Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large Chain Sonic

I am seriously considering pursuing a Sonic franchise in Southern California. Believe it or not, there is only one here and it's an old location in Anaheim. We don't even have other drive-ins of any sort.

I think one of the big reasons nobody has opened Sonics in this area is due to the size of the market and huge expense in advertising. But now that Sonic has gone national with their ads (you see them all over ESPN), that issue has been largely addressed.

I've always liked Sonic and prefer it over most other fast food places. Yes, it's just fast food and lots of things there aren't that great, but when I lived in that area I went there much more often than other fast food places. If for no other reason, their fantastic variety of drinks.

So....

Would you say (speaking for yourself and others you know well) that people in that area go to Sonic more than any other fast food place?

Meaning, more often to Sonic than any other single chain like McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.?

And what is your general opinion of the food and drinks at Sonic?

Default Re: Question about Sonic

Drinks at sonic are good, but the food cant compare with in and out, id eat there any day over sonic. personally when i was in anaheim i never ate at sonic but i hardly ever eat at it here too.

3. Default Re: Question about Sonic

People seem to be addicted to Sonic beverages. I've never been to Cali, I picture the people there drinking more wheat-grass combo beverages than fountain drinks with sugary sweeteners added (yes, very stereotypical I know). I know a few people that own Sonic's and they have all made fortunes. Go for it, but good luck finding a manager that doesn't steal for his upper habit! I worked at a Sonic in Lawton when I was a wee young girl and all our managers worked their butts off because they were flying high all the time. The till came up short quite a bit though..........AND BRING BACK THE PICKLE-O!

4. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Go for it. I eat at Sonic more than any other fastfood restaurant in my town.

People in California aren't that different than elsewhere, believe it or not. I think the one major difference is that a small percentage of the population is very fitness and health conscious... But the huge majority are just like most Americans: don't really watch what they eat.

I can assure you that we have a plethora of fast food places and they are busier than those in OKC. There are just so many people out here and people here actually spend far more time in their cars and less at home.

The drive-in concept is better suited to Cali than OK due to the weather. It's almost always great here and I know Sonics are much busier in that part of the world in the summers when the weather is warm.

Anyway, the idea intrigues me. The cost of entry is quite high so I'd have to pull in some partners if I wanted to go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    People in California aren't that different than elsewhere, believe it or not. I think the one major difference is that a small percentage of the population is very fitness and health conscious... But the huge majority are just like most Americans: don't really watch what they eat.

I can assure you that we have a plethora of fast food places and they are busier than those in OKC. There are just so many people out here and people here actually spend far more time in their cars and less at home.

The drive-in concept is better suited to Cali than OK due to the weather. It's almost always great here and I know Sonics are much busier in that part of the world in the summers when the weather is warm.

Anyway, the idea intrigues me. The cost of entry is quite high so I'd have to pull in some partners if I wanted to go forward.
    Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.

7. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.
    Hardy har har

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Hardy har har
    You like that hey

Malibu, while I personally don't care much for Sonic (cheap food and greasy, at least use real cheese hint hint Cliff Hudson CEO), however I think Sonic would do really well in California, especially Southern California. I do see it a little bit of a stretch for someone wanting to open one up North in the Bay Area though. Most people are more educated, lifestyle conscious, and part of the slow food movement as you know probably more than I.

You are correct, it is highly lacking old-fashioned drive in style restaurants, especially ala car hop style. I don't think you'd have to advertise all that much differently than you would here, in fact probably less due to the higher population density. (This is coming from a marketing guy, not a restauranteur so take it what its worth). Weather is always great in SoCal and the car culture there reigns supreme. I've never seen a Sonic that empty. If you do end up opening one, let me know and I'll swing in next time I'm out your way.

Forget California. For god's sake, please come to Woodbridge, Virginia and open shop. We have ONE Sonic within about 500 miles and it is 20 miles away. I still go whenever I get the chance.

Sonic obviously doesn't compete with BK and McD, but for what it is, I love it.

I think their fries are the best of any fast food place and the beef they use for their burgers tastes a lot better.

