Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping Question

Default Tipping Question

How do you all Tip at restaurants? Do you give the same amouint all the time? Nothing? or do you base the tip on if the waiter/waitress worked hard enough to earn his/her money?

I usually tip by leaving a dollar and they have to work very hard to earn that dollar also, certain criteria have to be met to get it.

Default Re: Tipping Question

$1???? Are you kidding me????

My Basic Rules

20% (+ more if warranted) of your tab if they give outstanding service

15% of your tab if they give Average service

10% of your tab if they were below average (i.e. don't fill your water glasses enough, or don't correct an order promptly)

0% ONLY IF they are absolutely slow or indignant, and it is THEIR FAULT. A slow kitchen isn't the fault of the waiter. It should be brought to the attention of management.

You get what you pay for, especially when you frequent an establishment.

Please tell me this is a joke. $1? That is outrageous, unless your general restaurant bill comes to approx. $4.

Waitstaff in Oklahoma make approx. $2.13 per hour. That's approximately 1/3 minimum wage. The idea is that they are to make up the difference between their hourly rate and regular minimum wage, in tips.

Tipping $1 no matter what the bill size is, is an affront on many levels, unless the service was so bad, then they really don't deserve anything.

I tend to tip 17% to 20% of my pre-tax meal/alcohol tab just about everywhere. Outstanding service will get a few extra dollars thrown in.

No, i am not kidding 1.00 is my tipping amount, and they have to be couteous and friendly and have prompt service to earn it also. What many people don't know is that if a waitress/waiter does not meet minimum wage by the tips they make the employer must make up the difference so as they make minimum wage at least so yes eventhough they make like 2.00 an hr they will still make minimum wage at least if not more if they dont make all there tips. It is just easier to figure the bill by giving them a dollar if they have earned it. I sit there and count off points for things as i am eating if certain theings are not done and sometimes they dwindle down to earning no tip at all.

I also like Dave Ramsey's take on "Sunday Brunch Tipping". I can remember when I was a waiter, and hated working Sunday Brunch because church-goers would rarely tip, or worse- leave you a prayer card. They'd look at you as a heathen because "you were working on Sunday". Didn't matter to them that I didn't have control over how the manager scheduled me or that I went to the evening service.

Ramsey did a rant on it last year that this was not good "witnessing".

6. Default Re: Tipping Question

45 on the interstate in the centerlane and tips only $1 regardless.

You sound like a grade A jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    No, i am not kidding 1.00 is my tipping amount, and they have to be couteous and friendly and have prompt service to earn it also. What many people don't know is that if a waitress/waiter does not meet minimum wage by the tips they make the employer must make up the difference so as they make minimum wage at least so yes eventhough they make like 2.00 an hr they will still make minimum wage at least if not more if they dont make all there tips. It is just easier to figure the bill by giving them a dollar if they have earned it. I sit there and count off points for things as i am eating if certain theings are not done and sometimes they dwindle down to earning no tip at all.
    Are you high??? I don't know where you received your information - but they do no such thing. In fact, regardless of how much YOU tip your server, he or she still has to pay taxes on and claim at least 15% of the sales on their taxes. For example: total on the ticket = 25.00 , you leave $1 as a tip, they have to claim $3.75 as income on their taxes. It automatically calculates their annual sales and counts 15% of that as income on top of their wages! Regardless of what they actually make.

I highly suggest you get a job in a restaurant and see just how much you tip in the future.

And on a couple of sidenotes, just so you know...if you are frequenting any restaurants you are 100% getting spit in your food. And you must be the biggest jerk in the state of Oklahoma - you don't tip, you drive slow, I can't wait to find out more about you.

What they make aside, if you do frequent a particular restaurant, the wait-staff will become attune to your stinginess, and give you mediocre service. It becomes a vicious cycle for you.

Story on the Flip-side, I went to a bar I had never been to before. The bartender was good-natured and always remembered what I was drinking -even as busy as the bar was. I tipped him HALF my bill (maybe due to being tipsy as well). I went back about a month later, he remembered my name and what I drank! Now that's customer service. I tipped him 20% that time.

These are people who are working to serve you, not your servants!

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Are you high??? I don't know where you received your information - but they do no such thing. In fact, regardless of how much YOU tip your server, he or she still has to pay taxes on and claim at least 15% of the sales on their taxes. For example: total on the ticket = 25.00 , you leave $1 as a tip, they have to claim $3.75 as income on their taxes. It automatically calculates their annual sales and counts 15% of that as income on top of their wages! Regardless of what they actually make.

I highly suggest you get a job in a restaurant and see just how much you tip in the future.

And on a couple of sidenotes, just so you know...if you are frequenting any restaurants you are 100% getting spit in your food. And you must be the biggest jerk in the state of Oklahoma - you don't tip, you drive slow, I can't wait to find out more about you.
    Well i'm sorry I already pay for the price of the meal and a tip is just something extra for the waiter/waitresses time, I used to tip a quarter or fifty cents but upped it to 1.00, They dont do that much really just bring your food and drink and drop off your check it isnt really that much and a dollar is more than sufficient i think for that. Also they have no way of knowing if you leave a tip or not if you pay by a credit card the restaurant just writes them a check for the amount of tips from the credit card receipts. Secondly they are not allowed to spit in food that is a health violation and if caught would risk getting the place shut down by the health department and fired. Also i watch other people tip and they usually leave change or 1.00 as well, I mean come on your already paying for your meal if the waiter or waitress doesnt like doing that job then they need to find another line of work.

If you don't mind my asking, how much do you typically pay for a meal?

Seriously, I've never heard of a restaurant "making up the difference." The restaurant I worked at many moons ago certainly did not. If I didn't make my minimum wage equivalency in tips, I was royally scr*wed.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, how much do you typically pay for a meal?

Seriously, I've never heard of a restaurant "making up the difference." The restaurant I worked at many moons ago certainly did not. If I didn't make my minimum wage equivalency in tips, I was royally scr*wed.
    It depends usually 9.00 on up

Quote Originally Posted by namellac View Post
    What they make aside, if you do frequent a particular restaurant, the wait-staff will become attune to your stinginess, and give you mediocre service. It becomes a vicious cycle for you.

Story on the Flip-side, I went to a bar I had never been to before. The bartender was good-natured and always remembered what I was drinking -even as busy as the bar was. I tipped him HALF my bill (maybe due to being tipsy as well). I went back about a month later, he remembered my name and what I drank! Now that's customer service. I tipped him 20% that time.

These are people who are working to serve you, not your servants!
    Well then they wont be earning my 1.00 then will they? which will in turn hurt them.

UH...who picks up your credit card receipt?? Your server!!!! The restaurant does not write them a check for any tips! Dear Lord you need help. And yes dear, I promise they do spit in your food. If you have ever walked into a place of business after leaving a $1 tip - not only does the server you had remember you, but everyone else in the restaurant knows who you are as well. And well, it's only a health violation if they get caught doing it by an inspector.

And maybe you really didn't know on the tipping thing...I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt...because otherwise, I would just explode. Now you do know. If you can't tip, then don't go.

Also, realize that "good" service is in the eye of the one being served. It's hard for a server to know what kind of service you would personally enjoy (hence the existentialism, you assume there is only one way to serve and that is your way) I personally do not like my glass to stay full - it messes up my tea/sugar ratio and/or soda/water ratio. And I enjoy my conversation without constantly being interrupted by the server. There are visual ways you can allow your server to know how you would like to be served. I'd be happy to share those with you.

UH...who picks up your credit card receipt?? Your server!!!! The restaurant does not write them a check for any tips! Dear Lord you need help. And yes dear, I promise they do spit in your food. If you have ever walked into a place of business after leaving a $1 tip - not only does the server you had remember you, but everyone else in the restaurant knows who you are as well. And well, it's only a health violation if they get caught doing it by an inspector.

And maybe you really didn't know on the tipping thing...I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt...because otherwise, I would just explode. Now you do know. If you can't tip, then don't go.

Also, realize that "good" service is in the eye of the one being served. It's hard for a server to know what kind of service you would personally enjoy (hence the existentialism, you assume there is only one way to serve and that is your way) I personally do not like my glass to stay full - it messes up my tea/sugar ratio and/or soda/water ratio. And I enjoy my conversation without constantly being interrupted by the server. There are visual ways you can allow your server to know how you would like to be served. I'd be happy to share those with you.
    The server puts the ticket on the table and you go to the front register to pay, so no they do not know. and why should i not be able to go eat food at a restaurant because i can not afford to leave a tip? I will eat where i want to eat and i will leave a 1.00 as a tip if the server gave me good service if not no tip end of story. At todays prices and economy they should be thankfull for what they do get in tips and not be so needy and upset when they dont get a 10.00 tip that is just way too much to tip someone who just brings your drink and food out, sorry.

So, assuming you may go during off hours, and may very well be some server's only customer, you are okay with them earning only $3.13 for that hour of work?

Not even going to go near the slew of names that comes to mind. It's time you come up into the 21st century.

