Widgets Magazine

Thread: All Time Best Muffuletta

1. Default All Time Best Muffuletta

Since there was so much discussion about the muffuletta on the Prohibition Room thread, I thougt I would fire up a "best ever" on the subject.

To me, muffulettas are all about the olive spread and I think the key to a good olive spread is to get eonough of the oil cured black olive taste into it without making it bitter or overly sharp . . . just rich and smooth.

There is a little frame house on the east side Western just north of the 23rd Street O'Riley Auto parts store that is now painted yellow and has had a dozen bad eateries in it in the past ten years or so, but in the 70's it housed Nick's Importing, which along with Hiram's on the Paseo, were the two way excellent places for lunch in OKC in the day . . . lines out the door from 11:30 to 1:00 every week day.

Great sandwiches at both shops. Hiram's did a great avacodo and cream cheese, but Nick's served a muffuletta that was absolutely the best I have ever eaten.

I haven't checked out the muffuletta at the Prohibition Room, but I will in the near future.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Default Re: All Time Best Muffuletta

As I mentioned in the other thread. I haven't cared for the one at Jason's Deli. I don't consider it a true muffaletta. I want to try the one at Prohibition Room but haven't caughed up the $15 for a sandwich yet. I haven't found a good muffaletta in OKC yet.

I know it's not a true muffaletta either, but Schlotzsky's sure does make a mean Original sandwich IMO.

agreed... 'the original' is one great sandwich. love the bread.

-M

all this talk made me go to Scholtzsky's today and get a medium original on jalapeno cheese bread.mmmm. you can't beat it because the meat is so moist and the bread just right.

5. Default Re: All Time Best Muffuletta

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    all this talk made me go to Scholtzsky's today and get a medium original on jalapeno cheese bread.mmmm. you can't beat it because the meat is so moist and the bread just right.

FAST FOOD CHAIN MADNESS . . . . stop before it's too late.

I'll meet you at The PR and split the $15 to try theirs . . . just call the day and time.
    The Old Downtown Guy

No offense to the pub owner, but is any sandwich worth the cost of two fair to middlin' steak dinners at Cimarron, or one early birder at Jamil's.

I guess I'm just not a sandwich person

ODG, I'll have to get you a shout sometime. If memory serves, I think we ate at Panera Bread a few years back.

8. Default Re: All Time Best Muffuletta

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ODG, I'll have to get you a shout sometime. If memory serves, I think we ate at Panera Bread a few years back.
    Yeah, I think I drove out for lunch with you at Panera, and it was about two years ago. Maybe we can hit the Prohibition Room when you have a chance. I am going to try the mufuletta there next time I stop in and post my opinion.
    The Old Downtown Guy

9. Default Re: All Time Best Muffuletta

Well, I finally made it to the Prohibition Room for lunch last week and had their version of the Muffuletta. My oldest daughter was with me and we both agreed that it was no match for our memory of Nick's Importing Company dinner plate sized sandwich that would serve four and was a great to go choice, but a good sandwich in it's own right.

The PR's version ($10) of this classic sandwich was quite tasty. The bread is pretty crusty, fine for my taste, but it might prove a little tough for some folks, and there could be more olive spread on the sandwich, but the meats and cheese were first rate and I will try it again (requesting a little more olive spread). I took half of the sandwich home to save for another lunch, and it was still very tasty even after a couple of days in the fridg.

On the ol' one to ten . . . I'd give it an 8
    The Old Downtown Guy

Thanks ODG, I still have yet to make it over there and give it a try.

Thread Information