Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: NBA Team Name

Default Re: What should the OKC Sonics be renamed to?

I agree.

On the other hand, if this thing fails......it will take years to recover.

Think Kansas City Scouts all over again.

2. Default Re: What should the OKC Sonics be renamed to?

Jeez, we have lots of people asking for names of teams in the NBA! We need to raise our collective NBA IQ fast, people!

That being said, I prefer "Oklahoma" to "Oklahoma City," and I wish we could take the Drillers. Tulsa's AA baseball team is not well-known enough, although I am sure they would never, ever release rights to the name.

I Like the twisters, the storm references. remember the cba team the cavalry?
    How about 89's from the land run. How about RufNeks or Drillers. Whatever it becomes it should be Oklahoma and not OKC.
    Just a thought

I reevaluated ...
    I like the thunder. Could have a bison mascot or a lightening bolt.

What happened to the 'Tribe' or something similar?

Why not celebrate a little bit of our culture?

Native ... they will be the OKC whatevers, not the Oklahoma whatevers. That's apparently spelled out in the lease for the arena. Tis not an issue that's likely to be revisted ... bigger fish, fry baskets and all that.

I like the name the OKC GARFISH , we sure have a lot of them in are lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Native ... they will be the OKC whatevers, not the Oklahoma whatevers. That's apparently spelled out in the lease for the arena. Tis not an issue that's likely to be revisted ... bigger fish, fry baskets and all that.
    As well they should be the OKC ______'s. OKC leaders and citizens are the ones chiefly responsible for bringing an NBA team to this state. Besides, Oklahoma is in the name Oklahoma City, so our state is being represented. If Tulsa landed an NBA team, you had better believe it would be the Tulsa ______'s.

This city has earned the right to label it's team with the name of our city.

Personally, they could call the team Central US Prairie Dawgs and I suspect it wouldn't impact attendance much one way or the other, because the NBA would be here all the same.
    8^)

As far as it being OKC leaders and citizens 'earned the right' for the OKC on the team jersey, best as I can tell, Nichols Hills and surrounding municipalities, and not OKC proper, provide the homes of the major players amongst the PBC ownership. Without them, their vision, and their finances, Seattle still has a team and most of its players now coming this way likely wouldn't see Oklahoma except from a jet window.

As for the taxes that fund the arena, that's hardly a trough that's spit in solely by those residing in OKC proper either.

The team will be the OKC whatevers rather than some other name based far more on a marketing decision than some 'earned' right, but that to is it should be.

More important than any of that though is, the team is here in 08, and we found out on Doug's birthday, so on behalf of all Oklahomans Doug, let me say thanks for not being born in November
    8^)

Oklahoma City/roughnecks Black And Gold

Post Oklahoma City Roughnecks

Oklahoma City Roughnecks /black And Gold/ Mascot Oil Derrick Gushing Oil[QUOTE]

Roserocks could be an interesting choice.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Roughnecks

I think anything related to oil would be in bad taste. You the price of gas and all.

What about the name OKC SPARKERS for the burst of excitment our new nba team will bring to Oklahoma. We could call the dancers the glitters and the mascot
    sparkie. I like the colors of black and gold. just a thought

Default Re: Oklahoma City Roughnecks

Who is this schooner person?

Thumbs up Nba/okc New Name

OKLAHOMA CITY METRO'S

Default Re: Nba/okc New Name

Quote Originally Posted by SCHOONER View Post
    OKLAHOMA CITY METRO'S
    I'm not hating but....
    ...of course you DO realize the implications of a name like that, don't you?

Are they gonna play in Nikes or "Mandals" ?
    And oh yeah, I don't think anyone wants to see our team in the 82 celtics shorts, cause "baggy is out"...

lol

Even NY's basebal team goes by the "Mets", prolly for that specific reason.

Default Re: Nba/okc New Name

Nah! the shot came up a little short.
    I commend you for effort.

Default Re: NBA Team Name

I Cant Think Of Anymore Names . Anyway It Prolly Gonna Be Barons, But Red Baron Comes To Mind Thats The Bad Thing About That. Lol! Anyway Hope Its A Good One We Can Be Proud Of. I Just Cant Wait Any Longer For Sooner Football ! Im Bored To Tears! Not Enough Football For A Year.

You know between all the names suggested by all the people here on these forums, I'm starting to feel for the owners. This is one tough process.

The OKC Oklahomen?

Straight from the USA trademark database. The OKC Supersonics and Oklahoma Supersonics trademarks have been registered.

Here's the link:

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

It could be anything and it will probably sound stupid to half of us. A quarter will like it okay and then the other 25% will love it. A year from now, 75% of us will like it a lot. That's my guess anyway.

BTW, Did you know the nickname for New Zealand's National Basketball Team is the Tall Blacks? I am not kidding! Not that I'm proposing that for our new team. (Can you imagine? Take THAT, Charles Barkley!) In all seriousness, is that not the worst ever?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Straight from the USA trademark database. The OKC Supersonics and Oklahoma Supersonics trademarks have been registered.

Here's the link:

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)
    I suspect Bennett is simply parking those names so that some other sports entity in Oklahoma City cannot use them. Although I haven't read the terms of the lease termination at the Key Arena, I bet the language in it would effectively keep Bennett from using it here. He's making sure someone who didn't sign the lease termination doesn't use it. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    It could be anything and it will probably sound stupid to half of us. A quarter will like it okay and then the other 25% will love it. A year from now, 75% of us will like it a lot. That's my guess anyway.

BTW, Did you know the nickname for New Zealand's National Basketball Team is the Tall Blacks? I am not kidding! Not that I'm proposing that for our new team. (Can you imagine? Take THAT, Charles Barkley!) In all seriousness, is that not the worst ever?
    I cannot believe anyone would play for a team with that name. Hopefully it's related to some sort of ale that sponsors the team, or something like that, and is not just descriptive.

Thread Information