Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: NBA Team Name

1. Default Re: NBA Team Name

It's derived from their rugby team name: the All Blacks. We have a team called the Reds. Not everyone in the world freaks out as much as you guys do about simple color descriptions. Believe it or not, racism is not hiding under every rock.

2. Default Re: NBA Team Name

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    ...BTW, Did you know the nickname for New Zealand's National Basketball Team is the Tall Blacks? I am not kidding! Not that I'm proposing that for our new team. (Can you imagine? Take THAT, Charles Barkley!) In all seriousness, is that not the worst ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I cannot believe anyone would play for a team with that name. Hopefully it's related to some sort of ale that sponsors the team, or something like that, and is not just descriptive.
    They took that name after their rugby team, the All Blacks. The only thing I can guess on how they got the name is for their uniforms, which are all black.

To be honest, if there were not for the racial implications and political correctness and whatnot, I think it would be a decent name if indeed they decided to have black uniforms. It would be similar to how the Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox got their name.

3. Default Re: NBA Team Name

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    It's derived from their rugby team name: the All Blacks. We have a team called the Reds. Not everyone in the world freaks out as much as you guys do about simple color descriptions. Believe it or not, racism is not hiding under every rock.
    Beat me to it! This is what I get when I don't read all the posts before opening my big mouth.

Default Re: NBA Team Name

Guys....

I wasn't making references to racism - but the reality in the NBA today. A name like that wouldn't go over too well, would it? That's all I said. I wasn't implying or "freaking out" about racism. And yeah, I can read Wikipedia too. I saw that about the Rugby team, but my post was obviously made in light fun. I guess you just assumed the worst.

Default Re: NBA Team Name

cheeesyyyyyyyyyy

Thread Information