Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MWC has gone downhill

Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    Carl Albert has a great school system, but I think the property values go down once you move over into the Mid-Del school district.
    Actually Carl Albert is part of the Mid-Del school district not their own.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    The east side has more trees and better scenery than most of the metro, so that's another plus to living in MWC. In MWC you have the economic powerhouse of Tinker AFB, plus close proximity to downtown OKC from I-40. ... it's never backed up.
    I work downtown and park at the Galleria parking garage. I can pull out of my driveway in the original square mile and park my car 12 minutes later. Of course, it helps that I leave my house around 5 AM!

Because living in MWC and working downtown is "opposite" of the heavy traffic flow to/from Tinker, I rarely have any slow downs even at "rush hour" times.

Yes, there are pockets of seedy-looking areas, but show me a town over 10,000 pop. that doesn't have a seedy area. Besides, my house is nearly paid for and twice as large as when I bought it in 1985.

MWC is a fine city and dont let anyone fool ya . Bad parts sure but that is every where.
    Besides if a town like this has Ms Laurie than it cant go wrong.....

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    MWC is a fine city and dont let anyone fool ya . Bad parts sure but that is every where.
    Besides if a town like this has Ms Laurie than it cant go wrong.....
    Aw, Shucks...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

The condemed (mostly) apartment complex in Del City on 29th and Sooner should be bought out by the city and make way for retail shops.
    Del City just need a mayor or someone with huge vision for the city. We're getting there!
    Well, the apartment complex has been condemned by the city ......and the out of state property owner has sued the city to stop demolition. As I heard at Tinker, the apartment complex is a threat to Tinker so they want it gone.

I have met the Mayor and he does have hugh vision for this community. Real mover and shaker so things will happen.

6. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

LOL How is the complex a threat to TAFB? I do want the place gone, but I'm just curious to know how can a complex that is further from TAFB than the new shopping center is a threat to TAFB?

LOL How is the complex a threat to TAFB? I do want the place gone, but I'm just curious to know how can a complex that is further from TAFB than the new shopping center is a threat to TAFB?
    Isn't 29th and Sooner closer to TAFB than I-40 and Sooner?

8. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

The MWC new shopping center is on 29th, directly across from TAFB and that location is very close to the airstrips, where the planes land and take off. It is very close than the apartment complex is further west side of TAFB. I'm wondering how TAFB is complaining that the complex is a threat and the shopping center isn't. If the complex is a threat, then so is the newly rebuilt houses just to the south.

The air force has what they call APZ (accident potential Zones) 1 and 2
    The apt complex is in the APZ 1 zone and dense Residential development is considered non compliant. Due to the age and condition of the apt complex Tinker would like to see the city remove it for that type of use.

It also has flood issues from the creek that runs through it. It has follded three times in the last two years. Most f the Apts by the creek have bad mold and other water damage.

Hope this helps

10. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I don't really care what TAFB complains about. Sometimes they just go too far. As for the apt complex, I'd like to see that torn down.

When Albertsons built their new store in Del City, they had a huge banner sign "Thank You TAFB" and I thought it was stupid to have TAFB's permission to build there, because there is already stores all around.

I think the whole Tinker argument is MWC's way of jabbing back at Del City for stealing their retail tax dollars.

Most of that logic stems from the days when aircraft were shotty at best and the pilots had a small fraction of the training they do now. What's next is MWC going to enact an Icarus ordinance that prohibits flying to close to the sun.

If there truly is a safety issue, then everything within 10 miles of Tinker needs to be torn down.

Planes crash, big deal. If people die for living or working in the area of the base that's life. If people are uncomfortable with the idea then move to Gotebo. (BTW: An airplane can still fall on your head in Gotebo)

You stand a much larger chance of dying in a car crash on your way to work then you do dying as the result of a plane crash.

12. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Sometime I question the skills the pilots have when they land at Tinker. Many times, I see planes go so low, about to land, but goes back up to circle another attempt. Sometime, it seem like the planes is actually going to hit a building! I think there was a day that a plane seem to graze the highway.

Thunder,
    those planes are practicing takes offs and landings...... Yeah I know about the height thing, some times I think you could see the pilots eye color.

Tinker is a big part of our buying power for the region. The Shopping center on 29th at Air Depot is strongly supported by Tikner employees and military.

Its not that Tinker is Complaining about the Apartments so much as a law exists (APZ 1) that was developed by the DOD (Pentagon). Now I dont know about the wisdom of that law but it exists non the less.

But , you are right, that Apt complex is ugly and does need to come down.

