Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MWC has gone downhill

Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I have lived in MWC for almost 30 years and I stay because it is comfortable. I didn't have to stay here when my kids graduated from high school - I chose to. I live in one of those low rent (I call it affordable) apartments and it is clean, friendly and I can come home at any time of the night and not be afraid to walk from the parking lot to my door. I know my neighbors and feel safe here. It's small, quiet and nice to walk outside and have people say hello to you not just ignore you. I'm glad we finally are building up the city along 29th but wish they would do something with the empty corners at mw & reno. Why not put in a large book store in either the old wal mart or target? Every city - including Edmond - has its ghetto areas. That isn't going to change. People should really talk to the people that live here if they are considering moving here. It's a good choice.

2. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Remember the hospital has owned Target since it was vacated. That purchase is what spawned their move...otherwise they'd proably still be there. That's why you've never seen any "for lease" signs. Plus if you poke around here, I think I posted the rendering of what the new facade will look like after they start remodeling the place....which they said was supposed to be end of this year.

If you want to see real crime go to the southwest side of OKC. Come on. MWC is not that bad. From what I've seen it's doing alright but I haven't had a real chance to cruise the streets in awhile since I am living in New York now. Maybe things have got worse but I haven't seen anything on news9.com or anything lately. I remember watching a segement on gangs in that area about 7 years ago though. It looks as if it has cleaned up well.

MWC has a top notch police department in my opnion. We were driving down Air Depot near Traub Elementary. A little teenage girl threw a large rock right at our car. We turned around and pulled into Traub to see if she would come back out. Sure enough she did we shot down the road and pulled into the drive of the house she ran into. MWCPD was thier in a matter of seconds.

On another occassion I had to visit headquarters for do my fingerprint cards for work. Chief Clabes was passing through the lobby, he stopped shook my hand and chatted with me for a few minutes. I thought it was pretty cool the cheif of police was not immune to meet the public.

5. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    MWC has a top notch police department in my opnion. We were driving down Air Depot near Traub Elementary. A little teenage girl threw a large rock right at our car. We turned around and pulled into Traub to see if she would come back out. Sure enough she did we shot down the road and pulled into the drive of the house she ran into. MWCPD was thier in a matter of seconds.

On another occassion I had to visit headquarters for do my fingerprint cards for work. Chief Clabes was passing through the lobby, he stopped shook my hand and chatted with me for a few minutes. I thought it was pretty cool the cheif of police was not immune to meet the public.
    I would have to agree

6. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I've supported the MWCPD monetarily about every 6 months when I get some random ticket. Illegal lane change, Tag light out, etc... Trust me, when they pull you over for some random, not so important, reason, you know the crime rate has to be down. They're bored.

MWC. They are growing, I just wish they built to be sustainable.

7. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

MWC is fine. Lots of my family live there still and have kids in the schools too, no real complaints. Del City is getting better too than it was 10 years ago, agree. The only complaint I really have about MWC is trash mountain. Can they please stop changing the landscape looking north?

8. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Not to mention Mid-Del schools. They are one of the better independent school districts.

9. Thumbs up Re: MWC has gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Not to mention Mid-Del schools. They are one of the better independent school districts.
    100% better than the schools in OKC.

10. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Hands down.

11. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Yes, the school district is one of the best. They accomodate deaf students. Now with the state law require interpreters to be at least a certified level 3 or higher, it is expensive to pay them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    (snip)MWC has a top notch police department in my opinion.Chief Clabes was passing through the lobby, he stopped shook my hand and chatted with me for a few minutes. I thought it was pretty cool the chief of police was not immune to meet the public.
    I was on the MWC Traffic and Safety Council for about 10 years. Chief Clabes would come to the meetings regularly - the first time I met him, he introduced himself with "Hi, Lauri - I'm Brandon" with that boyish grin. It wasn't until one of the other councilmembers said "Hi Chief" before I realized who he was!

Very down to earth and fantastic C of P. We're lucky to have him leading MWC's finest - and they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Source?

shattered glass in the residential streets at night should be a valid source. people in edmond are more finicky about the types of automobiles that they think that have to drive.

...and would be auto crooks also know this. foolish enough to leave in parked in the street outside your home and not in your garage leads to a crook's paradise.

ive seen many stories on KOCO, KFOR and various other news stations about rampant crime sprees in edmond.

if youre gonna be a crook might as well go where the gold is at, and edmond has it in droves.

i havent even touched home burglaries either...

14. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

http://newsok.com/crimewatch

I can't really tell... Edmond isn't on this website.

And I can't tell from broken windshields source either.. no one parks on the street in this neighborhood.

I'm just feeling lucky that in 7 years I haven't been robbed.. knock on wood.. maybe the alarm and the dog helped?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

15. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

You know, actually I would feel safer about being robbed in the Origional Mile than in many of the neighborhoods in Edmond. Mireaux put it pretty accurately. You see a lot of robberies in places where the money is greater. MWC is very middle class average america. Edmond is more upscale and they attract the wrong kind of people because of it. If you're a burglar, are you going to go to MWC where the person may or may not be at home but probably does have an alarm but what they have inside will probably be more average than anything, or are you going to go to Edmond where your chances are that there is an alarm, but the person is at work and their stuff is more expensive?

MWC definitely has plenty nice neighborhoods with large and very expensive homes, but most people just don't know that. And I'm fine with them not figuring it out....it's a nice secret for those of us that grew up there. I was never robbed while I lived there, and no one I ever knew that lived there was. I'm sure there are people who have been robbed there, but it's not like it's a big problem. Now north of 10th.....whole other place there.

I've lived in the Original Sq Mile for 25 years and never had one problem.

Well, ok - I did have a dog come into the yard and steal cat food, but I'm ok with that.

My grandparents bought this house in the original square milk in 1964. I grew up in this house and after my grandfather passed a few years ago I'm back.
    Having someone in this house for almost 45 years now we have never had anything happen.
    Growing up we did have our one druggie house in the 70's. The most excitement then was when the police would do their "surprise" raid of the house. The a couple of years ago one of my daughters cars was parked in the street and broken into. Actually I can't say broken into since it wasn't locked. Other then that we've had nothing.
    Looking at the crimewatch it seems we have a little area right around where I am that is a quite area.
    I'd have to say compared to some other areas we've been pretty fortunate in our little mile over the years.

18. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

square milk.

Thread Information