I've talked to a friend in SoCal that said he wishes there was a Sonic nearby because he keeps seeing the funny ads on television.

I go to Sonic much, much more than any other fast food restaurant, for all of the reasons given above, and below:

fun fountain drinks (and in styrofoam cups, so they last all day);
    that cruncy, "rabbit" ice;
    tater tots, tater tots and tater tots.

Their burgers aren't the greatest, but what fast food burger is?

They also have a nice chicken wrap with light ranch dressing, only about 300 cals, so not bad for a "cheap and dirty" lunch stop. Plus they're just something inately satisfying about the drive-in concept as opposed to drive-thru.

A close friend's father owned all of the Edmond Sonics until a few months ago, when he sold them all back to corporate. He still owns the land and they lease from him. Let's just say, he's not yet sixty, fully retired, and is enjoying life.

On the flip side of that, it was a VERY hands-on business, and even as the owner he had to deal with a lot of headaches, mostly finding good quality staff (as someone has already addressed).

When I lived in South Florida about 10 years ago, I always wished for one there. They hadn't made it that far out of OK at that time, but I understand they're just about everywhere now.

SoCal sounds like a great place for the concept. Overall, I think it's a great alternative to some of the other offerings out there, and has a different variety of things.

13. Default Re: Question about Sonic

My favorite all time franchise is In and Out Burger ... If I could open one here, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love their burgers, their fries, everything about that place.

Personally, I actually haven't eaten much at Sonic. I rarely go there and when I do, I only order a shake for the kids.

I've tried a burger ( didn't like it much, but like I said, I'm a true fan of In and Out and nothing compares). I've tried the breakfast burritos.. they were okay.

Plus, I can't just walk in and order or drive through! I'm wondering why I have to add on a dollar or more to someone walking out to my car. It's not the money, it's the idea.

But, good luck regardless. I'm sure the novelty and concept will do well in CA. I like their commercials!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Yeah, the restaurant business is very tough. And out here, you have to pay people well to keep them due to the high cost of living.

I just think Sonics would be a homerun out here... And it's just a matter of time before someone else buys up a franchise and gets crazy rich.

Plus, I miss having them around. California doesn't even have a good beverage place.

Beverages are what makes Sonic IMO. I have to believe that is the high gross margin item for them as well so it is a big plus for an owner that a majority of people come there specifically for drinks. I am not overly impressed with the food there outside of the chili cheese dogs. I could have one every day if my cholesterol could handle it.

I would think that with all of the national advertising that is done now for them (corny as it may be it is still advertisement) it would be a minimal budget for advertising. If I were in a position to take on such an endeavor I would seriously explore it.

It seems made to order for Southern California.

You know, being so far out on your own I'd look into the distribution costs of your product. If it costs a fortune to ship your supplies from out here it'll be harder to make a profit unless you go in gangbusters and open multiple locations.

You should check and see if the Anaheim store is corporate owned or franchisee owned. Try to figure out if it is some corporate experiment that is operating at loss or if it is a franchise and making money.

I have friends who have owned or managed restaurants and drinks are definitely the highest profit item on the menu, which is great for a business that prides itself on having every flavor imaginable.

But yeah I think it'd do well in California.

I went to UCLA and OU and I can guarantee you that college girls and recent college girls will create the same fad of "going to sonic to get a drink" (meaning one of the fabulous non-alcoholic drinks for which sonic is famed) would catch on just as quick in SoCal. Just as In-N-Out has their 2am greasy burger craving cult and fat burger has their afternoon rush...Sonic could have their slice of the pie as well. In fact, if you're looking for a partner I'd love to go in on it with you. haha

19. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Heck of an idea. If I were out there, I'd be all over throwing money at your franchise with you.

I'd do what dismayed said...Check out the Anaheim location and check out the supply chain. I know that the Sonic locations in Oklahoma get supplied by what used to be U.S. Food. I forget what they're called now, they got bought out a year or two ago. But it's the same company that supplies Subway and A&W their meat and produce...So maybe they're national and it won't be an issue.