Sometime I question the skills the pilots have when they land at Tinker. Many times, I see planes go so low, about to land, but goes back up to circle another attempt. Sometime, it seem like the planes is actually going to hit a building! I think there was a day that a plane seem to graze the highway.
    These pilots know what they're doing. I can assure you these pilots are the best in the world and there is no need to question their skills or your safety.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

15. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Millie - their issue is with the NW-SE runway, not the N-S one. The area near 40-Sooner is in the flight path of that diagonal runway. Even so, it's still 3 miles from the end of the runway. Tinker lost it's battle and the thing is betting built, and I'm glad. Tinker tries to pull crap like that too often and then uses BRAC or something to try and scare people into doing what they want. It's total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Millie - their issue is with the NW-SE runway, not the N-S one. The area near 40-Sooner is in the flight path of that diagonal runway. Even so, it's still 3 miles from the end of the runway. Tinker lost it's battle and the thing is betting built, and I'm glad. Tinker tries to pull crap like that too often and then uses BRAC or something to try and scare people into doing what they want. It's total BS.
    Tinker doesn't volunteer itself to BRAC; those decisions are made by DOD and Congress. If you think BRAC is "total BS", you should research Kelly AFB, McClellan AFB, and the many other air bases that fell to BRAC. Tinker was being considered for death row, along with Kelly and McClellan, but Tinker commanders proved that the base was more productive in terms of output.

I understand the reluctance for many to surrender plots of land for an entity that can be seen like a bully, but you have to understand the importance of Tinker AFB to the OKC Metro. If Tinker doesn't exist, MWC doesn't exist.

It's better to have the economic power of Tinker and complaints of not being able to build nearby, than to have no base, thus no money to generate the developments in the first place. With or without Tinker, those places wouldn't develop. Realizing this, you have to pick the lesser of two evils.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

When the apartment complex is down, that doesnt mean that other development cannot occur, it just is a controled development as is the New Development at I40 and Sooner...............not stopped just controlled.

Considering that my mother is one of the original Rosie Riviters from Tinker no harm is wished towards the base. I would rather see limited development outside of Tinker than nothing inside Tinker.............

"Tinker lost its battle".... Who ever said that Tinker or the Air Force or the Pentagon was part of a battle?? The way I saw it, there was one washed up old general who had an ax to grind, and he tried to represent himself as speaking for Tinker, the Air Force, the Pentagon, the President of the United States, and maybe the little green men from Mars. All the military has ever asked is for communities to be responsible when growing near their bases. To say that "Tinker lost" is an incredible mischaracterization.

19. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

No entirely true. The accident zoning is something that contiues to be revised every so often. The most recent one is what caused the stink here with Mr. Ex-General busy-body. If the air force/dod thought they could do it, they would clear out everything from zone 2....stripping HUGE amounts of MWC and DC out. That's obviously not going to happen. We just have to keep dealing with these retarted gripes everytime they come up.

I'm all for Tinker support, duh I live in MWC. HOWEVER, I don't believe any group should get blanket authorization for whatever they want to do. They don't deserve all of their requests, and then the surrounding communities just have to deal with it. That's why Del City has lacked commercial development for 50 years and it's long since past time to throw that argument out the window and allow projects like this to occur.

The issue with BRAC that I have, isn't so much with BRAC, but with Tinker saying every project like this they want to block is to ensure that their encroachment zones are clear so BRAC doesn't want to take the base. Again, there are valid points there, but that shouldn't mean they have a blank check to take whatever the want. If they did, then if the base ever left, then not only would we be left with an empty base, but also a how many miles wide zone of no commercial development? Even if Tinker ever left, we do still have people that live on the east side that have nothing to do with Tinker at all. We still want to have commercial development....and by the way, the people that work at tinker go spend money at the surrounding development every day....before,during, and after work.

they were doing touch and go's ...

pilots have to have a min number of landings a month(quarter?) and a touch down counts as a landing ..

this happens all the time at tinker ..

21. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they were doing touch and go's ...

pilots have to have a min number of landings a month(quarter?) and a touch down counts as a landing ..

this happens all the time at tinker ..
    But... The tires don't actually touch the roadway. lol

22. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

Thunder, I think you might have fallen victim to perspective. Obviously they dno't graze the highway or buildings or anything even close. Take a look next time one lands, the don't come near the ground until they are almost 1/4 mile south of I-40. Plus there is a TON of empty land all around the runways.

23. Default Re: MWC has gone downhill

I know. I'm just saying, it scares some people. What if we have travellers going thru the state or tourists. They could be unaware of the vast amount of empty land down there and they see a plane so low, they'll think it's gonna crash. lol They need a sign, "Empty Land Ahead - Plane Will Not Crash". lol

I honestly don't think the police can do much other than get certain elements to "move along" to another area.

I've been living back east for 8 years but was fortunate enough to be in town a couple of weeks in early July. I had time to do some driving around. Some areas sure appear to be crime-ridden - more so than when I left. Most of these areas DID seem to be more like "pockets."

Does anyone know why the streets in poor neighborhoods always seem so dirty? Other than picking up garbage in front of my house (which most civilized people do), I am not aware of my neighbors or me doing anything special. In many poor neighborhoods, not only is their garbage that hasn't been picked up, there just seems to be dirt, in general.

East coast, I just think it is the case of the abysmally lazy who want some one else, anyone else to do for them.

Thread Information