about which springlake or the lawn darts? lol

Default Re: Any Memories of Springlake?

Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    about which springlake or the lawn darts? Lol
    both.

Prunepicker Guest

I liked playing yard darts. Mom would give them to us a couple of
    hours before dinner if she wanted chicken.

jmark you are probably right. She was a wise woman

Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    jmark you are probably right. She was a wise woman
    Used to hang out at Springlake in the 60's...had one buddy that got a minor poke in the parking lot there from a shiv...Jarts were from that era as well--remember seeing a few perforated calves back then...

Didn't live here growing up so memories are very distant. Think i only went one time and remember the fun house. there was a rotating barrel you had to walk through and some sort of spinning contraption like a giant record player that would sling you to the outside edge????

Springlake had a classic old-style Penny Arcade with all sorts of archetypal machines--it was a good one...I like the thing that made aluminum disks where you placed a big pointer of alpha-numeric characters to fill the spaces and stamped out sweet nothings for your girlfriends to cherish...Harold made one just like it for Maude in the movie and she threw it in the water--so she'd always know where it was...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Didn't live here growing up so memories are very distant. Think i only went one time and remember the fun house. there was a rotating barrel you had to walk through and some sort of spinning contraption like a giant record player that would sling you to the outside edge????
    The fun house also had some very tall slides where you had to sit on sacks to slide down. And don't forget the holes in the floor that blew air upwards. That was always fun because the girls actually used to wear skirts then. LOL

I remember seeing an Upcoming Show poster for Johnny Cash.
    I think it was back in his "Ring of Fire" period.
    I was pretty impressed. Even if I was only about 11 years old.

Visiting Springlake Amusement park was one of the highlights of our annual visits to OKC.
    The Fun House was one of the best parts. The Swimming Pool and The Roller Coaster were the other two best parts.

Did you know that the Vo-Tech people kept one of the old cars from the coaster and put it on some sort of "memorial" thing? I actually saw this take place while I was one of the crew working on converting the former owner's house into office space for the Vo-Tech administration back in the late 80's.

Rumor had it that Jimmy Hoffa was buried under the concrete used to fill in the old school, built-in hot tub/Jacuzzi on what was previously the back patio.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I remember seeing an Upcoming Show poster for Johnny Cash.
    I think it was back in his "Ring of Fire" period.
    I was pretty impressed. Even if I was only about 11 years old.

Visiting Springlake Amusement park was one of the highlights of our annual visits to OKC.
    The Fun House was one of the best parts. The Swimming Pool and The Roller Coaster were the other two best parts.

Did you know that the Vo-Tech people kept one of the old cars from the coaster and put it on some sort of "memorial" thing? I actually saw this take place while I was one of the crew working on converting the former owner's house into office space for the Vo-Tech administration back in the late 80's.

Rumor had it that Jimmy Hoffa was buried under the concrete used to fill in the old school, built-in hot tub/Jacuzzi on what was previously the back patio.
    I saw Johnny Cash live at Springlake, and his big hit at that time was "Ring of Fire". I think I was 10 or 11 at the time, so that would have been in 61 or 62. I went with my foks and older brother and his wife. Little did I know I was seeing a legend.

Saw Bobby Vee there...singing "Rubber Ball"...girls went wild--he was pretty short--like about 5'5"...circa~1961

[QUOTE=papaOU;267077]
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    My grandfather operated the big dipper. My uncle was killed on it (way before I was born).

There were times we did nothing but ride the Big Dipper. Always warned not to stand up during the ride. The story was a man did stand and was decapitated. Said to have been a sailor, was that your uncle?
    I'm not sure if he was a sailor, but we were told he was standing, had been drinking, etc.....it was many years before I was born...

13. Default Re: Any Memories of Springlake?

In the early to mid 60s I had two aunts that worked in ticket booths. We went often since I always got free tickets so it was a cheap night for mom & dad. I loved the funhouse. I could stay on the slide for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    In the early to mid 60s I had two aunts that worked in ticket booths. We went often since I always got free tickets so it was a cheap night for mom & dad. I loved the funhouse. I could stay on the slide for hours.
    I did/would stay on those slides for hours. My folks would finally have to force me to stop so we could leave the park. I've ridden big time roller coasters all over North America, but, the Big Dipper is to this day my favorite coaster ever. I'm sure it was my age as a youngster that was the reason it made such a big impression on me.

Thread Information