Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 154
  1. #1

    Default Spookiest places in OKC

    What do you think? Where are the haunted houses etc...?

  2. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    the courts just ne of sw13th an penn

  3. #3

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Not a house, per se, but Purple Church is supposed to be pretty spooky.

    Even spookier since going there is likely to get you chased off with shotguns (it's supposed to be on private property.)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    The Witches Arrow -- located on 59th Street, near Hidden Meadow Drive, just outside Mustang. Supposedly, there was an old bed and breakfast/saloon back in the days of the Chisholm Trail. Being flat and nearly treeless, the Arrow could be seen for miles on the trail. The house/area is supposedly haunted, but is blocked by a gate. Go there at night time.

    Go to Google Maps and search 14316 SW 59th Street, OKC to catch a daytime photo.

    Then of course, there's the old Mental Home or Orphanage, can't remember which one, in Guthrie.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

  5. #5

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    I've been to the orphanage (a Masonic home, actually). Not so spooky, but interesting from an architectural and historical POV. But I wasn't looking to be scared I was just wandering around town with my wife and we saw it and decided to look around.

    As for the purple church I'd never heard of that until just now, so I Googled it and came up with some 'first person' accounts of people who went out there all stoked up about satan worship and/or Blair Witch-type stuff, heard a sound in the woods and ran out in a blind panic.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    The slaughterhouse and the 13th floor are pretty freaky places in Norman.

    Ah, college...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Anyone have pictures of the Purple Church?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    The second floor of the Spearman building in downtown Edmond is said to be haunted. It was a hospital decades ago and is said to be haunted by somebody who died there.

    The old infirmary on the OU Norman Campus is said to be haunted by one of Edwin Debarr's wives who supposedly died there during the flu pandemic after WWI. Rumor was Debarr, a chemist who had a specialty in poisons, murdered her with an undecteable poison and her ghost hangs out there to try and tell people how he killed her. Or something.

    Anybody remember the Ma-Hu mansion in Tulsa?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    It sure is a good thing that there are no such thing as ghosts.

    We sure had a lot of fun when we were young in that abandoned mansion in west norman, I think it was just south of 24th and robinson.. though my memory would be off. It kind of stood out considering the developed areas around it. It was condemned so they tore it down like 10 years ago, we tried to raise money up to buy it and save it but we were unable to.

    Lots of fun, rituals, sex, and vagrants to beat up.. whee.

  10. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Harding High School. I swear there is something going on in that building. The kids sense it, too lol.

    We've all had our "ghostly" experiences there. They even filmed a B-horror movie there a couple of years ago!
    Still corrupting young minds

  11. #11

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    I think you mean south of 36th NW and W Robinson Toad, about a 1/2 mile. Once it was finally demo'd, a bank branch went in at that spot.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Doesn't Mt. Saint Mary High School have a ghost?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    [QUOTE=Toadrax;156533]It sure is a good thing that there are no such thing as ghosts.

    Are you so sure about that?!?!?!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    WHAT ARE GHOSTS?






    A three word question. What are ghosts? It sounds simple enough, right? Wrong! Many people have contemplated the idea as to what ghosts actually are. Some will say that they are our imagination. Some will say they are guardian Angels. While others will say that they are the work of the Devil and are demonic in origin.

    In theory, ghosts are the remnants of what was once a human being. Someone, who at one time, had substance on this earth. They are everything that we, as living creatures, are........but without the vehicle we call the human body. They exhibit all the mental attributes that you and I have such as thought, conscience, emotions and emotional needs, morals, calculation, ego, personality and everything that makes up the human psyche. My experiences with ghosts and ghost hunting has served to reinforce this ghost theory and I am grateful.

    Life is energy. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Science fact is that energy can only change forms. The energy that makes up our being, where does it go when we die? It must transform into something else, but what? My suggestion is that ghosts are the what, our life energy. When we die, we are still ourselves. Our life energy still exists, only it cannot reside in a body that no longer functions. Just because we do not understand this immeasurable form of energy does not mean we should deny its existence.

    It is strictly belief that people move on to some other destination upon death. This is something we cannot confirm or deny. However, through research, investigation and experience, we have come to know that there are instances involving phenomena that we cannot otherwise explain as being natural. Many of those instances have incorporated a demonstration of intellect, calculation and freedom of will behind the experienced phenomena. It is through research and perseverance, we can only hope to gain a better understanding.



    MAIN PAGE

  15. #15

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    The East 2 wings of Hope Hall at Griffin Memorial Hospital in Norman. My agency offices there...and there aren't many employees that will go there at night because many believe it is haunted. Those 2 wings were the prison section of the hospital where they housed criminally insane people years and years ago. When we moved in there...there was a gurney in one of the rooms that had the words "help me" scratched on the underside. Many people have claimed to have heard noises and voices there late at night. It is very spooky at night.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    What, are we 10 years old? Ghosts? Seriously?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Yukong - I suspect I worked for that same agency.

    i believe in ghosts and they scare me...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    i believe in ghosts and they scare me...
    If I ever met a ghost, I would try to have sex with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    WHAT ARE GHOSTS?

    In theory, ghosts are the remnants of what was once a human being. Someone, who at one time, had substance on this earth. They are everything that we, as living creatures, are........but without the vehicle we call the human body. They exhibit all the mental attributes that you and I have such as thought, conscience, emotions and emotional needs, morals, calculation, ego, personality and everything that makes up the human psyche. My experiences with ghosts and ghost hunting has served to reinforce this ghost theory and I am grateful.
    BZZT, try again. Cognitive psychology proves you wrong. Our mental attributes are mechanical operations of our brain. Even remembering something burns calories. Without the brain we wouldn't even be able to perceive time. I could go on and on, but it is a fact that without the brain our experience would be limited...

