess is it will be MidFirst Bank Arena...Privately held and it's raking in cash quarter after quarter so it could easily afford the naming rights

Looking to expand in Arizona and also Oklahoma so look for MidFirst to copy what Bank Of Oklahoma did for the Tulsa arena...Makes the most sense to me

10. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfever View Post
    Is the contract with the Ford Dealers coming up? I kind of hope they keep the same name.

The Ford Dealers agreement allows that if an NBA team should come in that naming right will go to the team and the agreement with Ford will be voided. They do get the right to meet the highest bid, so they could retain naming rights.

The city, no matter what, will receive the same amount of money, no matter who has their name on the building.

11. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

I just thought we should throw out some new ideas. We don't have to conform to the same concepts all of the time.

Hey, if the tribes, with all of their gambling money, want to put their brand in the arena, why not.

I like the 'Snoop Dogg Arena', may be 'P. Diddy Arena'.

We forgot how about "The Gaylord Family Memorial Arena".

I think there would be big problems with the naming rights being purchased by a corporation in which the CEO has a personal stake as partner in the PBC.

Remember, with the PBC pocketing the profits of all naming rights money over the city 'minimum', I could see major ethical problems with the corporation (especially a publicly-held company like Chesapeake) buying the naming rights, in which the CEO benefits personally. In fact, thinking about it, not just ethical problems, but maybe legal problems with the SEC. Something to consider.

I've decided on a name I could probably live with

T Boon Pickens Arena - (It'll blow You Away)

hey, it could happen

SouthsideSooner Guest

I'm pulling for Sonic to buy the rights.

I would love the irony of it.

Ain't gonna happen but yeah, I could get behind that

Sonic Arena - Still Super, with just a bit less s to deal with

OK, toss me some tater tots and let's make some signs and call it a party

Quote Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
    We forgot how about "The Gaylord Family Memorial Arena".
    Has my vote

The more I read about how athletics has just become one huge business, the more I love the Green Bay Packers - municipally-owned and operated with all the profits paying for firemen and cops on the street. In fact, they are the only publicly-owned professional sports team in the United States. They went through a big controversy in 2000-2003 where the citizens were split in a vote, almost 50/50, over selling naming rights so the city could earn the extra income. Ultimately, they decided it wasn't necessary and it's still -- Lambeau Field.

I'll love the Pack till the day I die.

18. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

It would be a nice tribute to Seattle to name it Sonic Arena/Center.

19. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

Tribute... or UP YOURS SEATTLE!!! MUAHAHAHAH!

I'm behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Ain't gonna happen but yeah, I could get behind that

Sonic Arena - Still Super, with just a bit less s to deal with

OK, toss me some tater tots and let's make some signs and call it a party
    LOL! Love it!!

Loves's, Hobby Lobby, or Braum's have the money as stated above, but I can guarantee you they don't have the vision for this sort of thing. No question. Some other players that haven't been mentioned are Century Martial Arts (they are like the microsoft of martial arts, mma, and other sports gear) and based out of MWC, Paycom, Hertz, AT&T has a large presence in OKC, and then there are several statewide corporations that have the dough as well. Kicker is based out of Stillwater, Conoco-Philips has a LARGE presence in the state, then you have all the large Tulsa companies (probably not interested though). My bet is it will stay Ford Center or Sonic or one of the larger local companies will snatch it up. I suppose it's also a possibility that the Chevy dealers might want to start a bidding war as well. We all know this is "truck country" and the two like to battle it out.

22. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

I hope it doesn't sound as corporate as some of then do. The thing I really like about the Ford Center name is that it is short and could just as easily be anything BUT a corporation. It could be a civic leader, a donor, etc. It's short and sweet and simple...KISS. I would very much dislike something like American Fidelity Assurance Company Center...what a mouthful!

We could just as easily get something cool like Devon Park, Chesapeake Gardens, Express Pavillion....blah blah blah.

23. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

Quote Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
    Midland, Chesapeake and Devon...are all owners of the new team...so it might be some kind of combo name...
    Larry Nichols is NOT part of the ownership group.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Loves's, Hobby Lobby, or Braum's have the money as stated above, but I can guarantee you they don't have the vision for this sort of thing.
    Agreed. Plus they would all sound really stupid.

Hertz, AT&T has a large presence in OKC, and then there are several statewide corporations that have the dough as well. Kicker is based out of Stillwater, Conoco-Philips has a LARGE presence in the state,
    I can see Hertz going for it maybe, if they don't have another arena or stadium. Same for Conoco-Phillips. But AT&T ballpark and arena? NOPE.

24. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

I don't think it matters if they are from Tulsa or Enid or Lawton. The idea is to have your name on an arena that is seen and talked about by a lot of people that watch the NBA, sports on the news, ESPN, or FSN. Exposure.

May be stupid but how about the state, call it "Land Run Arena". lol

25. Default Re: Companies that could buy Naming Rights to Arena

Yeah the exposure thing is much more significant now that we have the NBA permanently, which is why I think someone like Hertz or Conoco-Phillips might be interested.

Thread Information