Heck the owner at the Anaheim location might be willing to go in with you on yours. It would certainly help on your franchise application to have an experienced Sonic owner in there with you.

When Sonic's first started appearing in Vegas, a couple of the women from my office went there for lunch one day...
    and I swear they ate lunch there for the next 4 days!

they went at least once or twice a week afterwards (versus closer fast food joints)

my reaction was...wtf? it's a Sonic ???

although they couldn't understand my fascination with In and Out Burger
    (since we didn't have any in OKC / MWC when I grew up there)

so I guess we're even...

whenever I drive by the Sonic near my house, there's always at least 6-7 cars in the stalls, people driving through, and parked and eating on the benches...

Fri / Sat / Sun night there's always a dozen or so vehicles there

Seems to be popular here...

My guess is the "newness" factor in your area in CA will bring them in initially,
    guess it's up to advertising, and the food to keep them coming back after the new factor wears off...

Best of luck to ya!

Personally, I think Sonic has gone way downhill. The food is mediocre, overpriced, and you have to wait forever to receive it. I think all of this has to do with franchise owners. I worked as Cliff's assistant for a while and he is actually a pretty decent guy and has funny jokes. He was really easy for me to work for. At that time, the stores taking a loss were the ones that were franchised. A lot of this had to do with poor managers and a lack of caring from the owners. The actual Sonic stores I had seen Cliff himself visit and fire people after reports of poor service or criminal activity occurring within the store.

So it all boils down to this - could a Sonic be a good investment for you - yes - but you have to be willing to keep your feet in the water so to speak. Make sure your staff is adequate and your management serves you well or else it will be a loss. And you don't want to get a reputation for having the crackhead Sonic in Cali.

I am a HUGE In & Out fan, but Sonic is a great organization. They do a great job recruiting employees in a segment that had always had trouble finding good help.

Ditribution costs would never be a factor. All Sonics pay the same price % over cost...no matter what supplier they are using. US Foods is their current nationwide supplier.

I don't know the details of their franchise agreement, but I doubt you can just have one store. They usually designate a geograhical area to their franchisees. Mailibu, you have seen the agreement; I'm sure liquidity is a huge factor.

One Sonic isn't going to make you a rich man, 20-30 sure would help.

23. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Will drive-in dining take hold up North?

NewsOK: Breaking the ice<br/><span class='hl2'>Will drive-in dining take hold up North?</span>

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer
    The newest Sonic drive-ins will be built close to the U.S.-Canadian border — and folks up north are wondering whether they will be seeing carhops trudging through 3-feet of snow to deliver a cherry limeade.

The bemused include Chris Dettinger, a second-generation restaurant operator in the Minneapolis suburb of Mahtomedi. The spring 2008 expansion for Sonic includes a new restaurant in the nearby Minneapolis suburb of Savage.

"I'm not familiar with Sonic other than the commercials I see on television,” Dettinger said Tuesday. "But my wife saw one in Arizona, and all they had was outdoor carhop service. I really don't think people are going to sit in a car and eat food in the winter. Today our high temperature is 20 degrees.”

Dettinger, owner of 3 Seasons Drive-In, has operated his indoor and outdoor restaurant for 33 years. He's seen how the region's cold weather has hurt sales at a nearby Dairy Queen because they are perceived as only selling ice cream.

"They have to do a lot of marketing to convince people they serve a lot of different food,” Dettinger said. "People perceive a drive-in as a summer business.”

So just how cold does it get in Minneapolis?

"Just as cold as it wants to,” jokes Rick Hiltbrand, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Chanhassen, Minn. Hiltbrand said the high temperature in Minneapolis is at or below freezing 76 days during an average winter, with average snowfall totaling 55.9 inches.

Drew Ritger, senior vice president of franchise development for Sonic, knows it is cold in Minnesota — but he's not worried.

"I lived in Minneapolis after I left OSU,” Ritger said. "I just don't know that the northern climate has been that big an issue. We've done northern media buys for a few years and that has really opened up a lot of demand.
    He points out the Oklahoma City-based fast food chain is also preparing to expand into Wisconsin and Michigan.

