Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best salsa in OKC?

1. Default Best salsa in OKC?

Who has the best salsa in OKC?

I have to say that I ate at Ted's on May about a week ago and the salsa was so delicious I could have eaten gallon. It was addictive.

Also, I was surprised by how good the salsa was at Interurban on Memorial.

As an aside, does anyone have a good salsa receipe that tastes similar to Ted's?

Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

I've always been partial to the El Chico salsa and of course Laredo's salsa. If anyone has a recipe for either of those I'd love to try it.

El Chico's Salsa
    From a copycat site.

2 cups tomatoes (either fresh or canned)
    1/2 cup onions, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tablespoons green chilies, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
    Serve immediately or cover & refrigerate.

The Atomic Salsa at Ted's is much better than their regular salsa. And not too hot, either, IMO.

Iguana Grill's 'Salsa Bar' appetizer is good stuff.

I had some of the best salsa I've ever had at the Iguana Lounge the other day. It was their standard salsa. But, yes, their salsa bar has some outstanding salsas.

Thanks for the salsa recipe. I'll give it a try soon and let you know.

7. Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

Screw that stuff...Make your own...And cook it like a man....ON THE GRILL. WITH FIRE.

6 tomatoes
    6 to 10 jalapenos (use more if small, fewer if large)
    1/4 of a medium Spanish onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons liquid mesquite smoke (or not...If you don't like the smokey flavor)

1. Get your grill hot...Yeah HOT.
    2. Remove any stems from tomatos, then rub some oil over each tomato. Leave the stems on the jalapenos and rub some oil on them, too.
    3. Place the tomatoes on the grill when it's hot. After about 10 minutes, place all of the jalapenos onto the grill. In about 10 minutes you can turn the tomatoes and the peppers. When almost the entire surface of the peppers has charred black you can remove them from the grill. The tomatoes will turn partially black, but when the skin begins to come off they are done. Put the peppers and tomatoes on a plate and let them cool.
    4. When the tomatoes and peppers have cooled, remove most of the skin from the tomatoes and place them into a food processor. Pince the stem end from each of the peppers, remove and skin that has burned, and place the peppers into the food processor with the tomatoes.
    5. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and puree on high speed for 5 to 10 seconds or until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
    6. Place the salsa into a covered container and chill for several hours or overnight so that the flavors develop.

That's the gist of it...And it's pretty much how Chevy's makes theirs.

8. Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

The salsa I make in my kitchen.

It's straight from Mexico.

I used to love Don Pablo's salsa, but I don't think they're open anywhere in the metro now.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

10. Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

Chevy's is amazing. Ate at the one in San Diego and was overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by cuatrodemayo
    the salsa i make in my kitchen.

it's straight from mexico.
    your kitchen's in mexico? heck of a trip just to grab a snack!

my favorite is iron head salsa which is made in paul's valley. it was once a referigerated store-bought variety. from what i understand, they had problems with keeping the product fresh so they only sell a mix called iron head stuff... it's everything but the tomatoes. haven't tried the mix yet, but the salsa used to be dynamite.

-M
    Last edited by Martin; 07-14-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling!!!

13. Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    your kitchen's in mexico? heck of a trip just to grab a snack!
    Freakin' Dangling Modifiers, my bad.

95% of the locally-owned Mexican restaurants in the metro (that aren't on SW 29th) have very similiar-tasting, bland salsa (and everything else). Even Ted's is just a better version of the same salsa. It is very disappointing that most of the chains have better salsa than most of the locally-owned restaurants.

Ted's is better than Poblano grill and Poblano Grill is better than Chelino's... but it's all pretty much the same.

I don't like the "cooked" salsas. I prefer the fresh salsas. I'd try the Pintos, is it store available or only mail order.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I don't like the "cooked" salsas. I prefer the fresh salsas. I'd try the Pintos, is it store available or only mail order.
    It used to be available in Albertsons. So far, I haven't seen it anywhere else here in the metro. I've ordered it online and didn't have any problems. They don't spam you and are prompt with the order. You can mix and match also, get half hot and half medium or half green.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    It used to be available in Albertsons. So far, I haven't seen it anywhere else here in the metro. I've ordered it online and didn't have any problems. They don't spam you and are prompt with the order. You can mix and match also, get half hot and half medium or half green.
    Hey, they have a zip code search function on their site. I looked up my zip (Houston area) and it lists the Wal-Marts and Krogers near my home.