The server puts the ticket on the table and you go to the front register to pay, so no they do not know. and why should i not be able to go eat food at a restaurant because i can not afford to leave a tip? I will eat where i want to eat and i will leave a 1.00 as a tip if the server gave me good service if not no tip end of story. At todays prices and economy they should be thankfull for what they do get in tips and not be so needy and upset when they dont get a 10.00 tip that is just way too much to tip someone who just brings your drink and food out, sorry.
    Where in the world do you eat for over $9 that you still go pay up at a register after you eat? I hate to inform you, but your server still takes care of those tickets. They do not go back to the manager. Let me explain how this works since you obviously have no freakin clue. At the end of the shift, as a server - you add up all of your sales from each receipt and give your boss that amount. Not the other way around. Whatever you are left with after you pay for all of the sales, is what you keep as your tip. And then you are required to tip out the bus boy, the hostess, and the bartender in 90% of the restaurants.

So, assuming you may go during off hours, and may very well be some server's only customer, you are okay with them earning only $3.13 for that hour of work?

Not even going to go near the slew of names that comes to mind. It's time you come up into the 21st century.
    Yes, they can make it up with the supper crowd..

18. Default Re: Tipping Question

Seriously, you all need to ignore this guy. He's just talking to get you riled up. Who gives a rip about his $1 tip and driving 45? Even if it is true, how often do you come across someone that inconsiderate? Apparently, not that often if you're so surprised by his statements.

KMF, deep breaths, girl! Don't let it get to you...
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

I give you... Jimmy Buffett singing "The Asshole Song."

NSFW (sorta)

Where in the world do you eat for over $9 that you still go pay up at a register after you eat? I hate to inform you, but your server still takes care of those tickets. They do not go back to the manager. Let me explain how this works since you obviously have no freakin clue. At the end of the shift, as a server - you add up all of your sales from each receipt and give your boss that amount. Not the other way around. Whatever you are left with after you pay for all of the sales, is what you keep as your tip. And then you are required to tip out the bus boy, the hostess, and the bartender in 90% of the restaurants.
    Um I hardly doubt that the server is responsible for paying the bus boy and hostess and bartended?? Come on they are on regular wage like everyone else in the restaurant besides the servers.

What a douchecock.

I'm out. I'm done.

You are so right sweetdaisy!!
    He is not worth it.

Yes, they can make it up with the supper crowd..
    Sorry, but not everyone gets to work "supper." They may not be scheduled to go in at that time.

So, let's assume that you, your wife, your two children all go out to "supper." Assuming each meal costs $9 (your designated price), and that the total tab comes to $36, then you will only still tip $1 on a $36 tab? That tip is less than 3%.
    Are you flippin' seriousl?

You might as well ask the waiter to pay YOU for that price.

You don't deserve to go out to eat. Stay at home, please. In all sincerety, you need to take a job in a restaurant just for a while, just to see what it is like to work in one. It's dirty, thankless, you smell like grease at the end of the shift, have to share your hard-earned dollars with the cook, busboy, bartender, etc. It is NOT, by any means, an easy job, especially when mess-ups in the kitchen or with other cogs in the collective restaurant wheel cause YOU to look bad in front of your patrons.

On second thought, don't work in a restaurant. I doubt you would have the skills.

23. Default Re: Tipping Question

This and the 45 mph is a joke that I think we all fell for.

Sorry, but not everyone gets to work "supper." They may not be scheduled to go in at that time.

So, let's assume that you, your wife, your two children all go out to "supper." Assuming each meal costs $9 (your designated price), and that the total tab comes to $36, then you will only still tip $1 on a $36 tab? That tip is less than 3%.
    Are you flippin' seriousl?

You might as well ask the waiter to pay YOU for that price.

You don't deserve to go out to eat. Stay at home, please. In all sincerety, you need to take a job in a restaurant just for a while, just to see what it is like to work in one. It's dirty, thankless, you smell like grease at the end of the shift, have to share your hard-earned dollars with the cook, busboy, bartender, etc. It is NOT, by any means, an easy job, especially when mess-ups in the kitchen or with other cogs in the collective restaurant wheel cause YOU to look bad in front of your patrons.

On second thought, don't work in a restaurant. I doubt you would have the skills.
    Yes I would still tip 1.00 on a 36.00 meal it is a dollar more than they had before the served me am I right?? it's free money if they dont want to do a good job to earn it them i will keep it plain and simple as that!!

just so you know...if you are frequenting any restaurants you are 100% getting spit in your food.
    And as much as I hate to say it...much deserved. Waitstaff is generally the realm of college students and/or those lacking "technical" skills. I've seen VERY FEW
    surly incompentent types, and I've eaten in restaurants coast to coast, 5 star to greasy spoon. Instead of a buck, use the "Oklahoma minimum" method - double the tax, then round UP for average service. If service was above average, I go up to the nearest multiple of $5.00, or do something like "bottom line" $20.00 on a $13.57 credit card receipt and let management do the hard math. Any service below average, be man enough to ask for a manager instantly, not after the meal is over.

Thread Information