Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MWC has gone downhill

Unhappy MWC has gone downhill

I have lived in MWC for 16 years and I sadly have to admit that I can no longer stand to live there. It seems to be overrun with thugs and vandals and only seems to be getting worse. Just as Del City has. I won't even go into DC unless totally necessary and only in the daytime. What has happened to our towns and neighborhoods? Can law enforcement and other city officials do nothing? It seems that today's youth could care less about anyone or anything other than themselves and the lack of respect and pride has gone completely out the window. So how do we fix this? Do we flee to other towns in hope of a better environment and just let our old towns fall the the wayside? I don't know, but I am in the process of moving my family to a safer environment. I just can't handle it anymore. It is just so sad that everyone turns a blind eye until it is too late to fix the problem. I guess that's just urbanization and adaptation.

2. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Are you kidding me?

Unless you live north of NE 10th, MWC is leaps and bounds better now.

Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Well I do indeed live South of 10th, but that isn't the only problem area. Just look around and you will see more than the new development on 29th. I believe there are some great areas in MWC, but they too are becoming inundated. I don't know, maybe I've got burnout and am ready for a more peaceful, serene place to live.

I can kind of see some negative changes in MWC- especially north of 10th. I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of Del City getting worse, though. It seems like DC has gotten a lot better over the past 10 years or so- especially in the past two or three years with the new development and the cleanup efforts. DC code enforcement/police/whoever seem to have really cracked down on the gang kids, etc. Yeah, there are parts of both towns that I wouldn't want to hang around after dark- or even during the day, but I think that southern MWC and also most of Del City are both less scary than they used to be.

hmmmm.... I have lived in MWC all my life and have lived from the Reno mall area (not Meadowood) to the east side by CAHS and now over here in the original square mile. Seen lots of changes , good and bad, but would rather live here than on the n/w side of town by where I work.

I don't know about you're neighborhood, the ages of your kids/family, or if you are a more private person ... but I'm glad I bought this house last summer. Surprisingly, even though close to TAFB, I don't hear much aircraft noise(maybe I've become immune) but have great neighbors, kids that play in the yards, couples walking, neighbors talking, the neighborhoods clean, safe place to live .
    Sorry you don't like where you are, good luck where ever you go.

I would put my neighborhood (44th to 29th and Sooner to Sunnylane in Del City) up against any in the metro. Nice houses, people take great care of yards, no loud neighbors, and yet none of the pretention you find in NW OKC or Edmond or Norman. Great police and fire coverage and good schools. My wife and I bought our first house here, and while we may outgrow it at some point, I would not hesitate one bit to build a new house here. The same holds true for several other Del City neighborhoods - such as the area at Judy and Howard and the Burk Way/Burk Drive area along Reno.

Like Oklahomajewel, we live in the original square mile and I wouldn't trade my home or location for anywhere in the OKC area.
    The homes are well-tended and the make-up of the neighborhood is diverse. Retirees watch over homes during the day. You can walk down the street about any time of the day or night and feel safe.
    My property values have gone up significantly, and my insurance rates have gone down. We must be doing something right!

Where is it your trying to run to and what are you running from????
    Those would be the questions
    MW City is a fine community with its share of growing pains.
    Del City the same. Both have great places to live and raise a family in..........both have places better boarded up and walled off from decent society.

Cant go North west cause the gangs have that area now.
    Cant go to Edmond as they have a larger percentage of crime than Mid Del Area.

Cant go to the SW of OKC as the Latino gangs rule...........so
    where ya gonna go??????

9. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Cant go to Edmond as they have a larger percentage of crime than Mid Del Area.
    Source?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

10. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I need to get shirts printed up that say, "Original Mile". Proud to live in the original mile too. Just wish everyone tended to their area though.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    I need to get shirts printed up that say, "Original Mile". Proud to live in the original mile too. Just wish everyone tended to their area though.

I'd buy two adult, plus 4 cat shirts!

I have lived in OKC/Edmond border area (150th and Penn). I now live in MWC 15th and Post area.

MWC is quieter, more kid freindly, you can talk to people in stores and on the streets, less traffic and road rage, feel much safer on 29th development than I can at Quail Springs.

While my only source is my experience, I can say that I feel safer and happier in MWC than I ever did on the "north side". I see less "thugs" in this area than up there as well.

13. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

4 cats? lol. Are you one of the owners of the many cat gangs that roam the area?

At any time in the night, you can go out side, and hear the cats scrapping it out. And they roam in packs. It's scary.

4 cats? lol. Are you one of the owners of the many cat gangs that roam the area?

At any time in the night, you can go out side, and hear the cats scrapping it out. And they roam in packs. It's scary.
    Well, I do have one tomcat who mixes it up, but rest are elderly ladies who sleep a lot. For some reason, the neighborhood cats have decided that I'm a soft touch for a good meal!

I do have a small colony of feral cats who have encamped in my backyard, but I am calling the OK Humane Society to see about the TNR program. (thanks, sweetdaisy!)

I don't see the point of this thread as long as you're of going into any shady neighborhoods in the middle of the night like an idiot you should be okay. Ive lived in the area for 16 years and went to school there for the last three years (go Bombers!) and felt unsafe anywhere same people go. Not that I haven't been some insane places; however the point is MWC has changed for the better and even a "kid" can see it.