I'll pick some up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep posting the recipes. I've got about a thousand chile peppers of all sorts from my garden right now. In a few weeks it will be in the hundreds of thousands I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Hey, they have a zip code search function on their site. I looked up my zip (Houston area) and it lists the Wal-Marts and Krogers near my home.

I'll pick some up. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Awesome. They must have added that recently. It's been a while since I've ordered any, I keep a pretty hefty stock on hand. lol. It's good stuff.

This is an actual restaurant in New Mexico - if anyone is ever there I highly recommend going. Their entire menu is fantastic. Be aware that the custom of serving is highly different in this area though. Once they bring you your food and drink they ask if you need anything else, then they leave and you will never see them again. This is normal and they don't like to bother the customers. It's that way in 90% of the authentic restaurants in this area. I believe the big chain places were not this way - but the locals hate that. They are not used to being "hovered over" as they put it.

I love the salsa from Las Palomas, a restaurant on NW 23rd and Meridian. Plus, the food there is better than anywhere in the metro (Ted's, Abuelos, El Chico, Iguana Lounge, it beats them all).

Don't know why, but I think chili's has the best. I wish they would sell it at the store like the do with the on the border kind...

22. Default Re: Best salsa in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by sooners83 View Post
    Don't know why, but I think chili's has the best. I wish they would sell it at the store like the do with the on the border kind...
    I've got some in my fridge right now.

Chili's food supplier sends them basically a bag of salsa without the water or the tomatoes...They then mix it all up with some fresh 'maters and VOILA! Salsa!

My neighbor works for their supplier....So every now and then he'll buy some of the stuff and we'll make about 3 gallons of it. Except we change up the recipe all the time. Sometimes it's got more flavor, sometimes it's chunkier, but it's ALWAYS a LOT hotter

I'm a HUGE fan of the salsa fresca from Mexico Joe's in Stillwater. I've always felt that all the Joe's chain restaurants were a little overrated (yes, including the cheese fries) but the salsa at Mexico Joe's is absolutely amazing. Very fresh, chunky and yummy enough to eat with a spoon.

On The Border has suprisingly good salsa (Reno location)
    -- the standard they bring is fresh and not watered down
    we asked if they had something hotter and were very impressed with the new stuff!

other favorites are the salsa verde from Los Palomas and El Alex

also recently tried the new Nino's on NW 23rd & Ann Arbor
    ask for a "hotter salsa" and they bring the good stuff!
    dark green and very spicy
    (awesome tortilla soup too!)

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    Who has the best salsa in OKC?

I have to say that I ate at Ted's on May about a week ago and the salsa was so delicious I could have eaten gallon. It was addictive.

Also, I was surprised by how good the salsa was at Interurban on Memorial.

As an aside, does anyone have a good salsa receipe that tastes similar to Ted's?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try this one....follow it to a T however:.....remember this is fresh and must be kept refrigerated and if you don't use it all within a few days it begins to sour..You will be pleasantly surprised at the flavor, texture and taste....

You MUST use a Food Processor NOT a blender. Most people like their Salsa "chunky" that is why you need a food processor. You can Blend it to just juice but it tastes better in chunks:....

1 Shot of Tequila
    1 #10 (institutional can) can of Diced Tomatoes
    2 Jalapeno Peppers:......FRESH ONLY
    1 Large White Onion...not red or yellow
    2 tablespoons of Salt
    1 tablespoon of black pepper
    2 tablespoons of Garlic Powder
    1/2 bunch of stemmed Cilantro

Chop all of the above together to the texture of your taste....If you want it thicker:.....Cook it to a slow simmer then take it off the store and put in jars......
    VERY SIMPLE>>>>VERY<VERY Good.

If you want it sweet add Heinz ketchup to YOUR taste......

See ya next time:.......................Better than Ted's..............

Thread Information