"We just opened in New Jersey,” Ritger said. "It was a phenomenal opening.”

Of course, Sonic is budgeting for snowplows at its new northern restaurants. And Ritger said carhops will be wearing warmer attire.
    "As long as it's normal, it's not a big issue,” Ritger said. "Now, if you have a blizzard, it's an issue. But as long as people are going about their normal lives, it's not that big a deal.”

With the opening in New Jersey, Sonic is now in 35 states. Ritger is so confident that the newest drive-ins will be a success that he's looking forward to the company eventually boasting of drive-ins throughout the country. "We don't have plans for Alaska, but someday, I'm sure there will be a store there,” Ritger said. "I just don't see any reason for there not to be.”

Also be aware that some franchises allow a first right of refusal to existing franchisees. So for example if the guy who owns Anaheim got wind of someone else wanting to build a Sonic in SoCal, he might claim the first right to build a store in his region and put the kabash on others from attempting it. I have no idea if Sonic allows this... you might try to get ahold of their UFOC and give it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Will drive-in dining take hold up North?

NewsOK: Breaking the ice<br/><span class='hl2'>Will drive-in dining take hold up North?</span>

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer
    The newest Sonic drive-ins will be built close to the U.S.-Canadian border — and folks up north are wondering whether they will be seeing carhops trudging through 3-feet of snow to deliver a cherry limeade.

The bemused include Chris Dettinger, a second-generation restaurant operator in the Minneapolis suburb of Mahtomedi. The spring 2008 expansion for Sonic includes a new restaurant in the nearby Minneapolis suburb of Savage.

"I'm not familiar with Sonic other than the commercials I see on television,” Dettinger said Tuesday. "But my wife saw one in Arizona, and all they had was outdoor carhop service. I really don't think people are going to sit in a car and eat food in the winter. Today our high temperature is 20 degrees.”

Dettinger, owner of 3 Seasons Drive-In, has operated his indoor and outdoor restaurant for 33 years. He's seen how the region's cold weather has hurt sales at a nearby Dairy Queen because they are perceived as only selling ice cream.

"They have to do a lot of marketing to convince people they serve a lot of different food,” Dettinger said. "People perceive a drive-in as a summer business.”

So just how cold does it get in Minneapolis?

"Just as cold as it wants to,” jokes Rick Hiltbrand, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Chanhassen, Minn. Hiltbrand said the high temperature in Minneapolis is at or below freezing 76 days during an average winter, with average snowfall totaling 55.9 inches.

Drew Ritger, senior vice president of franchise development for Sonic, knows it is cold in Minnesota — but he's not worried.

"I lived in Minneapolis after I left OSU,” Ritger said. "I just don't know that the northern climate has been that big an issue. We've done northern media buys for a few years and that has really opened up a lot of demand.
    He points out the Oklahoma City-based fast food chain is also preparing to expand into Wisconsin and Michigan.

"We just opened in New Jersey,” Ritger said. "It was a phenomenal opening.”

Of course, Sonic is budgeting for snowplows at its new northern restaurants. And Ritger said carhops will be wearing warmer attire.
    "As long as it's normal, it's not a big issue,” Ritger said. "Now, if you have a blizzard, it's an issue. But as long as people are going about their normal lives, it's not that big a deal.”

With the opening in New Jersey, Sonic is now in 35 states. Ritger is so confident that the newest drive-ins will be a success that he's looking forward to the company eventually boasting of drive-ins throughout the country. "We don't have plans for Alaska, but someday, I'm sure there will be a store there,” Ritger said. "I just don't see any reason for there not to be.”

I personally really hope the Sonic in Savage, MN goes thru! My husband and I just moved to Minnesota from OKC in October and Savage is relatively close to us! Although, I'm not sure how Sonic will do, it gets downright cold here, and I don't see too many people wanting to eat in their car....I wonder if Sonic could start building more restaurants like they have in Bricktown, and make it inside??

Thread Information