Like to add, I raised all three of mine here and they did just fine and two of them still live in the area,,, though unfortunately 1 (one) chose to lower her standards and live in MWC.....hahahaha
    Hey, these are very nice communities and the biggest problems we still have between the two towns are from 1959 when Del City won that football game .
    MWC just never got over it.................................

17. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Yeah i don't know where youre observations come from own2feet, but you're totally off base in every possible way. I've been here 26 years and I still like it, and it's getting better all the time. No we don't have a city full of new homes like Edmond, but we also have nicer people, less traffic, the same sorts of stores, etc. I can walk around ANYWHERE (south of 10th) at any hour of the day.

I've lived in the Origional Mile, Three Oaks, and near Reno and Midwest....it's been quiet everywhere I lived (as quiet as it gets with an AWACS overhead). I've never been robbed, vandalized, etc. I have always had great neighbors that are easy to talk to. People watch each other's homes when they are away or for suspicious folks.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with MWC. Money and a big house does not equate to a nice place to live.

18. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I live in Del City for the most part of my life and I still live here. I work in MWC almost every day. These two cities that I'm in all the time and I see nothing wrong with both cities. MWC and Del City is improving.

MWC has nice constructions going on on 29th across from TAFB. I think it is pretty much done with just some lots to be filled in.

Del City has constructions just starting on corner of 29th and Sooner, which I hope will be similar to the one in MWC on 29th. Plenty of space there. The only block is that old house, which I hope the city will take care of.

The condemed (mostly) apartment complex in Del City on 29th and Sooner should be bought out by the city and make way for retail shops.

Del City have good exposure, plenty of space next to I-40. The old grocery store on 15th can be bought out by the city, including a row or two of houses behind it (the same as MWC had done) to make way for retail shops. Across the street, the city can buy out old buildings, gas station, the car lot to make way for retail shops.

Del City just need a mayor or someone with huge vision for the city. We're getting there!

I need to get shirts printed up that say, "Original Mile".
    You could count me in also if there were shirts for our area.
    I was born and raised in MWC in the same house I now live in. I lived out of state for a few years and when I moved back I chose to live in MWC. I chose it for my daughters to grow up and go to school. Wouldn't have picked anywhere else. I have had family members try to talk us into moving to NW OKC but I have no desire.

I've lived in different parts of MWC since moving back and always felt comfortable and safe.
    My grandfather bought this house in the "original mile" in 1964. The neighborhood has felt as safe if not safer since I moved in the past 3 years as when I was a child in the 70's.

Also if MWC were that bad I don't think KOCO would have MWC to be one of their cities for their On The Road specials next week.

I moved from NW OKC to MWC just a couple of months ago. I have to admit I love it here. MWCPD and DCPD appears to be working hard to keep the streets clean. MWCPD is much more visable and more personable than OCPD in my opinion.

I had pay a visit to the MWC police station for a background check for my job. Chief Brandon Clabes actually stopped to greet me and several other people who were doing business at the police department.

The neighborhoods are bad because of all the low rent apartment complexes that plague MWC and DC. If you have watched news recently you would see that both cities are fighting hard to take out the trash.

21. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    The neighborhoods are bad because of all the low rent apartment complexes that plague MWC and DC. If you have watched news recently you would see that both cities are fighting hard to take out the trash.
    I was actually looking at MWC apartments online yesterday and saw some affordable places. Cheap, maybe, but seem nice to me on the inside.

22. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Midwest City is up and coming with a lot of improvement ..we've done some work there. It seems like a really nice little town. We go through there when we go to Air Shows at Tinker.

I think some of the worst areas I've personally seen ( very poorly maintained areas) since living in OK are by the Airport, and by the Capital. I've noticed many cities have pockets of problem unsightly areas and a few blocks over, you'll have very nice manicured areas. It's all mixed together.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

midwest city is fine, the problem I notice is robinson and s.w 42nd area by chilenos, then the capitol area, and the area around north 23rd or 29th area and portland is kinda roughed up.. Midwest city has lot to offer, to me its not going down hill as a whole, maybe a certain neighborhood maybe but not a whole.....

That's the way I've always described OKC's slum/nice areas: pockets. My wife and I are actually looking for houses in MWC. I like the area, but admit there are some cruddy pockets. The thing is, if you don't want to live in those areas, don't look for/buy a house in those areas. However, while you can escape the actual ghetto communities, they'll still bring down your property values because of the school system. Carl Albert has a great school system, but I think the property values go down once you move over into the Mid-Del school district.

The east side has more trees and better scenery than most of the metro, so that's another plus to living in MWC. In MWC you have the economic powerhouse of Tinker AFB, plus close proximity to downtown OKC from I-40. I've also noticed a lot more parks in MWC than most places in the metro, but maybe I just haven't paid much attention in other places. Lastly, the section of I-40 that runs through MWC/East OKC is the best section of interstate in the area and it's never backed up.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

25. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I have mixed feelings on MWC. I grew up in MWC, went to Carl Albert (go Titans!), and lived there until I moved out of state for a while. When I returned to OK, I moved into some apartments in MWC and for the first time in my life, had my home burglarized. Perhaps this has left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I cannot stand to go to MWC anymore. Or, it may just be my disappointment in the declining state of many business areas north of 29th street. (Anything on MW Blvd between 29th & Reno pretty much looks like garbage, sadly.) Also the Heritage Park Mall area is so depressing...at least it was the last time I was around there.

Anyway, to a certain extent, I can agree with own2feet, as it seems the areas that I used to be familiar with & call "home" are all kinda run down and ghetto looking.
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

Thread Information