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Life is energy. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Science fact is that energy can only change forms. The energy that makes up our being, where does it go when we die? It must transform into something else, but what? My suggestion is that ghosts are the what, our life energy. When we die, we are still ourselves. Our life energy still exists, only it cannot reside in a body that no longer functions. Just because we do not understand this immeasurable form of energy does not mean we should deny its existence.
    Please do not use the word science in this context. We call this, pseudoscience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    However, through research, investigation and experience, we have come to know that there are instances involving phenomena that we cannot otherwise explain as being natural.
    Nothing has ever been scientifically recorded that is unnatural. People often experience strange things, but our perception of reality is also flawed. Almost everything we see and hear is made up by our brain, even time itself. It often makes mistakes, especially when the senses are highly excited(like when you are scared) and deprived(when it is dark and quiet).

    Even our memories can not be trusted. How many times must there be a car accident where the 50 witnesses all have unique and conflicting stories? Their recall of what happened is what they believe happened.. but reality often disagrees. Eye witnesses testimony is the most unreliable form of evidence there is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Many of those instances have incorporated a demonstration of intellect, calculation and freedom of will behind the experienced phenomena. It is through research and perseverance, we can only hope to gain a better understanding.
    Our brains are also good at making patterns from noise. Your washing machine might sound like it is pumping out the beat to a hip hop song, and you could accept that your washing machine is hip or you could accept that your brain wants to hear that song.

    Dreaming is a perfect example of noise that has intellect, calculation, and freedom.

    Even if there are weird unexplained things happening, it is closed minded to assume that it is a ghost. It is even more closed minded to assume that it is going to hurt you.

    More than 910,000 people will die of heart disease this year, but 0 will die from a ghost. My advice is simple. Instead of sitting around being afraid of ghosts, put down the big mac and go for a walk.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Actually I do believe in spirits or ghosts...but not like the ones you were taught as a child, I do not believe they are out to hurt anyone. Things I would love to experience in life are tornadoes, ghosts and aliens...none of which scare me even in the least. So explain to me where exactly does our energy go when we die?...And before you say energy can be created and destroyed in my line of work I know better, we simply take one form of energy to translate it into another which translates it into another and so on...

    My washing machine never sang a song to me by the way and eating a Big Mac...no way in hell will I ever touch one again in my life...

  20. #20

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    The Witches Arrow -- located on 59th Street, near Hidden Meadow Drive, just outside Mustang. Supposedly, there was an old bed and breakfast/saloon back in the days of the Chisholm Trail. Being flat and nearly treeless, the Arrow could be seen for miles on the trail. The house/area is supposedly haunted, but is blocked by a gate. Go there at night time.

    Go to Google Maps and search 14316 SW 59th Street, OKC to catch a daytime photo.

    Then of course, there's the old Mental Home or Orphanage, can't remember which one, in Guthrie.
    I apologize for the bad link. Here's an aerial view of the "Witch's Arrow".

    Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

  21. #21

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    > there aren't many employees that will go there at night because
    > many believe it is haunted.

    Times have apparently changed. Hope used to be less empty in the wee hours of the night. I guess maybe the ghosts have won.

    I miss Hope Hall at times, but I can't say I miss the all nighters. I do miss many of the good folks who I was honored to go elbow to elbow with from there.

  22. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that every night janitor we've ever had at Harding is scared to be in the building alone :P They always work in pairs now, it seems.

    And there are these rooms in the boiler room...these little chambers with nothing but a light bulb in a low ceiling. One even had an old chair in it! Crreeeeeepppppyyyy.
    Still corrupting young minds

  23. #23

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Been to the purple church. I used to have a friend who lived in that house just before the curve the church sits on. That church was no joke. My friend begged his parents to not build there. They ended up placing like 9 dobermans in their front yard and had to put bars on the windows and doors. All kinds of creepy things happened to us there. I will never forget the milk van that used to stalk us with all the creepy writing on it's side. I have no idea if this is still active or not - I am not dumb enough to go back to find out. Haven't been there since probably 1988. I've seen the exorcist, no thank you.
    Also went to the old Belle Isle plant before they tore it down. Thank Geez they tore it down. Very creepy!
    As for ghosts and haunted places - been to plenty. Did a tour with the paranormal group on Halloween of the Overholser mansion. Awesome! Ghost stuff doesn't scare me at all. Do I believe - yep!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    this 'purple church' thing has me intrigued... when you guys say 'curve' are you talking spencer road? where is this 'purple church'?

    -M

  25. #25

    Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Actually I do believe in spirits or ghosts...but not like the ones you were taught as a child, I do not believe they are out to hurt anyone. Things I would love to experience in life are tornadoes, ghosts and aliens...none of which scare me even in the least. So explain to me where exactly does our energy go when we die?...And before you say energy can be created and destroyed in my line of work I know better, we simply take one form of energy to translate it into another which translates it into another and so on...
    You ever put gas in your car? That is one of the things that can happen to our "energy" when we die.

    Sometimes worms eat us.

    Stop listening to metaphysics calling themselves scientist and start listening to real scientists.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC
    By solitude in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
  2. Finally some support from the national media
    By ourulz2000 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
  3. Dustbowl Becomes A Visionary OKC Leader
    By Dustbowl in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
  4. A Model For OKC
    By Kerry in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 07:26 AM
  5. Relocating to OKC..Good and Bad !
    By 6foot3 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO