Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spookiest places in OKC

Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

mmm go check and see if the 5th wheel of doom is still out there. We'll wait for you here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post

Lacking both the tradition and financial support of its better known European cousins, The Pigboils School of Redneck Wizardry could nonetheless boast of its own black lake, plush accommodations and its almost inbred ability to confuzzle the muggles and protect the secrets of the magical world .... but then came satellites and those pesky bbs rumors, and slowly, enrollment dwindled.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 08-20-2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8
    i dare you to go find this place and knock on the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8
    mmm go check and see if the 5th wheel of doom is still out there. we'll wait for you here.
    y'know... one of the things i like best about me is that i'm not cut up into little pieces. i'm gonna try to keep it that way! : D

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere
    don't come until 5:30 or so. i'm usually not home until then.
    no way. i've seen enough horror movies to know that this is a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate
    lacking both the tradition and financial support of its better known european cousins, the pigboils school of redneck wizardry...
    something tells me they'd be more into tractor pulls than quidditch at pigboils.

-M

Man I love this stuff. I remember playing out at kitchen lake. I remember the bridge and the Witches house but at the time didnt realize the story.

Speaking of the purple church, I remember a rumor of a similar place around S 119th and county line, near Camp Kickapoo. Any one else ever here of this place??

I may have to go check out the purple church area. Me and my brother used to love to explore old abandoned house out in the middle of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1
    speaking of the purple church, i remember a rumor of a similar place around s 119th and county line, near camp kickapoo. any one else ever here of this place??
    i don't know any details, but i heard the same rumor about a group that supposedly met around there... kinda similar to some of the purple church stories... dead animals, nails in the road to strand motorists, etc.

-M

My friends and I would frequent a house near 119th and Rockwell (I think Rockwell). It was very cool. It looked like an old abandoned farm house - white, wood framed, two-story, with a basement. There were two 60's-era abandoned cars out front.

The first few times we went without flashlights and we wondered what we had been stepping on inside the house, and we wondered what was in the pitch black basement.

When we went to the house brandishing flashlights we found that there were animal remains inside the house (the objects we had been stepping on), and we found the basement to be vandalized with spray paint satanic gestures and symbols.

One Sunday night my friends went without me and observed to be what looked like a Satanic ritual of some sort in the back yard, and they were chased off by some guys near the entrance. There looked to be a fire behind the house with people around the fire. They were quite freaked out and vowed to never return.

Kinda glad I was at church at the time.

7. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    Speaking of the purple church, I remember a rumor of a similar place around S 119th and county line, near Camp Kickapoo. Any one else ever here of this place??
    I've been to Camp Kickapoo. Pretty creepy place itself... Wasn't a body found out there a couple years ago? It's pretty much an abandoned operation, former Boy Scout Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by proud2Bsooner View Post
    My friends and I would frequent a house near 119th and Rockwell (I think Rockwell). It was very cool. It looked like an old abandoned farm house - white, wood framed, two-story, with a basement. There were two 60's-era abandoned cars out front.

The first few times we went without flashlights and we wondered what we had been stepping on inside the house, and we wondered what was in the pitch black basement.

When we went to the house brandishing flashlights we found that there were animal remains inside the house (the objects we had been stepping on), and we found the basement to be vandalized with spray paint satanic gestures and symbols.

One Sunday night my friends went without me and observed to be what looked like a Satanic ritual of some sort in the back yard, and they were chased off by some guys near the entrance. There looked to be a fire behind the house with people around the fire. They were quite freaked out and vowed to never return.

Kinda glad I was at church at the time.

Are we talking about NW 119th?

Is the house still there?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I've been to Camp Kickapoo. Pretty creepy place itself... Wasn't a body found out there a couple years ago? It's pretty much an abandoned operation, former Boy Scout Camp.
    Kickapoo isn't in operation anymore?

10. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

If it is, I'd be amazed. About 10 years ago I did a weekend campout there and the facilities were in shambles then, and not a soul was around besides us. It was summer.

Sw 119th, I believe its still in operation. I know from 2002 - 2004 it was renovated. It was pretty shabby and creepy when I was in boy scouts out there. I guess that would be around 86 or 87. I remember the white house and seeing some animals hanging from trees.

Camp Kickapoo is alive and well as a mostly weekend venue. It is in use year round by Scouts and leaders in the various units in Last Frontier Council, and with permission, by non-council units and non-Scout groups.

The old abandoned dining hall from its heyday was renovated several years back (2000-01 time frame if memory serves) into a quite excellent small training building mini conference center with a mountain lodge look and two small bunkhouses with nearby M/F shower houses.

Of the two rappelling and challenge by choice - team building ropes courses operated by the council, the larger, nicer one is at Kickapoo not too far from the renovated Eagle Lodge, and has been in regular use since 98 or so.

Other infrastructure upgrades continue to take place and more physical improvements are scheduled under a new capital campaign that's been under way about 2 years for that property and the other LFC properties (which are near Arapaho, Boone, Sasakwa, Tishomingo and Lake Tenkiller.)

I've enjoyed many a weekend there in the fall and winter with lads, with lasses, with adults, and a few summers for day camps. While Camp Kickapoo is not a premier Scouting destination by any means, it is anything but abandoned.

On the body question, yes, not so very long ago there was a body found on or very near the Kickapoo property. A missing college student if I recall the story correctly. Kickapoo is an isolated area, even though it is close in to the city, and such sadness is not immune from its property line.

Other places are far better known for such sad discoveries including the also slowly improving Draper Lake area
    Last edited by kevinpate; 08-24-2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo

13. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

Yeah I didn't know much about it. My troop went to Slippery Falls every summer for camp, and had several places we camped regularly, but we only used Kickapoo once for a Philmont tune-up weekend. It wasn't the whole troop.

It sounds like Last Frontier Council is trying to maintain too many properties. Do they really need that many?

Back to spooky places...

I found this website while searching "haunted Oklahoma" at google.

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Oklahoma

While 'Slip' is used for weekend events, it's primary usage, and hence its vastly superior facilities (though they are rustic, there is a lot of decent rustic on site) is as the summer camp and large event property (district or multi-district camporees)

Kickapoo, though once a more active property in its heyday, is very active serving what it does, Cub Scout day camps in the summer, weekend camping by pack families or Webelos Dens, patrols or entire troops, Venturing crews, and adult training sessions. Kickapoo also hosts several night and a day events for Cub families known as Kickapoo Kampers each fall, although last year that went to May so as not to conflict with a centennial camporee held in Lawton. Many units use Kickapoo because while it is close in, it is very primitive setting and except for the WR jets taking off, it's easy to forget how close you are to OKC in a matter of minutes. I often drove lads up the back roads from Norman so it seemed even farther out than it was, and even with that we were usually only on the road about 35 minutes.

A lot of adult outdoor training takes place there as well.

George Thomas, brought into the council when last Frontier and Black Beaver councils merged in the late 90's, is the Cub Webelos summer resident camp facility, weekend camping, home to Wood Badge and other training events for folks that way and elsewhere.

Arapaho and Sasakwa are fairly small properties and are most frequently used by folks close in to them, and by folks who just want to plop camp somewhere different. Sasakwa was once a much larger active property, back when what is now Canadian Valley district was its own council quite some time back. there's a generation of scouters in that immediate area that give untold volunteer time to taking care of that property, prefer it remain very rustic, and regard it as theirs to pass on to another generation of Scouters. Similar groups exist for all the older properties, and I see strong signs of this already for the new Diamond H as well.

Diamond H, the newest acquisition, has vast untapped potential. If the capital campaign goes well, it truly could become a mini version of Philmont, sans the peaks, but offering a variety of high adventure opportunities.

I don't think the council has too many properties, although not so very long ago I did feel the council was not fully cognizant of the full potential resting within the properties. I am confident that has changed and well before my baby granddaughter reaches Venturing age, all of the properties will be true gems. I just hope my health permits me to enjoy time with her and tell a few way back when stories at some of my favorite spots.

Anyone know anything aboout Kitchen Lake Bridge?

I located this, but it was new to me

Kitchen Lake - Ghosts - Supernatural Message Boards

18. Default Re: Spookiest places in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I don't think the council has too many properties, although not so very long ago I did feel the council was not fully cognizant of the full potential resting within the properties. I am confident that has changed and well before my baby granddaughter reaches Venturing age, all of the properties will be true gems. I just hope my health permits me to enjoy time with her and tell a few way back when stories at some of my favorite spots.
    Sorry about this diversion. Hopefully metro won't catch it. Shhhhh

Yeah I went to their website and it seems that the multiple properties are serving different purposes and definitely receiving varying funding amounts. I assumed that they were all attempts at full on camps, like Kickapoo had once been. Diamond H is intriguing. That's the one at Tenkiller, correct? How large are we talking?

Is this the witch's house that some of you meationed past kitchen lake?
    Witch's house Live Maps

> Diamond H is intriguing. That's the one at Tenkiller, correct? How large are
    > we talking?

About 6500 acres at DH, with more available depending on certain conditions met as the council progresses its plan. By contrast, Slip is 1480 acres, and the others are each under 450 acres, with Dripping Springs being a nice 80 acre slice of paradise.

Back to thread.
    Although bodies have been located on or near two camps that were not scouting related deaths, there have been deaths at the camps over the years. I know of no haunted campsites though.

There are tales of something not quite right at the back corner of one of the smaller properties. I've never sensed anything myself. Some folks I think highly of are way more than willing for me to be the one to oversee work in that area instead of them when i've participated in work days or helped at a camp session. I'm told they won't go near that particular patch of ground, but I'm not clear why.

I have to admit Purple Church is pretty scary. I've heard pretty bad stories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyB View Post
    Is this the witch's house that some of you meationed past kitchen lake?
    Witch's house Live Maps
    I don't know, but it looks spooky from here.

i swung by douglas and wilshire last friday at lunch to see if i could get a picture of the sign at the supposed entrance to the purple church. unfortunately the sign in the google streetview is gone... no clues there. from the street, the place is pretty nondescript. it does appear, though, to be maintained.

i could see how getting there would be tough... especially at night. especially following douglas around the bend, the road narrows down to practically one lane and is quite overgrown with tall weeds and trees at the road's very edge... it'd be really spooky to drive at night. ultimately, i'd recommend taking post road to wilshire and approaching the location that way. the 'no parking' signs could just as easily be there due to the narrowness of the road... two cars could barely pass each other even when nobody is parked off by the side. -M

Good shot mmm you should have took the hike down the road was there any place to park and if possible conceal your car?

Quote Originally Posted by guyb
    good shot mmm you should have took the hike down the road was there any place to park and if possible conceal your car?
    there's really no place to hide the car... even still, a group of friends and i are contemplating going down there and checking it out... but if we do we're going during the day, for sure. one option is to park within a mile from this spot and bring bikes... the gate that is just to right of this shot won't block someone on a bicycle.

-M

Thread Information