Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of living in Warr Acres

1. Default Tired of living in Warr Acres

I hope this isn't the wrong forum! If so, please move it.

So, I've been living in Warr Acres since November 2007, and...frankly, I don't like it. I don't like having to drive 15 minutes to everything. Sure, I can get to a lot of stuff but I'm just tired of having to drive a relatively long time to do it through lots and lots of stoplights that eat up all my gas, lol. There's a Walgreens on the corner though, and a few things on 39th, so I guess that's nice. It's just...for everything else, I have to drive like 12-15 minutes either to Belle Isle or NW Expressway. :/ Maybe 12-15 minutes isn't so bad, but it sure hurts when gas costs as much as it does.

Besides that, the area I live in seems to be declining some. Is it just me? I live in Westgate Crossing apartments off 40th and MacArthur, and this place is pretty shady. The place is almost 40 years old and really shows its age, the management is changing all the time, and the cops show up kind of often. I'm kinda starting to get afraid of getting broken into or something.

Is there a place on the NW side I could move to that's a little bit nicer? My fiance works at 63rd and Meridian, so it'd be nice not to have to move too far from there.

Sorry to be griping so much, but I needed to get it off my chest to some people that might actually understand what I'm talking about, heh.

Default Re: Tired of living in Warr Acres

I don't know what kind of environment you're looking for, exactly, but I don't think you'll find much around 63rd and Meridian that's different from where you are now.

I really like my area of town which is somewhat close. I live around 39th and Portland on the east side. The neighborhood around me is Treadwill Hills. On the west side of Portland is Bush Hills which has some very high dollar houses. Most of the neighbors keep their houses and yards up very well. The neighborhood is within 5-10 minutes of everything I need and is very close to the junction of I-44 and Lake Hefner Parkway so I can get to downtown easily within 15 minutes.

I have a friend that lives in the Crosswinds Apartments off of May Ave between 59th and 63rd. Close to the Hefner Parkway and NW Expressway, and close to older but well-kept neighborhoods. Directly across the street from a Braum's and Barnes & Noble, so perfect for that late night ice cream run.

The Tiffany Tower is not far, and I thought they rehabbed some of those apts. not too long ago. It's just north of the Home Depot over by Founders Tower.

5. Default Re: Tired of living in Warr Acres

I live in the 63rd & Meridian area, the Rollingwood addition, great place to live. My family has lived in this area for 30 years. If your looking for a rent house, there are several in the area and also the addition on the north side of 63rd.

There are some apartments on NW Expressway, don't remember what they are call, I think they are Wedgewood Village. They are just west of 63rd, at the first light, arby's is on the corner. Don't know how nice they are now, but they were pretty nice at one time.

bornhere is right the apartments around 63rd & Meridian are pretty old, not the best places to live.

We moved to basically 42nd and macarthur in 1996 and the area has gone drastically downhill over hte past decade.

I live in the Village, May and Britton area, and I love it. Low crime, quiet, and the village enforces yard mowing and cars out of the streets. The homes are smaller becuase they were built in the 50's. My house is 50's modern, which I love.

I agree with circuitboard. The N. May Britton/Hefner area is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I hope this isn't the wrong forum! If so, please move it.

So, I've been living in Warr Acres since November 2007, and...frankly, I don't like it. I don't like having to drive 15 minutes to everything. Sure, I can get to a lot of stuff but I'm just tired of having to drive a relatively long time to do it through lots and lots of stoplights that eat up all my gas, lol. There's a Walgreens on the corner though, and a few things on 39th, so I guess that's nice. It's just...for everything else, I have to drive like 12-15 minutes either to Belle Isle or NW Expressway. :/ Maybe 12-15 minutes isn't so bad, but it sure hurts when gas costs as much as it does.

Besides that, the area I live in seems to be declining some. Is it just me? I live in Westgate Crossing apartments off 40th and MacArthur, and this place is pretty shady. The place is almost 40 years old and really shows its age, the management is changing all the time, and the cops show up kind of often. I'm kinda starting to get afraid of getting broken into or something.

Is there a place on the NW side I could move to that's a little bit nicer? My fiance works at 63rd and Meridian, so it'd be nice not to have to move too far from there.

Sorry to be griping so much, but I needed to get it off my chest to some people that might actually understand what I'm talking about, heh.

Move in to a house. That's your best bet. You can e-mail the mayor and voice your concerns. E-mails to the mayor got the new "period style lighting" installed on MacArthur so e-mails do help. mayor@warracres-ok.gov

Quote Originally Posted by airplane777 View Post
    Move in to a house. That's your best bet. You can e-mail the mayor and voice your concerns. E-mails to the mayor got the new "period style lighting" installed on MacArthur so e-mails do help. mayor@warracres-ok.gov
    Which period?

11. Default Re: Tired of living in Warr Acres

Thanks guys, but I have since moved back to Norman. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Which period?
    That's a term meaning "old fashioned"

13. Default Re: Tired of living in Warr Acres

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    Thanks guys, but I have since moved back to Norman. :]
    so much for not being far from your fiances job

14. Default Re: Tired of living in Warr Acres

He has a different job now.

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    I live in the Village, May and Britton area, and I love it. Low crime, quiet, and the village enforces yard mowing and cars out of the streets. The homes are smaller becuase they were built in the 50's. My house is 50's modern, which I love.
    Jealous.. I live in stonegate.. There are cars parked EVERYWHERE in the street.. its really annoying!

I know a couple of Warr Acres cops they both say Warr Acres biggest problem is that every apartment complex is Section 8.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I know a couple of Warr Acres cops they both say Warr Acres biggest problem is that every apartment complex is Section 8.
    That could have a small influence, however, the funding is based on people spending money in the businesses based in Warr Acres, not on who lives in apartment complexes within the city limits. I live in OKC in that area but work in a business within the Warr Acres city limits. I guarantee that 99 percent of our business is from customers who don't live in the Warr Acres city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Section 8 Vouchers and Crime Correlated; Expect Media Indifference | NewsBusters.org

Yeah I hear from an old buddy that Warr acres is starting to go ghetto..........way too many rentals and slumlords who dont care about the neighborhood just rentin to any thing with a section 8 voucher..............any of that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    Yeah I hear from an old buddy that Warr acres is starting to go ghetto..........way too many rentals and slumlords who dont care about the neighborhood just rentin to any thing with a section 8 voucher..............any of that true?
    As I mentioned in another thread on a similar subject I had a representative from an apartment complex in that area in Warr Acres stop in my office to do a promotional visit. She made sure to mention to me that her renovated complex no longer accepted section 8 housing.

This thread is funny to me... I think Section 8 housing in Edmond is a bad fit and I'm not bashful about saying as much. Look only as far as Warr Acres to see that I'm right. Folks on public assistance are more likely to commit crimes than employed/middle class folks. It's just an indisputable fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread on a similar subject I had a representative from an apartment complex in that area in Warr Acres stop in my office to do a promotional visit. She made sure to mention to me that her renovated complex no longer accepted section 8 housing.
    Which apartments no longer accept section 8?

The fence around Savannah point apartments is falling down again. It really makes the area look bad when the owners do not take care of their property.

We should contact the Mayor of Warr Acres and property owners and see what can be done to clean up/fix up this town.

mayor@warracres-ok.gov

Owners of Savannah Pointe Apartments Carlsbad Management Group LLC

Quote Originally Posted by airplane777 View Post
    Which apartments no longer accept section 8?
    It's been a couple of months ago and I don't remember which apartments. I wasn't looking for housing so I didn't pay that much attention. It was in the area south of Wilshire between MacArthur and Rockwell and had been recently remodeled.

Thread Information